88' 100,000km 80 para GS

AnotherGSGSGS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all,

At the end of this month another project which I dont have time for is coming to live in a garage that doesn't have space for it.

I'd intended to add an AH to the GS log book collection at some point, but this one came up (as they often do) at a really inconvenient time. However, the price was right and given plans so is the condition. Some much needed flexibility from the vendor sealed the deal.

It has no service history. The only thing I do know is it's an immigrant but has lived here legally for some years now.

I don't know if it runs as a start hasn't been attempted.

It is complete and comes with BMW plastic cases.

It's going to be a green laner. It doesn't need to carry anything other than day supplies.

A full refurb is definitely on the cards with the engine and drive train to go back to Mike for rejuvenation.
However.....

I'm really rather taken with it so I'll see if I can get it to start following some sense checks then a fluid change.

If that goes well. MOT and well, ride it for a bit.

The list looks something like this at the moment:
Change the front wheel to a tubed 21" typical 36 spoke rim using a wheel I already have.
320mm brake conversion.
Caliper swap.
Replace the mudguards with new modern stuff
LED lighting conversion
Frame powder coat and strengthen.
Fit an 18" tubed rim from a mono PD (already have).
Construct new or hack about the existing rear subframe to remove surplus metal.
Single seat conversion.
Fork swap with RM125 conventional forks (already have).
Paint the tank
General cosmetics.

This is going to be evolution rather than revolution.
It's entirely possible that this won't get started for sometime. I know nothing about these bikes so starting the post early so that I can begin working through the complications that inevitably arise. Stupid questions guaranteed.

Two other bikes need my immediate attention before I dig too deeply into this one, so if there are any signs of mechanical problems or it won't start it will have to wait.

A few pics here:
https://flic.kr/p/2ocYXMu

Went to pick up the R80 today from Mike.
After an uneventful 2.5hrs had a chat, had a brew then got loaded up.

0dfa884885dc566b3ee814f0e6141b14.jpg

An uneventful journey home and into the garage.

Someone has had a little interface with the floor at some point. Stress damage to plastics and graze marks in a few places.

0b3152dd195400a84ac72095c81a009b.jpg

The laquer is yellowed and flaking on the badges and the paint on the tank is heavily faded.

2104e68b43dd65e6127b00312e0338f8.jpg

There is surface corrosion all over on the Ali it's clearly been left out in the elements or a damp place.

57a799f5dd1abc290b2c849779c8f7cf.jpg

fb0f97ba811a8f4fc4ae47876a5deeb7.jpg

The exhaust looks like it's s/s and is in good condition.
da1dc60ed36d7157b098bebdff3a6afb.jpg

The handlebars are.....well....

6297b0c35c9829e5dc63fa00b139be8e.jpg

Tomorrow's job to see if it will start.

Today's progress.

I put a temporary battery on, pulled the plugs and gingerly exercised the kick lever..... Movement.
More movement turned into a spark on both cylinders.
This was looking promising

Pulling the dipstick....clean oil and plenty of it.

Open up the airbox..... Clean new filter.

Someone has been here recently.

The neutral light was out, so I pressed the starter button knowing the bike was not in gear.... Nothing.

Pulling in the clutch and over it turned.

Fuel taps open, fuel in the filters a bit of cranking, throttle and easy start and it roars into life. Add a bit of choke and it settles to an idle. Happy bloody days.

All the lights work.....

This is looking like it could be an MOT soon.

Lifting the fork gaiters, near side dry as bone....
Offside, this is not looking good I see oily dirt.

Yep seals gone.

It's going no where for a bit. There is oily mud around the final drive that also needs investigation.

I thought I had photos sorted using crapatalk....but no not allowed tonight and I'll be damned if I get Flickr to work with this page either. So here is the album link. https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/XH502811uf

Great write up, looking forward to seeing this Phoenix emerge from the ashes

Thanks both for your kind words. Though I'm going to have to come up with some variations to yours mad hatter which is looking fab and a good source of inspiration. I do very much like the blue frame / white plastic combo.

Today has been a “colourful” day.

Get started about 9.30 with a cup of rocket fuel (bulletproof coffee), my assistant joins me in the hope of biscuits. The mission is replacing the fork seals and oil.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/0LY096tC97

A smoking gun is noted indicating quite how long this poor thing has possibly stood for, it certainly looks it!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/

Brake pads look good, shame the caliper’s life is due to be cut short, but it will live to see a bit more service yet.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/8gcZ6pC7XE

Front Wheel shaft comes out easy, no sign of any grease though.

You b45t4rd! Was the cry when the first bolt I tried on the wheel brace sheared off. It breaks with very little effort.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/00bh001686

I then move to the offside, applying a bit of heat the two lower yoke bolts come loose quite easily.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/59iKRE7034

I go back to remove the nearside two lower yoke bolts. I apply a bit of force without heat and see the bolt move, but feels tight.
I work it back and forth a bit and can see the end of the bolt turning.
I attempt full removal……B45t4rd!!! There goes another bolt sheared off, what the f@*k!

The top retaining nut does not want to move. Time to get the ham-fisted buffoon wrenches out.
The switch and lever assembly bolts remove easily, despite looking quite corroded.
Handlebar bolts all come loose easily despite looking terrible.

Caliper bolts all come out easily, OMG is that copper slip I see a hint of, surely not!!!

The fork brace bolt with retaining ring is fubar. The Allen socket just slips. Crap, I’ll deal with that later.
Damper rod retaining bolts both come out easily.

On to removing the retaining ring. Easy with the angled tweezers.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/9572X1A185

Now its time to remove the stripped cross brace bolt.
Outcomes the Dremel. I clean up the head so I have clean metal to weld to and dig out the stick welder.
I take one of the sheared bolts and clean it up and grind it down to fit inside the Allen bolt head then weld it in place.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/2c46449x8f

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/8uE3X140ax

Out it comes with minimal effort, take that you insolent little s**t
Now its time for the real pain and misery to start tackle the sheared bolts.
I sharpen a punch and start the painful process of drilling out with increasing size drills.
Despite my best efforts to hit central, I manage to be off by the time I start drilling.
I blame the unevenness of the shearing.
I thread the hole M5 apply a lot of heat whilst cooling the M5 bolt, noting not even a 1 degree of movement.
Stuck Solid. After more faffing about, I declare war and go all out.
I’m slightly off centre, in goes the 7.5mm drill bit followed by the M8 Tap.
After slow progress I see the tap nearing the other side, there is still remnants of the steel bolt left which the tap is cutting into.
Even as the tap chews its way through the bolt, no sign of it moving. Whatever has gone on there, it’s fused good and proper.
Hydrogen embrittlement of the steel maybe with some galvanic corrosion?

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/Rz43mjJ5M2

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/feK02J1AHa

By this time its 3.30, the day has vanished quickly.
Drilling out the lower yoke in situ was hard and I struggled to keep the drill central.
This time I got in with the heavy mob straight off, and just drill out to 7.5mm and run the M8 tap through it.
Again, remnants of the steel bolt show no sign of releasing they are properly fused to the ali.
Its now 4.30 and time to start reassembly,
The rogues gallery, look at the state of that lot!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/RjAV55dFpV

I close up for the day part way through reassembly. The upper parts of the chrome fork tubes that were exposed are pitted.
I’ve ordered some gaiters to cover the up for the MOT. The important lower part below the OEM gaiters are all good and perfect.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/51176983@N02/o766B6kT45

Hmmmm, when attempting to centralise a drill bit in a broken bolt . . It helps to use a Transfer Punch of the correct diameter (even better if the broken bolt is below the surface so the punch can be accurately centred).

After years of drilling bolts off-centre I invested in sets of imperial and metric punches from here:

https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Measurement/Punches-Scribes/Transfer-Punch-Sets

After all, a guy can't have enough tools ;).

(no connection to the seller).

Bob.

You have my sympathy with the sheared bolts. Unless you’ve got an F big milling machine it’s really hard to sort them out tidily with hand tools. Keep at it though, it’ll pay back all of the graft when it’s finished

A lot has happened since the last update. As the bike ran it was time to start thinking about an MOT at the very least to see what needs doing.
The shocks are all back together and fitted with a 7.5w oil.

The faulty neutral light was down to the connector under the seat, well not been connected. A clumsily placed cable tie seem to be the cause. A closer inspection revealed an all together grimier tale.

As can be seen, the thing is covered in grime. Using some cleaning wipes I set about removing the worst of the oily paw prints and in-grained dirt. Polishing a turd is quite literally true given the corrosion, sun fade and cracking of paint. However, it does look a little less neglected. The wheels are going to need a lot of work so I use the soiled cloths used elsewhere to remove the worst of the grime. At least it now looks like someone does actually at least care a bit about it. The wheels are patchy clean but I get bored quickly with cleaning and polishing so do a bit at a time.

Those bars have got to go. I pinch the 22mm Renthal road bars from another bike that's doing nothing. I have some new Gary Burton bars to go on but they are bare steel.

The pannier rails will be removed eventually, as I have metal mule cases and MM rails on the other two GS's so should I ever feel the urge to burden the little mule with the tin boxes I'll make some frames to the suit the MM cases. However, judging by the look of this, that is a battle for another day.

The next job to tackle is the loose rear shock. It is missing a bush to fit inside the rubber liner and onto the pin in the FD.
I have some 25mm ali bar stock. Time to put the little ML4 to use. Jobs like this are the sole reason I bought it.

After lots of check and recheck with the vernier I end up with something like. Not bad for a first attempt. Never done anything like this before.

I'll need to make a better washer but for now a couple of steel jobbies will do.

A call to the MOT tester and he can fit me in tomorrow. I load the bike onto the trailer as I'm expecting them to find quite a list so there is no point taxing and insuring to just sit in the garage.

We get down there and remarkably it passes! It does need a throttle balance though.

It's game on for am airhead breakfast meet in the peaks. F@$k me, how did this happen? I thought this was a wreck fit only for bits or full refurb.

I fit the power supply for the heated jacket, flying lead for the battery charger, 12v socket and phone holder. On the rear rack Kriega tool bag and karrimor wash bag for any small bits and bobs.

Time to balance the throttle. I'll be damned if I can find my carbtune. I get some clear tube and decide to have ago at making a manometer. EPIC fail. Far too much displacement on the small tube. I will have to do this the hard way.

I back the throttle limiter screws right off so they are well clear. With a bit of trial and error and careful touch I'm somewhere near and its revving much better and idling better off choke.

The ride over to the peaks is about 1hr 15. It goes very well. About 45 mins into the journey I need to pull over it's over revving on idle. A 1/4 turn and off we go.
That becomes a bit to much and it's nearly stalling. 1/8 back again and we are golden.
The suspension is firm but pliant, we will see how this fairs offroad.

A nice breakfast, lots of sh1t talked (at least on my part anyway) and too much coffee drank and its time for the trio to part company.

At this point I decide the Renthal road bars are absolutely fecking horrible on this bike. Its doing my shoulders no good. On the way back I know I'm going to pass by Macclesfield old road. I can't resist a quick play.

I decide to ride up as momentum is my friend, I'm not sure how much these tyres (Metzeler sahara 3) will cope with the babies heads on a decent with a buffoon like me who is not used to the bike.

The bars make it hard work for me in standing position but the bike practically flies up with no bother. That's with harder road pressures in the tyres too. Me and this little white GS are going to become firm friends.
To be fair I've ridden my LC GSA up and down this lane many times so know it well and its about as tough as any lane I'm likely to travel in the UK. I'll change them eventually but for now they'll do just fine.
The LC struggles with those big fat tyres it really moves around on the rocks. This seemed to just cut the gaps without trying to boulder surf!

The ride home flies by the little bike and I are going to have lots of fun. Once its been on a diet and lost some of the touring podge it will be bloody brilliant. What a little gem it is.

It also turns out that prior to moving though 2 trade hands it was a single owner bike from new imported by the original owner and used as a commuter. Despite the grotty appearance mechanically it's pretty sound actually.

The paralever boots and HT leads need replacing ASAP as the rubber is perished so they wont last much longer. Good opportunity to lube the splines. Cables also all need lube they feel heavy.

I'll ride this for a bit now while I sort the other bikes and finish lacing a 1150 rim on the a 1200 LC rear hub for the supertanker. Those 170 rear tyres are terrible off-road.

I nab the rox risers off the 1150 as that's going no where anytime soon so it can donate them to the cause.
Ergo's feel better already but lets see what its like after 100 miles. They still need to be wider and less arc for my taste. I'll be doing a trip to the powder coaters soon to get the 1150's subframe done so I'll get the powder coater to do the new bars at the same time.

Good stuff. That 'macclesfield old road', is that what the track from Buxton up to Derbyshire bridge is called? Or is this a different one?

Where in the Peaks did you have this breakfast meet? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom