New twist on an old question

T250Tut

Reaction score
Hi - after a bit of feedback / comments / observations -
What is acceptable oil consumption on a 2011 1200, 40k on the clock and with, not that it should mean much, a full dealer service history?

Did a trip to East Europe - after about 1800 miles it had dropped the oil level from top of the sight glass to about half way
Did another 1500 miles home - parked up for a week then did another 1000 miles round Scotland
Now oil level is at bottom of sight glass

Is that Good / Bad / acceptable / rebore / Scrap it
(delete as appropriate)

As usual TIA for the hive mind

What is acceptable oil consumption on a 2011 1200, 40k on the clock and with, not that it should mean much, a full dealer service history?

Did a trip to East Europe - after about 1800 miles it had dropped the oil level from top of the sight glass to about half way
Did another 1500 miles home - parked up for a week then did another 1000 miles round Scotland

(delete as appropriate)

They do use a bit. I used to put in about 800ml between services

Sounds a tad on the high side to me? I did about 2800 miles in one trip last Nov/Dec and I've had no need to top it up. It's currently just above midway and when I left it was about 4mm from the top of the sight glass. But as said above, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe it's still not run in yet. Sounds like you're gonna do that

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

2010 GSA 72000 miles. After service no need to top up for 3000ish miles - then a wee top up every 1000ish miles until next service

depends on each bike, how hot, and how hard you ride

once went from full to off the sight glass in 500miles - including +95 mph in 35c heat for 400 miles - never used a drop before or since (in 22k miles)

Sounds a tad on the high side to me? I did about 2800 miles in one trip last Nov/Dec and I've had no need to top it up. It's currently just above midway and when I left it was about 4mm from the top of the sight glass. But as said above, I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe it's still not run in yet. Sounds like you're gonna do that

Cheers all - thanks for the reassurance - i may have to carry a bit of oil while i run it in but as im booked on trips to Italy in April and Morocco in Sept i should have her run in shortly

Cheers all - thanks for the reassurance - i may have to carry a bit of oil while i run it in but as im booked on trips to Italy in April and Morocco in Sept i should have her run in shortly
Good comments above actually ref how you ride and outside temps. That last ride I mention was of course all pretty cold and I'm generally staying below 130kmh these days which seems to make it v v economical!

At the risk of starting one of those threads I use 20/50 which I suspect helps lower the consumption a little also. Don't know

(delete as appropriate)

If it were mine I'd add 200ml so it will theoretically be back at the minimum when due to be changed.

min is minimum quantity required so its unlikely to cause too much significant wear or damage

max is the best possible situation - lots of oil to take away heat (don't forget its air cooled, so this is much more critical than a water cooled bike) and a larger body of oil to absorb and hold the nasty bits that cause wear (pollutants, metal debris etc. that get held in suspension)

causing more wear for 1/2 litre of oil is never a saving

In a past life I had both an 1100 & 1200

I bought them each at around 2 years old. Both used oil. Easy to cure.
Just twist the tiger's tail and ride the shite out of it for a long trip.
Consumption stops.
Both bikes had been ridden too gently and had never bedded in.

Back
Top Bottom