South America Advice Wanted

gbags

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All,

The time to go to South America is obviously in their summer, ie our winter but I can’t do that.
I have a few months in June, July, August, maybe September and I’d like to go back to South America.
Does anyone have experience of those months in Colombia, Brazil, French Guiana, Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina? So rainy seasons, weather, bikeable?

I’ll have to stay east of the Andes as they’ll be largely impassable I think.

Many thanks,

Graham

Great trip, lucky fella. I can’t help I’m afraid but would love to do same, my youngest will be in Lima from March till September and a similar trip to tie in with visiting him would be grand.

Hi Gooner,

I rode up Argentina to Canada, through Peru, four years back so if your kid wants to pick my brains, feel free. Happy to help.

I'm another one that can't help, sorry. However, I'm going next winter so will be interested in picking your brains when you get back if that's ok?

I'm another one that can't help, sorry. However, I'm going next winter so will be interested in picking your brains when you get back if that's ok?

Of course, that’s fine.
Our trip (me and wife on the back) was up the Andes, crossing as often as we could, right up to Colombia. We flew across to Panama and then up to Colorado, where a huge snow storm forced us east into the warmer southern states and finally north into Canada, looking for mountains all the way.
Every trip’s different but if I can help with anything, just ping me.

Doesn’t JohnRTW on here live in South America, might be worth asking.

Al.

Wife and I did Buenos Aires - Ushuaia - Alaska - New York in 2011/12 (my KTM 990 Adv). We crossed between Argentina and Chile quite a few times and have done most of the passes.

We went back to Patagonia in 2019 with my RD07 Africa Twin.

I don't know for sure but I would think the only pass which is open all year around is between Mendoza and Santiago, past the highest mountain in the Americas (Aconcagua) as the top is now a tunnel.

The desert region north of Mendoza is very scenic (Ruta 40) and remote but if you cross into Chile I found the west of the Andes to be the most scenic.

Once you get up into Ecuador and Columbia the weather won't be so cold.

I didn't like the Atacama desert (Pan American Highway) in Peru very much, as it's covered in plastic waste. The Atacama in Chile is spectacular.

One good thing - all medical treatment in Argentina is free - even for the English.

Good luck and do it. :thumb2

Wife and I did Buenos Aires - Ushuaia - Alaska - New York in 2011/12 (my KTM 990 Adv). We crossed between Argentina and Chile quite a few times and have done most of the passes.

We went back to Patagonia in 2019 with my RD07 Africa Twin.

I don't know for sure but I would think the only pass which is open all year around is between Mendoza and Santiago, past the highest mountain in the Americas (Aconcagua) as the top is now a tunnel.

The desert region north of Mendoza is very scenic (Ruta 40) and remote but if you cross into Chile I found the west of the Andes to be the most scenic.

Once you get up into Ecuador and Columbia the weather won't be so cold.

I didn't like the Atacama desert (Pan American Highway) in Peru very much, as it's covered in plastic waste. The Atacama in Chile is spectacular.

One good thing - all medical treatment in Argentina is free - even for the English.

Good luck and do it. :thumb2

Hi Wil,

We did a lot of the same stuff as you; all the southern passes up to the one that crosses back to Pucon and I agree that Chilean Patagonia is some of the finest land on the whole trip but I went there in October/November, which was perfect. This time it’ll be mid winter and far too cold.

I also loved the Atacama and hated coastal Peru. We just fled up into the mountains.

Hi gbags - I suppose you could start in Columbia and head south as it warms for those four months.

Are you taking your own bike ?

You've started that itch again. :D:D:D

:beerjug:

Sorry, I've been trying to work out when I was last there and it turned out to be Feb to July'ish but had to return to Chile for a funeral.

It was seven years ago and all my photo's are on HD in Chile so I'm going from memory, which is probably a little better than what I can recall from last week. I think my route was Santiago over to Buenos Aires, up to Paraguay, Brazil got called back from Rio then across with a stop off at the Pantanal, cross the road (literally) into Uruguay, not much to see there unless you head west. Back into Argentina with me finishing off with a snowy crossing into San Pedro, Chile. The weather was hot as it was a Feb start but still was pretty toasty all the way to Rio, with only a splash of rain between SP and Rio and that was about it, sun was out all the way back till hitting the Andes. That same year while I was in Rio the Mrs was in Paraguay in June, where they had a very unusual cold front come through, but she believes it was a one off.

Like the seasons are opposite, so is the rain, the rain up north tends to come down in the summer, so the Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia is best to ride on in winter, or do it in summer if you want the flooded mirror shots that look amazing. Even if it is a wet summer it will still be hot.

The pass between Santiago and Mendoza gets closed off quite often due to snow, which is a pain when you pull up at the bottom of the pass and they put the signs out and block the road. Thankfully the ADUANA (Customs) are pretty easy going to hand out visa extensions.

Hi gbags - I suppose you could start in Columbia and head south as it warms for those four months.

Are you taking your own bike ?

You've started that itch again. :D:D:D

:beerjug:

I will. I did the last trip on it and love it to bits.

Sorry, I've been trying to work out when I was last there and it turned out to be Feb to July'ish but had to return to Chile for a funeral.

It was seven years ago and all my photo's are on HD in Chile so I'm going from memory, which is probably a little better than what I can recall from last week. I think my route was Santiago over to Buenos Aires, up to Paraguay, Brazil got called back from Rio then across with a stop off at the Pantanal, cross the road (literally) into Uruguay, not much to see there unless you head west. Back into Argentina with me finishing off with a snowy crossing into San Pedro, Chile. The weather was hot as it was a Feb start but still was pretty toasty all the way to Rio, with only a splash of rain between SP and Rio and that was about it, sun was out all the way back till hitting the Andes. That same year while I was in Rio the Mrs was in Paraguay in June, where they had a very unusual cold front come through, but she believes it was a one off.

Like the seasons are opposite, so is the rain, the rain up north tends to come down in the summer, so the Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia is best to ride on in winter, or do it in summer if you want the flooded mirror shots that look amazing. Even if it is a wet summer it will still be hot.

The pass between Santiago and Mendoza gets closed off quite often due to snow, which is a pain when you pull up at the bottom of the pass and they put the signs out and block the road. Thankfully the ADUANA (Customs) are pretty easy going to hand out visa extensions.

Thanks John,

Interesting about the rains being arse about face. Luckily we’re not on the clock so we can always find somewhere nice and stop if it’s going to get really wet for a few days.

I got over all the lower passes, back and forth between Chile and Argentina, up to the pass back to Pucon in Chile and loved them. I tried the one above Mendoza, to Huaca I think but got turned back.

Are you still in Chile? We talked before I went last time.

No problem. Here in the UK at the moment, I should have been there now, in the sunshine but I've got a few things to sort out first. Hopefully I'll be out in a month or two, just in time for cooler months to kick in ( :( ) and then back here for the summer. Yes, I think I was out and about and might have missed you at Casa Matte. If you do head for Chile again, I'll be in the north as the Mrs works out of Antofagasta and San Pedro.

Ahhhh, now I have Brazil in my head, caipirinhas, samba and lovely ladies from 18 to 80 that will beast you dancing in the bars and on the street. Happy days. :)

I might be the wrong side of the Andes to get to Antofagasta in winter but we’ll see. I enjoyed a couple of days there last time, heading up to Africa and La Paz.

If weather permits I’ll try to get to Chilean Lakeland to and would definitely drop in on Casa Matte, catch up with Christian.

I’ll ping you when I’m on the road and say Hi.

Yes, please do if you make it across. If the timings right we may be down in Santiago as well. I love Pucon and Puerto Varas, lakes and volcanoes, perfect. Shame my other half is a desert lass.

Haven’t heard of Puerta Vargas; I’ll look it up.

I went to Bolivia in June.

Weather was dry all the time but got really cold on the Salt flats at night.
Should have taken note when the receptionist in the -‘hotel’ - was dressed up in overcoat and scarf and gloves thicker than my bike gloves.

I've ridden top to bottom of South America and visited multiple times.

Don't worry to much about time of year. The South of the continent is obviously frozen in thier winter (Our Summer). But you're not going there.

The months you suggest are the rainy season in many places. But also it could be dry depending which side of the coast you're on. It doesn't really matter. No matter when you go, you'll get a mix of everything. It's equtorial. It's hot all year.

You will definately need your rain gear. And be prepared to change routes depending on flooding, washed out roads etc.

Just go. And adapt your journey on the fly.

Back
Top Bottom