Two in one day..

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
That’s two 1200 models arrived today both with seized alternators. Now becoming a very very common problem on the 1200 models. Don’t ask the price of a new one unless you’re sitting down :D

That’s two 1200 models arrived today both with seized alternators. Now becoming a very very common problem on the 1200 models. Don’t ask the price of a new one unless you’re sitting down :D

Seized or worn out windings? Are they 2014/2015. Had to replace the alternator on a 2014 RT a couple of years ago. I understood they sorted the alt problem late 2015

Seized or worn out windings? Are they 2014/2015. Had to replace the alternator on a 2014 RT a couple of years ago. I understood they sorted the alt problem late 2015

Cracked cases, seized solid. One a 2005, the other a 2008.

You just put me off the 1200S 2006 model I was looking. High mileage bikes? So how much?

isnt the root cause washing hot and storing cold?

An alternator is small change compared to a rear suspension unit ;)

You’re in for a shock …. That’s a Double kaboom tish- think about it :D

Just get the rear suspension unit rebuilt. about £200.

Altenator, around £700 ish plus fitting for a new one, if you can't do it yourself.

Couple of hundred quid if you can find one on ebay from a hot dry climate.

Bosch or Denso? My Denso unit failed a couple of years ago, from what I read then, the Bosch units were OK, Denso ones self destructing

I believe the nosch units were on the GS and the Denso units were on the GSA. The denso units had a higher output but were inferior quality.

I understand there is
a denso to bosch conversion that can be done but does require some skills with a soldering iron

Bosch or Denso? My Denso unit failed a couple of years ago, from what I read then, the Bosch units were OK, Denso ones self destructing

Denso and Bosch both corrode, the cases crack and distort and the alternators seize… the two bikes currently (kaboom tish) in, i sourced one used replacement from the UK (which arrived 20 minutes ago) and the other one is coming from the States.

Denso and Bosch both corrode, the cases crack and distort and the alternators seize… the two bikes currently (kaboom tish) in, i sourced one used replacement from the UK (which arrived 20 minutes ago) and the other one is coming from the States.

You would have thought some enterprising person would have found an equivalent, or similar size case to do a donor or Frankenstein ??

Here’s the used replacement Bosch which arrived earlier today.

Attachments

• DBBF34E0-ABAF-410A-ABCB-786760738BCB.jpg
    DBBF34E0-ABAF-410A-ABCB-786760738BCB.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 305

Back
Top Bottom