Bent Front Frame, 09' 1200GS

ktompkins

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The front frame on my 09' 1200GS, with the vin, is bent as a result of an accident (no collision insurance). Can this be straightened if the bend is not too serious? I know I can look for a used one but I am concerned about saving the vin on the front frame? The bike is located in Kinsale, Ireland. As suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly

I did get mine straightened. 2007 GSA.
Was a bit bent after low speed collision with a car.
You could see a slight angle between the top plate and the top of the forks.

It was done in England, I can find the invoice with the name if the company who did it.

I do not know of other places, but Crossan motorcycles in Newry have a jig for straightening frames.
This is always done with engine in place. Thus the complete bike is bolted into jig, and front forks removed.
A long pointer is placed via tapers throught head bearings, and this will indicate the degree of misalignment.
Frame is then jacked back till it is central in desired plane.
Tel: 0044 28 309 850 257

I do not know of other places, but Crossan motorcycles in Newry have a jig for straightening frames.
This is always done with engine in place. Thus the complete bike is bolted into jig, and front forks removed.
A long pointer is placed via tapers throught head bearings, and this will indicate the degree of misalignment.
Frame is then jacked back till it is central in desired plane.
Tel: 0044 28 309 850 257

Good luck in trying that method on a 1200 “frame” :D

I looked through the bike's paperwork, but I only found the mechanic's invoice (this was done by MotoAlly at the time). I remember he also gave me the invoice from the company that straightened it, but must have lost it.

I can confirm, the subframe is removed for the job.

gs_frame_smol.jpg

Any idea what this would cost? If you have a contact number/name for the mechanic/garage that would be helpful. Thanks

I looked through the bike's paperwork, but I only found the mechanic's invoice (this was done by MotoAlly at the time). I remember he also gave me the invoice from the company that straightened it, but must have lost it.

I can confirm, the subframe is removed for the job.

gs_frame_smol.jpg

I did a search on Motoally.co.uk and they seem to be permanently closed. I will look at other options at getting the frame straightened. As a last option I may have to look at selling the bike as a breaker which will be very disappointing. The bike only has 38,000 kms on it. If anybody has suggestions it would be appreciated. I know I can contact BMW for a new frame but that would be $$$ and I would need the vin stamped in it.

Any idea what this would cost? If you have a contact number/name for the mechanic/garage that would be helpful. Thanks

It was fairly cheap. Less than 200 quid + shipping.
He didn't straighten the frame himself. He took it off the bike in the occasion of a service and shipped it to the company who fixed it, then reinstalled it all.

It was fairly cheap. Less than 200 quid + shipping.
He didn't straighten the frame himself. He took it off the bike in the occasion of a service and shipped it to the company who fixed it, then reinstalled it all.

Too bad you can't remember the company who straightened the frame. I would want to make sure if was done correctly or the bike would not be sellable down the road.
Thanks for getting back,
Kelly

I'll run again through the paperwork at lunch. Because I remember him showing me the invoice from the frame job and asking if I wanted it.
Maybe it ended up in one of the other bike's folder...

The bike is in Kinsale but your location shows Newfoundland. What country is the bike registered in ? (Thinking if you want to sell it).

The bike is in Kinsale but your location shows Newfoundland. What country is the bike registered in ? (Thinking if you want to sell it).

Hi,
The bike is an Irish registered bike. I keep it stored there and travel over to ride. Yes, I am from Newfoundland, Canada....just across the water from you on a lovely Island like Ireland! I contacted https://www.motoliner.com today by email. They say they can straighten the frame but need to see pictures first to assess the damage. I will only have to sent the frame. The bike would be as good as new. They mentioned there could be an issue with customs but we will see.
My mechanic in Ireland will call tomorrow and speak to them. I am hoping for the best but time will tell. I will post how I make out.
Kelly

Update: I had a dent in my rim as well. Sent the frame and wheel to be straightened. Both arrived back in great shape. I am very pleased with the work! My mechanic will assemble everything over the next couple of weeks and all should be good!

Attachments

• Frame 1.JPG
    Frame 1.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Frame 2.jpg
    Frame 2.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 86

Back
Top Bottom