Electrical problem

dub 24

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey folks hoping some one can shed some light on my current situation. I went out this morning and the battery light was showing up. I assumed it was because I hadn't used the bike in over 10 days and assumed it would go out once the bike got a chance to run . It didn't bike eventually died with all power going . I got a new battery as the one that was in there was ancient. Fitted new battery and light still on.
I connected up the GS 911 and got the following code
40296 Terminal 30(Vbat) over voltage the fault is currently present .
Does that point to an alternator problem or something else .
Any help advice as always greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Dub 24

electrical problems

Model year would bea great help alright:agree
2010 GS hexhead..

Could be that yokee that hangs off the alternator alright

Cheers Santa

most likely the regulator - the thingy that converts the AC output from the alternator to the DC voltage for the battery. If a diode breaks down to low resistance the output voltage (your Vbat)will rise.

I have no idea if this device is bolted to the alternator or a separate unit somewhere. Never had a problem with such things since I stopped buying Hondas.

1st things first thanks for all the advice,it's really appreciated.

So I went out to the bike a little while ago to measure the battery voltage .

Engine off .. 12.6 volts.

Engine running , it drops to 11.6 volts.

Between 1500 RPM and 4000 RPM the voltage drops and fluctuates between 8 odd and 11 odd volts ,which means in my very very limited electrical knowledge it's possibly an alternator problem..

As Kirby suggested it could also be the belt.

Plan tomorrow or the next day is check the belt and remove the alternator to have it checked.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, all are much appreciated so please keep them coming.

Cheers.

Dub 24

if the battery is being fed AC volts from the fucked regulator then your DC voltmeter won't give you a proper reading, as shown by the fluctuating reading. Did you try the voltmeter on the AC range? Don't do this for long...

Cheers Wessie.

I just grabbed the make a haynes of it manual and it confirms in it's troubleshooting section that any voltage irregularities are likely the cause of a fauly alternator or it's in built voltage regulator.

I think I''l pull the alternator anyway tommorow unless someone on here advises different and give it to a local crowd who are old school automotive electricans and see what they say ..

Have you confirmed alternator is actually turning with engine and not seized? The motor will spin the belt even if alternator is seized.

Thanks Dugster. I actually haven't gone near the alternator as yet . I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

No worries, mine died , nippon denso unit, I'm not sure if the bosch ones are as prone.

I’ve just had two 1200 dropped off today on breakdown trucks - both have seized alternators. One has shredded the belt and is silent when turning the engine over, the other one still has a belt but screeches and clanks and will barely turn over. Another two fecked alternators to join the pile in the corner of my garage. Here’s a very small sample from my selection :D

Attachments

• B9E169AA-DC81-463C-B380-D3D51604B4AB.jpeg
    B9E169AA-DC81-463C-B380-D3D51604B4AB.jpeg
    193.8 KB · Views: 185
:beerjug: Cheers Steptoe . What would you recomend as a replacement please.

Cheers

:beerjug: Cheers Steptoe . What would you recomend as a replacement please.

Cheers

You’d best hope your alternator isn’t the problem. Because the only option is a BMW part, new or used. Good used ones are very difficult to find and good ones cost £300+ , and new are really unbelievably expensive, and when I say expensive I mean expensive ..

Take a DC reading from the terminal on top of the alternator. Your problem is common on older bikes with corroded terminals and earth points.

You should also remove your alt belt and check that the alternator runs smooth and easy on it's bearings.

The code you're getting does sounds more like a regulator problem though.

Cheers Steptoe and MotoRevive thanks for all the info and suggestions.

Ok so an update on the alternator. I took it off the bike and sent it out to a crowd here for reconditioning as the case wasn't cracked. I got the alternator back 24 hrs later, apparently the rotor was banjoed . They over hauled the alternator for 125 euros and it's back in the bike with no lights or faults showing up in relation to this .

I do however have a new fault showing up,coincidence or what, or the BMW gods messing with my head.

I,m gonna post this fault in a new thread so please feel free to offer advice suggestions please.

I,ve said it before and I'll say it again the subscription fee for the forum is worth it's weight in gold for the all the help and advice.

Thanks again to everyone for their help

Absolutely here you go . I would imagine it would be cheaper to get it done that side of the pond what with vat import duty etc.

D&R Auto Electric.
Unit 3, Naas, Co. Kildare.
00353 45 897 791

Back
Top Bottom