Inverter generators...

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Good morning all,

I've recently acquired a motorhome, and while it has electrical hook up, the split charge has issues and it doesn't have solar, so i'm looking at quiet inverter generators for the odd occasion when the leisure batteries have run out of puff, and SWMBO is complaining that the heater isn't running.

Prices seem to range from reasonable to eye watering (honda!). I know the honda has an excellent reputation, and if it was getting used day in day out then i could justify the cost, however, intended use would be occasional, and possibly when we have the odd power cut at home.

In terms of capacity i'd probably be looking for something around 2.5kw - 3.0kw. Any recommendations- preferably something that won't wake the dead at 10 paces...?

Nathan

You have answered the question. Honda. I have garden equipment that runs on batteries. 2.5 to 10 amp. There is a yolk that can take 4 of those 10 amp batteries and acts like a generator. I don’t know if it will supply 3 kw and for how long. As with electric cars it’s going to run out of juice at some stage unless you can keep it charged. I’d imagine gas would be more practical for heating. Or diesel. JJH

Options:

You could always start the vehicle engine (assuming that the leisure battery is charged from the engine)

Fit a second leisure battery and have isolators on each (plus voltage sensing relays for recharge). When the first is flat, isolate and turn on the second.

Unless you need to boil an electric kettle, a small generator (eg 1kW) would do you for most things except heating (gas heating?). If you plan to run a mains TV, make sure that your generator of choice is an 'inverter' model.

Nathan,
As you have split charge issues, I sugest you look at getting this fixed first, as then you can charge the leisure battery/batteries up off the vehicle engine.
Then when this is sorted look at how much space you have for leisure batteries (a pic will help) to see if you can up the off grid capacity.
You can get folding solar panels, which with a controller could easily plug directly into the leisure battery bank

HTH
Neil

PS
Speak to @Sparkplug

You need to check the Honda specifications as they say 2000w but that can only be held for a short time period so make sure you get a generator that can handle the wattage you will use.

Also running a heater will make the generator run at mostly full whack and will become very nosiey. Many campsites do not allow them to run at certain hours.

You should just get a refillable gas bottle like gas-iyt/gasflow etc as much better than a generator for heating

If your wife isn’t desperate for hairdryer/tongs, coffee maker etc for not much more than the price of a Honda generator you can get a solar kit and second battery for the van and not have to worry, unless you are in a field on your own generators are frowned upon on most on or off grid sites. He split charge is worth fixing and a refillable gas bottle(Safefill) or a fixed system like gaslow/Gasit will pay for itself in the long run, especially if you cross the channel.

Al.

Thanks for the feed back gents!

I plan to get the split charge system fixed, but we are off for 2 weeks at the beginning of February, and i've already got a stack of stuff to get done before i go, so doubt the split charge will get fixed before then. The MH does have LPG gas heating already, however this requires some electrical power to run the fan and controller.

I don't envisage needing the generator on a camp site- we plan to find pitches with EHU, (and this does charge the leisure batteries). Generator use would be predominantly for those occasions when things don't go to plan and we run out of sparks away from civilisation.

The MH has plenty of scope for increasing batttery storage. it currently has 3 large batteries fitted, but i think with some careful fabrication this could be extended to 8 batteries in the same locker. Current thoughts are that these might not be performing as required, i plan to check these over.

I'll have a closer look at the Honda units..

They are expensive but definitely worth the money. I have a Honda EU22i permanently sat on the rear shelf in the garage of my motorhome for those “ emergencies “. I even have a 440ah battery bank being charged by 2 separate solar set ups. When you do get a generator make up a dedicated short electric lead to go to your van.

https://www.geargb.co.uk/product/5000-HOND1-2072/Honda_EU22i_2.2kw_Silent_Petrol_Generator

I will say that when there’s no load on ANY generator they’re generally pretty quiet. Put one under a decent load and they get noisy.

I will also say if you did go to 8 batteries you’ll really struggle to charge them. They won’t charge up as you think they would. If you get solar panels you’d need a huge solar array or leave it plugged into the mains for days to get them anywhere near fully charged. You’ll drain them quickly by using a hairdryer etc…
As a priority get the split charging sorted so they will get some charge whilst you’re driving

I don’t know how big the motorhome is but 8 batteries will seriously impact on your payload.

Al.

I purchased a Hyundai suitcase type inverter generator and I’m very pleased with it. Pick the spec you need and away you go, they’re quiet, efficient, easy to start and very frugal when it comes to sipping unleaded.

They’re also significantly cheaper than a similar spec Honda but you may feel you miss out on the bragging rights that come with the Honda. For occasional use I’d sooner keep my money in the bank :beerjug:

Andy's Hyundai generator is all but identical to my Honda one. As he says, it does just fine.

Have you thought about a solar set up like this, not initially cheap, but no noise and no cost after buying (assuming that the sun shines enough):

https://uk.jackery.com/products/jackery-explorer-1000-2-x-solarsaga-100w-solar-generator

Hi John,

I had thought briefly about solar, but after having a 6kw system on the house for 9 months it doesn't appeal. Don't get me wrong, its great when the sun is out, and during the summer months the battery unit is charged by 8.00am, trouble is i foresee my power problems occurring in the colder and darker months of the year. The MH is also 20 years old, so i'm not to keen on the ideal of drilling holes in the roof to attached panels and run cables, with all the associated fun and games that goes with making them water tight.

I purchased a Hyundai suitcase type inverter generator and I’m very pleased with it. Pick the spec you need and away you go, they’re quiet, efficient, easy to start and very frugal when it comes to sipping unleaded.

They’re also significantly cheaper than a similar spec Honda but you may feel you miss out on the bragging rights that come with the Honda. For occasional use I’d sooner keep my money in the bank :beerjug:

Thanks for the tip- i'll have a look :beerjug:

I bought a Honda gennie thinking I'd use it in my motorhome. Only used it the first time out 'because it was there', it's been in the shed since.
Don't know what you expect to be running which would require 2.5 kw gennie?
Use your new motorhome a few times before spending money on a gennie to see if you really do need one rather than think you might use one..
I've 2 leasure batteries, 120 w solar, LED lighting throughout and use a kettle on the gas when away from EHU.Never ever had a problem even when 4 nights 'off grid' in a row.
Modern TV with 12v should use less than 20w, what else will be using large amounts of 230AC power?

Thanks for the tip- i'll have a look :beerjug:

It’s got fuck all to do with bragging rights! :blast Honda reliability is second to none and if you can afford to buy one then why wouldn’t you? I have old ultra reliable Honda engined lawnmowers that have never given me any problems and start first or second pull after years of no use so why change to an unknown ( to me ) brand. Yes, Hyundai ones are probably fine / just as good, but I’m happy buying Honda powered things. Each to their own innit!

So brief update: generator purchase has been put on hold for the time being. original leisure batteries have been binned (they weren't holding charge and were mixed manufacture and sizes, something that is a big no no in auto wiring circles), and replaced with new, slightly larger capacity AGM batteries.

Auto sparky popped around 10 days ago and spent the morning going over the truck. Turns out the charging cable out the back of the on power power control unit had become lose, so the batteries weren't receiving any charge. Issue now resolved, but auto sparky booked to come back in a couple of weeks to tidy wiring and fit new split charge system. Might even get him to fit solar while he is at it.

Currently been away for 7 nights now and currently parked up just south of Ripon. Site is small and entrance is bloody tight. Will probably need a lorry load of KY jelly just to get out again.

Back
Top Bottom