Bent front frame, 09' 1200GS

ktompkins

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I posted this in the 1200 Hexhead area but thought I would post here as the bike is in the Kinsale area. I had a head-on slow speed accident with a car and my front frame appears to be bent. Does anybody have a suggestion about straightening the frame or where I can get it done? The vin number is stamped in the frame so I can't buy a used part. If the frame cannot be straightened I may have to consider selling the bike as is which would be a shame. The bike is an 09' BMW 1200GS with 38,000 kms.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly

Without actually seeing what it looks like I think the frame would be the last part to bend. The forks, telelever and wheel would probably be sacrificed first?
What makes you think the frame is bent. Is there a witness mark like a crease or paint split on the frame?
Bf

not a 1200 , but ...i piled my 1150 into a u-turning car at 30mph .

i bent the forks at 4 inches from the top at max compression , i bent the ball joint backwards in the front wishbone, so that steering was greatly affected . wheel was untouched !

2nd hand wishbone and new ball joint .

straighten forks, new seals , came 6 months later , cos the bend wasn't noticeable straight away.

Without actually seeing what it looks like I think the frame would be the last part to bend. The forks, telelever and wheel would probably be sacrificed first?
What makes you think the frame is bent. Is there a witness mark like a crease or paint split on the frame?
Bf

I contacted Motoliner.com today. They said I just have to send them the frame and depending on the damage they can straighten it. My mechanic will call them and perhaps send them some pictures. Motoliner mentioned it could be an issue sending the parts across the boarder to England but I would assume it would be some duty?

Seems like you are jumopi9ng in with frame being damaged.

I would agree with the above post that frame would be the last thing to bend as forks and telelever would act as sacrificial parts first. If the damage to the forks and telelever etc. is extensive then frame could be affected.

Get some pics on here and allow the very learned of the parish to give you their thoughts.:beerjug:

not a 1200 , but ...i piled my 1150 into a u-turning car at 30mph .

i bent the forks at 4 inches from the top at max compression , i bent the ball joint backwards in the front wishbone, so that steering was greatly affected . wheel was untouched !

2nd hand wishbone and new ball joint .

straighten forks, new seals , came 6 months later , cos the bend wasn't noticeable straight away.

Seems like you are jumopi9ng in with frame being damaged.

I would agree with the above post that frame would be the last thing to bend as forks and telelever would act as sacrificial parts first. If the damage to the forks and telelever etc. is extensive then frame could be affected.

Get some pics on here and allow the very learned of the parish to give you their thoughts.:beerjug:
I agree with you that I should post a picture. Once my mechanic pulls the bike apart a bit he will take a picture. I will gladly post it for viewing.
I would take a picture myself and post it but I am in Newfoundland, Canada. I really hope you are correct and it isn’t the frame.🤞🏻
I will need some parts like forks, front rim etc. if it’s going to get back on the road.
Thanks for all the input!

Pictures of 09' 1200GS bent front frame

Here are pictures of the bent front frame as per my earlier discussion. My mechanic has removed the parts from the bike and shown them to www.motoliner.com. I will have these shipped to England for straightening.

Attachments

• Frame 1.jpg
    Frame 1.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Frame 2.jpg
    Frame 2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 161
I have done it a few times,is quite easy.I made a simple jig and i am using hydraulic press.When the frame is really bad its better to buy second hand frame,and swap vin plates,if you have mig welder its easy job.Your frame doesnt look bad.

Update: My rim had a dent and the company said they could straighten it as well. Both my rim and frame arrived back from England and look great! My mechanic will assemble everything over the next couple of weeks and all should be good!

Attachments

• Frame 1.JPG
    Frame 1.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Frame 2.jpg
    Frame 2.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 62

Back
Top Bottom