Yet another Navigator VI relaunch

Wapping

Reaction score
Lifted from the US centric K1600 forum:

Garmin Chat Support:

We are working on a solution to ensure the quality of the BMW Motorrad Navigator VI. We are expecting a revised BMW Motorrad Navigator VI to be available in the second half of 2023. What I can do for you today is go ahead and exchange your Navigator VI for a replacement and add you to a list to be contacted once we have more information about the revised Navigator VI.
Also the replacements are on backorder till early/mid February.

wonder if they will do a mass recall to all those they sold this and last year. ''The Lake Life a Ride'' versions. Seems above message is almost admitting this version was a disaster.....

…. Add you to a list…. Might suggest that Garmin are preparing to swap over a whole batch or raft of devices, on behalf of those that have had problems.

That’s just a guess though, as is not what the news says. It simply says that they’ll be contacted by Garmin with more information about the revised version.

The whole thing is a mess. Some fellows have had no problems. Some (including myself) have had bad problems, with one Nav VI but not another. Some have demanded and received full refunds from BMW, me being one. Some have had free exchanges from BMW / Garmin, some of which work and some don’t. Some have paid for exchanges, which either work or don’t.

And some have five or six fail, but no more as have bought an XT

Following this as I have 2 nav v1 and both have been changed recently for the make life a ride version
I would hope that garming would log all those that have had replaced units and contact then with this information and supply the new units To them for free
It’s not a very good show when every 3/5 months you contact garmin with a ghost fault

I'd suggest that some will have been exchanged by Garmin, some by BMW and some by a potential whole host of sellers. This is not some safety recall, where the manufacturer is obliged by law to recall and / or replace something. It is pretty doubtful if Garmin hold a list of everyone who has ever had an exchange.

I guess that your best options are:

A). To contact Garmin or your seller and ask that you get put onto whatever list exists. Then trust that they do.

B). Sit tight to wait for news of the updated devices being released, which is mid-year.

To read that . . .

A) Individuals are still purchasing this pile of :censor:
B) BMW are still selling this pile of :censor:

Is quite simply Shocking.

Another update or not, Its a dinosaur. Obsolete. In both user interface and software. Bin it. Buy an XT. :thumb

I had a nightmare getting my refund from my dealership. And I have been a customer since 1999.

Better half and myself have two nav 6 units. One was replaced (eventually) at the end of nov 22 by Williams Manchester This made a total of eight exchanges in 2022, all with the freezing/ ghosting screen problem. Garmin express informed me on Sunday that both units required software updates and these were installed. Fired up bikes yesterday to find both nav 6’s immediately ( within seconds!) going from normal map to the floating/ frozen screen. The brand new November unit had never been used, “new” in a sealed box from Williams but wanted a software upgrade, which makes one wonder how long it had been in Garmin’s warehouse or lying in Williams. We’ve got a Garmin xt that works perfectly and an adapter to fit it in the BMW mount. Might be time to give up on BMW/garmin debacle and switch to xt or Waze/Google maps but a bit galling given how much Williams have had off us in car,bike and nav sales over the past thirty years. Lack of interest/concern seems to speak volumes.

I’d be taking myself to Williams to politely request a full refund on the product, irrespective of the number of times the unit(s) have been exchanged.

I took that route with BMW, Park Lane, just as soon as my Navigator 6 went wrong, even though the device came from Bahnstormer originally. I simply told them that, given all the well publicised problems over the Navigator 6 model, I had zero confidence that a replacement device would function any better.

Patience won out in the end.

Agreed thank you Wapping. I’m contemplating that very prospect right now. Problem at Williams is exasperated by the variations in service depending on who is on duty on said day. One of the girls on service (Levi) is first rate, even shipping unit out when none in stock, but normally it’s been an immediate and easy over the counter exchange. However when those higher up the Williams management tree are involved help is a tad less forthcoming. Every gs since the 80’s changed almost always annually and multiple examples of every series of cars for the entire family starting with a 728i in 1981 and still they couldn’t give a f - - -! Says it all I guess. Ta for your input.

Agreed thank you Wapping. I’m contemplating that very prospect right now. Problem at Williams is exasperated by the variations in service depending on who is on duty on said day. One of the girls on service (Levi) is first rate, even shipping unit out when none in stock, but normally it’s been an immediate and easy over the counter exchange. However when those higher up the Williams management tree are involved help is a tad less forthcoming. Every gs since the 80’s changed almost always annually and multiple examples of every series of cars for the entire family starting with a 728i in 1981 and still they couldn’t give a f - - -! Says it all I guess. Ta for your input.

You don't have a 1982-84 633CSi sitting in your garage, do you? The most amazing "I wish I had found the money" regret of my life...

Sadly we sold an M1, an M635 and an 8 series before they climbed in value. We do still have all the M5’s including a current competition but my sister’s husband has a head in the clouds idea what the V10 is worth. Can’t get it through his dumb head that they’re only worth what someone wants to pay! On a more cheerful note Williams swapped Nov22 nav for new one without question but the July22 has to go back to bmw for goodwill decision as the original (8 replacements ago!) was purchased over two years ago and apparently bmw warranty doesn’t start from replacement date but from purchase date and replacement only has 90 day warranty. Crock of s- - t Germans and here’s me thinking we won the war!

On a more cheerful note Williams swapped Nov22 nav for new one without question but the July22 has to go back to bmw for goodwill decision as the original (8 replacements ago!) was purchased over two years ago and apparently bmw warranty doesn’t start from replacement date but from purchase date and replacement only has 90 day warranty.

And that's why it's a good idea, if you can, to pay 1p towards any warranty repairs etc, as then the 2 years clock gets reset.

Last edited:
Good plan thanks but these ain’t going to see use on bikes- we’re now xt owners.

I’ve had the ‘add you to a list’ for the revised Nav V1 but it’s not exactly clear what that this means. As said in another post I’m the owner of a one year old MLAR version that was a replacement, bought off a member on here last May, it’s been fine until this last weekend. I don’t know how old the original unit was that got replaced. Very good response from Garmin though and they’ve accepted that I’m not the original purchaser.

My Nav VI had the same issues and i reverted to using my phone.
invisible fingers would play with the Nav on the move and make it useless by locking the screen up.

then someone told me it only does it when the battery is low and its charging on the bike?
not that this should make any difference it should just work!

another thing i did, while cleaning the bike i used a toothbrush sizes wire brush on the cradle contacts and gave it a good scrub!
For over a year i have charged the GPS on a plug socket in the house before any long trips that i need it for.
and its worked every time?

For the money they are an average GPS and outdated.
if it wasn't for the wonder wheel interaction i would have replaced it with an XT
if another Sat Nav worked with the wonder wheel i would change.

Just got my replacement back today and noticed when connected to Express it’s now referred to as Navigator V1 - 1 rather than just Navigator V1.
It’s got the same serial number so assuming it’s the one I returned, which was also a replacement.
It knew my location on initial start, before acquiring satellites but wasn’t recognised by Express, saying a new device had been detected and it needed the maps/software updating.
Do I have faith in it? I’m not that daft.

Back
Top Bottom