Double Sleeping Mat/Pad/Bed Suggestions

If you buy a down filled mat remember do not store in its compression bag. Store preferably hanging in a wardrobe or maybe in a pillowcase.

tom

Slightly spookily a couple of days after this thread was last live I went into my local outdoors shop, Tamarack Outdoors, and there in the used gear section they have was an Exped Duo mat. I gave it a quick look but as it appeared to be the smaller of the sizes available I didn’t look further but did message Abermarc about it. Roll on a week and I was back in the shop picking up a couple of items I had ordered and asked if anyone had enquired about the mat. Nope, but they then started extolling the virtues of it, unrolled it for me, confirmed it was Long/wide version, said my sleep system would fit and talked me into it. It was ex-display so unused to all intents and purposes. So sorry to Marc, but I’ve got it now. Only £40 too. Bargain.

We’ve only tried it out in the house and haven’t slept on it yet but it appears to be excellent. 135cm wide for 2/3rds of its length (standard double more or less) only tapering slightly at the foot end to 125cm. Pumps up quicker and easier than our current two single Exped mats and has two separate chambers inflated independently- so no bouncing when your partner moves in bed. It rolls up easier and smaller than a single Synmat 7 too and is about 500g lighter than the two together. We are looking forward to trying it out as part of our ultralight ultra compact camping set up. I’m confident it’ll be every bit as comfy and warm as our two singles. My only concern is the outer fabric seems rather lightweight compared to our other mats. I’m taking some patches when we use it.

I can’t imagine these come up used very often and £200+ they aren’t cheap. The one I’ve just bought is a discontinued model but I reckon if you really do want a double mat one from Expeds Duo range is well worth considering.

I had a Trekology UL80 in amongst all my camping kit. Mrs seemed to find it comfortable so went and bought another one.

With a set of webbing straps and clips I had lying around I made a DIY connecting kit (basically exactly same as thermarest type) and hey presto we slept in the double sleep bag on single mats and had the best night's sleep to date.

Back
Top Bottom