Ignition Keys

Baza 07

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,i'm after a bit of advice,i have two ignition keys,one with chip one without,could anyone tell me where i can buy a chip,,"dont say the chippy please " and where could i get it programmed,and roughly whats the cost
Cheers Baza
PS,,,,The key with the chip has a black rubber top instead of a plastic one,does anyone know how to get the key out so i can see the chip inside for some techno info
PPS,,, I m on the Wirral ;) ;)

I went through the dealer. About £60, lots of intrusive questions and photos of bike, vin, documentation required.

Your local BMW dealership. It’s amazing what they sell for BMW branded bikes. A complete, coded key, rubber fobbed key, in a couple of days? It’s remarkable, even in the 21st century.

I guess they have them up the Wirral?

And yes, BMW give you hoops to jump through to get a chipped key. You can moan as much as you like but you’d be squealing like a pig if they lobbed them out like confetti or made the transponder chips easy to get hold of.

I went through the dealer. About £60, lots of intrusive questions and photos of bike, vin, documentation required.

Cheers Nin,i just wanted some info before i got intouch with the dealer,,,Cheers Baza

Your local BMW dealership. It’s amazing what they sell for BMW branded bikes. A complete, coded key, rubber fobbed key, in a couple of days? It’s remarkable, even in the 21st century.

I guess they have them up the Wirral?

And yes, BMW give you hoops to jump through to get a chipped key. You can moan as much as you like but you’d be squealing like a pig if they lobbed them out like confetti or made the transponder chips easy to get hold of.

Cheers Wapping,i guess its true what they say,Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit,,,,,,and a Moderator too

Hi folks,i'm after a bit of advice,i have two ignition keys,one with chip one without,could anyone tell me where i can buy a chip,,"dont say the chippy please " and where could i get it programmed,and roughly whats the cost
Cheers Baza
PS,,,,The key with the chip has a black rubber top instead of a plastic one,does anyone know how to get the key out so i can see the chip inside for some techno info
PPS,,, I m on the Wirral ;) ;)

You can’t get the chip out of the rubber topped key without destroying the rubber top, I had one and the rubber top was knackered so I ended up (carefully) cutting the key out and then the chip from the rubber top, I then purchased a new key with a plastic top that has a place to insert the chip.

You can’t get the chip out of the rubber topped key without destroying the rubber top, I had one and the rubber top was knackered so I ended up (carefully) cutting the key out and then the chip from the rubber top, I then purchased a new key with a plastic top that has a place to insert the chip.

Thanks very much Howard for your reply,so the chip with the rubber top fits straight into the one with the plastic top????
Thats the sort of answer i'd expected,so thanks again :okay

Inside the rubber top of the key is a plastic insert and inside that is the transponder chip, but to get it out you will have to destroy the rubber top, mine was knackered anyway. The transponder chip is very lightly glued in the plastic part but you can prise it out, I then purchased (have seen them on eBay) a key similair to the one below and got it cut, you can just about see where the metal part goes into the plastic that there is a sort of small wedge for the transponder to go into it, you just pull that out with the metal part and insert the transponder into the holder and push it all back in, it clicks securely in place :thumb

sAbQSAE.png

been playing with her ford to recreate a spare remote key... bought a blank for £5 but then took 3 weeks after discovering four places were not prepared to cut it.... eventually found one that would and he only charged 10 quid ... but when I get home I see he's done one side great the other's a mess - so really need to start again, and even with dealer tools, the ebay sourced genuine ford remote chip won't take the immobiliser programming....

then, still wanting a spare to do my GS' top box and panniers... whilst picking up a bit at local Motorrad BM dealership , I was asking is it 60 quid for a key? and two of them said "the stock key with chip is only about £40", I didn't believe them... but if true its not worth wasting your life on ebay and a fake....

Inside the rubber top of the key is a plastic insert and inside that is the transponder chip, but to get it out you will have to destroy the rubber top, mine was knackered anyway. The transponder chip is very lightly glued in the plastic part but you can prise it out, I then purchased (have seen them on eBay) a key similair to the one below and got it cut, you can just about see where the metal part goes into the plastic that there is a sort of small wedge for the transponder to go into it, you just pull that out with the metal part and insert the transponder into the holder and push it all back in, it clicks securely in place :thumb

sAbQSAE.png

Thanks again mate,i have a key all ready cut with a plastic top,i really only need the transponder,then i'd end up with two ignition keys,thanks for taking the time to reply mate :okay

been playing with her ford to recreate a spare remote key... bought a blank for £5 but then took 3 weeks after discovering four places were not prepared to cut it.... eventually found one that would and he only charged 10 quid ... but when I get home I see he's done one side great the other's a mess - so really need to start again, and even with dealer tools, the ebay sourced genuine ford remote chip won't take the immobiliser programming....

then, still wanting a spare to do my GS' top box and panniers... whilst picking up a bit at local Motorrad BM dealership , I was asking is it 60 quid for a key? and two of them said "the stock key with chip is only about £40", I didn't believe them... but if true its not worth wasting your life on ebay and a fake....

Hi botus thanks for your reply,as you can see from my last post,i'm looking for a transponder really,i was only going to butcher the rubber key to get some info from the chip,or that was the plan lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks again mate :okay

I have bought 2 keys for my last 2 bikes each time the dealer was awesome and really fast, my experience is based on both Uk and Slovenia where i now live

What you could try is contacting someone like Motoworks or some other breaker, to see if they have an old chipped key floating around, they could sell you. Or indeed, anyone on UKGSer who might have one sitting in a drawer. Then use that sacrificial key to ascertain the chip.

Back
Top Bottom