Keyless playing up

capers1962

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

My 2016 R1200 GS (LC) TE has keyless and over the past week or so, the bike does not seem to be picking up the key when it is nearby.
I usually put the key in the nav prep lock so it's very close to the ignition.
I have put 2 new batteries in the key, the bike is on a BMW battery tender so one could presume, fully charged.

So, several questions ...
  • Are keyless ignitions typically known to be temperamental?
  • Is there a sweet spot for the key (i.e., where is the antenna?)
  • Is there anything I can check / test?
  • Are they sevsitive to the cold?

Up until now, it has been faultless, so I am a little confised

Any (relevant) info gratefully received

TIA.

Could be the battery,

I used a small piece of cardboard between the battery and cover to make sure the battery was making good contact with the contacts

and moved it from my sleeve pocket to my jacket pocket

it worked to a fashion, i still got the odd key warning light on the dash ..

Now i'm not sure it is connected, but ive had nothing but electrical gremlins from that point.

its a 2016 lc all options ticked

I got the warming on the dash about the key fob battery low. I put two brand new batteries in, But still got the warning. Whilst at my dealership, I mentioned this. He said, "Oh wait a sec" then returned with a new battery BMW specify. And bugger me...... warning went and never came back. He said it was summit to do with the battery that has to be right. And not a bog standard battery.

I am pretty sure that the pick up is up under the rear mud guard / under the riders seat. So where you are placing the key is pretty far away, coupled with cold weather / key battery condition etc ....

Your not wearing a Keis heated waistcoat are you as the new triangular heat controller can interfere with the keyless signal resulting in a can’t find keys message on your tft.Even though yours is a pre tft perhaps it could still effect bike.
Hi,

My 2016 R1200 GS (LC) TE has keyless and over the past week or so, the bike does not seem to be picking up the key when it is nearby.
I usually put the key in the nav prep lock so it's very close to the ignition.
I have put 2 new batteries in the key, the bike is on a BMW battery tender so one could presume, fully charged.

So, several questions ...
  • Are keyless ignitions typically known to be temperamental?
  • Is there a sweet spot for the key (i.e., where is the antenna?)
  • Is there anything I can check / test?
  • Are they sevsitive to the cold?

Up until now, it has been faultless, so I am a little confised

Any (relevant) info gratefully received

TIA.

It needs to be a specific battery type and brand as I had this issue too.

Plus if I am wearing my keis vest I need to put in the right pocket.

Barry

I'm not convinced the battery brand makes much difference as long as the source is reliable. My OE battery was Panasonic CR2032 and I replaced it with a Panasonic CR2032 from an established Amazon seller. Strip of 4 used between 2016 and now. CR2023 are generic items but pay 99p for 5 and you might struggle.

Most fob problems, where the fob is not faulty or the battery low, are due to signal interference, RFI emissions. Keis controllers are mentioned above - we seem to be heading for wireless types which will have more RFI. Intercoms, phones, dashcams, alarms, trackers. If you have a bike with all of the toys then you will have one great mosh pit of RFI. Turn off the bling and the problem might resolve.

I'm with wessie on this. I use whatever battery I can find at the time; last was Duracell.

Never had an issue.

I wear a Keis heated jacket during winter and have never had any issues with the key not being recognised/sensed by the bike.

I use Duracell and never have problems.
the battery needs replacing probably every 8 month ish.

I use Duracell and never have problems.
the battery needs replacing probably every 8 month ish.

Changing your battery every eight months ? Right there is a problem:jes

Changing your battery every eight months ? Right there is a problem:jes

usually people leaving the fob near the bike e.g. in a pocket of a jacket hung up on the garage wall - the fob keeps pinging the bike and gets a response so stays awake

usually people leaving the fob near the bike e.g. in a pocket of a jacket hung up on the garage wall - the fob keeps pinging the bike and gets a response so stays awake

Usually ?
:D

I've had problems with Duracell batteries. First was with my motimoto tracker. Looking on their website they recommend you avoid duracell as their tracker can't monitor the battery level so your tracker battery just goes flat with no warning. Next up I had problems with my car remote. I changed all the batteries for Duracell ones after I got an alert on the dash to say the keyfob battery was low and the keyfobs stopped working shortly after (my wife had a spare and it wouldn't open the doors, no blip from the LED, nothing. I checked the voltage of each one and all were correct, but the fobs refused to work so bought some Panasonic ones instead (they were OE) and haven't had a problem since.

I've had problems with Duracell batteries. First was with my motimoto tracker. Looking on their website they recommend you avoid duracell as their tracker can't monitor the battery level so your tracker battery just goes flat with no warning. Next up I had problems with my car remote. I changed all the batteries for Duracell ones after I got an alert on the dash to say the keyfob battery was low and the keyfobs stopped working shortly after (my wife had a spare and it wouldn't open the doors, no blip from the LED, nothing. I checked the voltage of each one and all were correct, but the fobs refused to work so bought some Panasonic ones instead (they were OE) and haven't had a problem since.

Check if your jacket is hung up in the garage ?

Back
Top Bottom