Germany - A good book / website for campsites?

Wapping

Reaction score
Outside of ACSI has anyone found a good (as in reliable) book or website of campsites in Germany, please?

I plan on riding the ‘German Motorcycle Route’. Whilst I can fairly easily drop in things to see and do along the routes, I would like to pencil in some campsites in too, if possible.

I know very little (make that nothing) about camping in Germany. For example, I don’t know if the Germans have a similar system to France, with a mixture of privately owned sites and ‘municipal’ sites?

Any advice, gratefully received. Thank you.

As ever, google maps will find many, together with reviews

Indeed, but I was hoping to find a book. Not sure why but there you go. In times past I would have gone to Stamfords but it’s a pale version of its former glory.

Pocket Earth shows some of them, with the added advantage that I can display the route on top. I’ll muck about in Google maps a bit.

:beerjug:

Indeed, but I was hoping to find a book. Not sure why but there you go. In times past I would have gone to Stamfords but it’s a pale version of its former glory.

Pocket Earth shows some of them, with the added advantage that I can display the route on top. I’ll muck about in Google maps a bit.

:beerjug:

books are expensive to produce and go out of date so quickly as these place come and go - it used to be nice to have the Logis hotels book but ... progress.

The Camper Contact app is my go to for sites and aires throughout Europe. Actually run by the Dutch equivalent of the Caravan Club , but for motor mining predominantly. But, as well as aires, they also show campsites of all grades and prices

https://www.campercontact.com/en

Thank you.

It’s odd perhaps that there’s a lot of printed guides to motorhome / caravan sites but seemingly very few (or none) to campsites.

I’ll download the ADAC app anyway.

I’ve yet to find anywhere similar or better than France for camp sites.
I use Archie’s appp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you had a look at Archies?

It’s an easily used app showing campsites across Europe.

Thank you.

It’s odd perhaps that there’s a lot of printed guides to motorhome / caravan sites but seemingly very few (or none) to campsites.

I’ve downloaded the ADAC app you kindly pointed me to. It’s pretty good, even for a non-German speaker like myself, as I can guess what a lot of it means.

Now to find out how to get the ADAC discount card.

I don’t need to be too prescriptive as to where to stay, not least as I won’t be on too tight a schedule to do each of the four cloverleafs that make up the ‘German motorcycle route’. I plan to ride them all on my Himalayan, so speed will not be of the essence. Whether I do all four at once or break them up, I haven’t decided yet. I am learning some basic German phrases (at the moment I am limited to counting to 12, reading a menu, ordering a beer and a room….. and warning of Spitfires!) just enough to be vaguely sociable and polite to anyone I meet. I want to camp, simply to save a bit of cost, just as I did a few years ago, riding around France, Spain and Italy, where I camped most of the time, with the odd hotel just lobbed in from time-to-time for a change.

If you don’t have a copy of the ACSI book we’ve probably got a spare one lying around that I can bung in the post but it’s going to be a while before I do it because I’m away in the morning and have no intention of searching through boxes of maps and books when I should really be finishing off my packing :D

A bit of tapping around on my phone in the German app, has produced an ADAC card. This German speaking malarkey is a doddle.

Hi Andy,

That would be very kind.

No rush at all. Let me know when you are back and I’ll square you away for postage etc.

Richard

In the olden days before the internet, I just headed to the tourist information which is always well sign posted and asked for a list of campsites. Not ideal but it always worked for me.

Indeed so. I make good use of the local tourist offices, who are usually very helpful.

Mapping out some possible camping sites, ‘stuff’ to see and maybe some hotels, gives me something to play around with. The total length of the four cloverleaf shapes combined is a gnat’s over 7,000 miles, so it sort of lends itself to do some planning in advance, particularly if I want to spend say three or four nights in one place just to see ‘stuff’ in the area.

I don’t see myself doing much over 150 miles a day. The Northern cloverleaf is 1,750 miles which would be 11 days, if I rode each day. If I halve the daily distance or ride every other day, that is 22 days or three full weeks. That being said, the German creators of each of the cloverleaf sections seem to break it up into 150 km sections or say, 100 miles. Something between the two might work.

70b714b163694262a6cd96d8225a9863.jpg

Perhaps I could do two cloverleaf sections out of the four over six to eight weeks? Though the temptation to do the lot (a bit over 7,000 miles) is quite strong, not least as I doubt that many people would have done it.

2b8572e8d1ecefa90241e98dff49d293.jpg

On the same lines; whilst the Himalayan is easy to service ‘On the road’, I can plonk in the known Royal Enfield dealerships, if nothing else to use my schoolboy German to get a cup of coffee. Assuming that that Google is up-to-date.

9f28bd1b03e0ef093011ec47bba5ef1f.png

Its worth looking at various motorhome apps as they have all the locations for campsites....Something like Park4night is one or Searchforsites is another (these also have websites). I have used these for years all around Europe.

There is another called campercontact

Backpacking websites will also show cheap campsites

But Trip advisor and google maps will also give you campsites

Richard as above Archies is very good whether you download the App or load the the data onto your XT .
The pic below shows you the whole list loaded into basecamp, you could of course just load in Germany if that was all you needed. It does also have the telephone numbers of the campsites in the data, how accurate they are (up to date) i am unsure of.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 30

Back
Top Bottom