Lord and Lady Snooty's European Wanders in a MB SLK

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Day 1 January 26th

The drive down from the Midlands to Pompey was totally uneventful; the bummer was the rescheduling of the ferry departure from 22.45 to 02.00, as we sat in the queue at the ferry port waiting to embark the clock ticked past midnight to January 27th and my 68th birthday, happy birthday to me! We boarded and headed straight to the cabin to get some shuteye, the first problem was that I could only see one bunk - WTF! A quick visit to information only to be told that the top bunk folds up flush into the deckhead and you twist the little grey handle on the deckhead and down it comes - DOH! Seems obvious now but why not put a little note on wall. Off to bed to try and sleep, at 2.30am they are still making the safety announcements and sounding off the warning siren and the car deck is out of bounds blah, blah, blah! Fuck off we just want to sleep.

Well, neither of us had a great kip, and the ship's alarm went off at 8am (which was really 7am GMT) so we were lucky if we had 4 hours. Had a passable full English and a strong cup of coffee followed by a hugely satisfying dump and I was ready for the world.

Around 9.30 ish we were docked and as we were waiting for the exit ramps to open we saw this grand old lady next to ours - a 1962 DB4, the owner's dad bought it in the 70s when nobody wanted them, it's restored, in beautiful condition, original paint scheme, uprated brakes and suspension and the engine has been fettled. The owner said he just considers himself the guardian to pass it on to the next generation, which is a wonderful sentiment. I did a quick google on values and in the USA they can go for millions!

We eventually left the dockyard at 10.30am and were on the road heading for the Caen Peripherique in heavy rain, I made two navigational fuck ups on the Peripherique which added a few minutes and a couple of miles but after redressing my supreme muppetry we eventually exited and found ourselves on an Autoroute heading South. It was also the first test of the toll booth electronic tag and it works like a dream, head for the barrier marked with the t and 30 sign and boom up goes the barrier with no need to stop and through, every time I giggled like a schoolboy having my first post -pubescent fumble up a girl's blouse. :D Simple things eh!

I know Autoroutes are considered the Devil's work but when you need to cover some decent miles in one day I think they are so much better than our motorways. The lane discipline is great and the traffic is so much less dense - I pretty much stuck the Cruise Control on 80mph for the majority of the way and we ate up the miles and actually arrived at our first Airbnb at 16.15 which is much earlier than I expected given our late departure. I felt like I could have driven another 100 miles. Whilst on the Autoroute I pointed out to her ladyship the Radar Controlle signs and explained that the cameras in France are not bright yellow and to look out for the grey box, I spotted it and pointed it out to her and as I did the bastard thing flashed me! I looked at the satnav and hadn't realised the limit had just dropped from 130kph to 110kph - hence the camera - DOH! More muppetry! She thought it was hilarious and that I'd organised it as a demo. :D We also spent an hour or so listening to a teach yourself Italian CD, so I know how to say hello, goodbye, good evening, good night, how are you, excuse me, I am well, I don't understand and most importantly where is the bar. I just need to work on my inflection and arm waving for that full Italian authenticity. Alena's Russian accent while speaking Italian is a strange brew!

As we approached Clermont-Ferrand there was a lot of snow on the fields and on the higher ground and the temp dropped from about 8 to 2/3C.

Our first stopover is in Thiers and our host, Jacques couldn't wait to show me his 2CV collection, one from 1985, one from 1958 and the last one is 1961 and he also had hundreds of models of them in his garage, many in cabinets and lots of larger ones on shelves, I guess he has a bit of an obsession - here's a few pics and a pic of the house. We have a conjoined room to ourselves with private entrance, fridge, microwave, cooker, kettle etc and it was stocked with bread, milk, yoghurts, coffee and other goodies for our petit dejeuner the following morning.

Her Ladyship cooked us an early dinner as we had given lunch a miss and had nibbled on energy bars and fruit on the move so we were pretty hungry - as soon as dinner was had she crashed having not slept at all well last night. Meanwhile I am typing this.

Stats so far.

Aggregate mileage 552
Mileage today 398
Avg speed today 65mph
Fuel consumption 45mpg

At our first full up in Europe the cost per litre was €1.90 which given the current exchange rate is about £1.66

Tomorrow we head for Italy and a stopover in Alessandria - we have less mileage to do, about 340 and will be heading off earlier so I can probably take it at a slightly leisurely pace.

Ciao bella!:thumb:cool:

Attachments

• 20230127_093222.jpg
    20230127_093222.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 745
  • 20230127_093238.jpg
    20230127_093238.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 750
  • 20230127_164002.jpg
    20230127_164002.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 733
  • 20230127_164116.jpg
    20230127_164116.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 744
  • 20230127_164520.jpg
    20230127_164520.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 742
Glad the late ferry didn’t affect the start of the trip too much (lack of sleep excepted).
Aston Martin looks stunning!
So does your MB :)

Just pop a 2cv in your boot for me. I’ll collect it when you get back :D.
I love them.

Looks as though you're going to have a great trip.

I know exactly what you mean about the cabin and bunks. It was amusing mind to be sat there watching passengers coming up to a member of crew with their bits of paper and the crew member reaching up above them, you knew what the question was.

Day 2

Thiers to Alessandria

Sadly no pics of classic cars today :rolleyes

Up at 7.30 after a much better night's kip. Our hosts had provided a decent breakfast with muesli, bread, yoghurts, jam, orange juice etc. So after brekkie and the habitual satisfying ablution we were all packed up and ready to go at 9am after saying goodbye to Monsieur 2CV we were off with only about 340 miles to do to reach Alessandria east of Turin - should be a doddle I thought. The first five miles took us up this winding mountain road out of Thiers, the temp was below freezing but the roads were free of ice and obviously the French are well organised in this part of the world in keeping the roads passable. There was plenty of snow on the houses and by the sides of the road and a few tasty hairpin bends to keep it interesting. The sky was a bit leaden and cloudy with the odd break in the cloud letting a bit of sunshine through.

Progress was going ok until we got onto the A43 which then did a very passable imitation of the M25 at rush hour - 3 lanes all rammed and stop/start traffic. Sadly, this situation continued for close on two hours with no obvious reasons for the logjam. There was a plus as the scenery became more dramatic with snow covered mountains and there was one particularly large one which may have been Mont Blanc - we were heading for Grenoble but I am sure if I am wrong it will be pointed out to me. Eventually, we turned towards Turin and the traffic started to finally ease.

Maybe the heavy traffic was skiers heading for the resorts but to be frank the mountains did not look to have a huge amount of snow on them. Anyway, as I drove, Alena was snapping away like mad taking photos of the scenery to send to her mum back in Putinland as she has never seen mountains as where they live is flatter than a witches tit. The clouds started to clear and we had a quite glorious vista of snowy peaks on bright sunshine and a blue sky. We saw lots of signs warning us that the Cols were all closed. We took the Frejus Tunnel, which has a hefty €51 toll - ouch! :(:eek:

Now here's a bit of a conundrum that hopefully one of the collective can answer; we had driven through a few shorter tunnels and the satnav lost satellite connection yet the Frejus tunnel is 13km long and the GPS connection never dropped; go figure. Do they have some sort of GPS boosters in these tunnels to maintain connectivity?

We stopped for a comfort break and a sandwich close to 1pm, just about still on the French side, got talking to a young French lass who worked at the services and she has a boyfriend in Birmingham just north of Redditch, small world eh! I used this stop to message our Airbnb host, Cesare, to let him know we were running late due to the heavy traffic. We crossed the border in the tunnel and when we emerged there was a border post with nobody at home so we passed through unmolested, just like the old pre-Brexit days. The scenery was still spectacular and the temperature crept up to double figures; sadly we slowly but surely left the Alps behind, but at least we were now making good time.

We arrived at our digs just before 4pm, so even though we travelled about 60 miles less than yesterday the journey took longer due to the heavy traffic. I guess my eulogising about the French Autoroute network came back to bit me on the bum big style. :blast On a brighter note, the electronic toll tag worked in Italy also, I did order one that covered Italy but I wasn't too sure if it would until my doubts were proved unfounded.

Not many photos today lads, I spent most of it behind the wheel and sadly Cesare does not have a collection of classic Italian vehicles to dribble over, he does have a golden retriever dog though. ;)

Todays Stats

Aggregate mileage 888
Mileage today - 335
Average mpg - 51.3
Average speed - 54

As I always do I filled up just before we arrived at the digs and the diesel in Italy was slightly cheaper at €1.88.

The average speed obviously took a knock due to to slow moving traffic, the upside was the improved economy.

One final thing, this is the first time I have used Airbnb and so far I am impressed, today we have a rather large apartment with a large bedroom, fully fitted kitchen/lounge and a very large bathroom, all for about €60. We took advantage of the fact that we have a kitchen and walked to a nearby shop and for €18 bought enough food for dinner, breakfast and a few beers and the added bonus was the shop owner spoke some Inglesi so I didn't have to embarrass myself with my laughable grasp of Italian. :D

The photos are from the lunch stop, as you can see Her Ladyship is quite content having just gorged an Aumand Croissant and a milky coffee.

Hopefully we will make better progress tomorrow as we head for the East coast of Italy and then go south; tomorrows host has sent me details on how to let myself into the apartment in a coastal resort.

Attachments

• 20230128_131904.jpg
    20230128_131904.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 615
  • 20230128_131912.jpg
    20230128_131912.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 626
Day 3 - go East young man

After the usual scoff and ablutions we were on the road at 9.30 hoping for an easier journey without the traffic issues of yesterday. The day was bright, clear blue sky and sunny with the temperature just above freezing. Within a few minutes we were back on the A21 heading East; as it was early on a Sunday morning the Autostrada was clear and I set the cruise control to 75mph (an indicated 73 on the satnav) and relaxed. The speed limit was 81mph but we had plenty of time so it made sense to drive at a more economical speed. I had filled up yesterday just before we arrived at the digs, a habit which I do every day to avoid getting fleeced by motorway fuel prices. As we settled into the journey I used the onboard compu9ter to check the range and it was showing over 600 miles at the speed we were doing - pretty astonishing.:thumb2 At the set speed the engine is at 1800rpm in top gear (it is an auto with 8 speeds) and it is just sipping the go juice.

We continued East across the northern industrialised heartlands of Italy; the scenery was uninspiring and dull, flat and featureless with nothing of any merit to mention. We did encounter a little more traffic as the day wore on but with a few exceptions we maintained our cruise control set speed, at one point close to the end of the day our average speed was showing as 70mph - wow! This was a great indicator of how smooth our trip was today.

A few observations on Italian driving:

1. If you drive at the speed limit in 30mph zones they consider this a challenge to overtake you at the soonest opportunity.
2. Signals are obviously considered to worthless accoutrements never to be used, almost optional extras if you like.
3. When they overtake on the Autostrada they get to within a car length of your arse before pulling out, they have watched too many F1 races with drivers slip streaming.
4. Speed limits are considered a target and not a maximum and must be reached in the shortest space of time.

Road works - on a journey of 340 miles it is inevitable that we would hit some road maintenance. The Italians seem to only cone of the minimum length of road required to do the job and to minimise inconvenience. Unlike the UK where often miles of road is coned off only for work to be effected on a 100 metre extent if any work is actually happening at all.

We transitioned onto the A1 and as our direction went from East to South East and as we left the industrial belt behind the scenery became a bit more interesting, not spectacular, but better. After three hours we pulled into the services for a comfort break, coffee and a snack. The services were very pleasant, lots of outdoor benches surrounded by trees and shrubs. Even though it was only about 8C it was not at all unpleasant to drink and nibble outside, I tested my new found mastery of the Italian language and managed to order us two coffees but forget the milk - DOH! massive fail.:blast I give myself a B- and must try harder. WE put the teach yourself Italian CD back on for the second half of the journey, more revision needed.

We cracked on, still in lovely sunshine and by now we were following the eastern Adriatic coast line quite closely and every now and then we got a view of the ocean. We changed onto the A14 and with about 70 miles to go the sky clouded over and we had a few rain showers. We exited the autostrada with just 3 miles to go to our digs and arrived about 3pm.

We dumped out gear and decided to go for a walk and buy some provisions - we turned left out of the digs and within a couple of minutes we were at the beach. We are at a place called Porto D'Ascoli which is part of what is clearly a holiday resort called San Benedetto. Many of the hotels, bars and restaurants are obviously shut up for the winter, just waiting for the holiday season to arrive. We found the supermarket and then realised with a face palm moment that it is Sunday and as is the custom in a RC country everything is closed - in fact the garage that I filled up at was closed (should have been a big clue there) and I had to use the card facility at the pump. Ho hum, never mind. At this point Her Ladyship wanted to continue walking to look at shops that are closed - just why would you want to do that? It is obviously a woman's thing which is beyond me. I left her to it as literally just round the corner by the digs I had noticed a bar that was open so I told her to find me in there when she had finished her window shopping.

It is called the Blackstone Bar and this time I didn't fuck up my order of a large birra which also came with a dish of olives. I parked myself at a table in front of the TV which was showing Juventus playing Monza who were beating Juve 0-2. I had two old dudes at my table, one a Juve supporter and the other, you guessed it, a Monza supporter. After about 30 minutes her ladyship arrived with a small paper bag in her hand inside of which she had purchased six macaroons as a little gift for my cousin Sue for when we arrive at her place tomorrow. Now Alena is every shop owner's favourite tourist as she clearly has mug written on her forehead, the price for these six morsels that were no more than a mouthful each - 9 euros! An innocent abroad, she thought they were 1.50 euro for six not 1.50 each. :blast It happens every time we travel.

Luckily, despite our failure to stock up on vittles we had enough left over from yesterday to knock up a a meal of spuds, salad, ham, olives and bread.

Today's Stats

Aggregate mileage - 1229
Average mpg - 51.3
Average speed - 68 (would have been 70 but the last 3 miles off the motorway brought the figure down)

Here's a few photos - one of my beer and some of the apartment which has two bedrooms, bathroom and large kitchen/lounge all for the princely sum of €57

Attachments

• 20230129_123910.jpg
    20230129_123910.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 562
  • 20230129_162057.jpg
    20230129_162057.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 552
  • 20230129_172328.jpg
    20230129_172328.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 560
  • 20230129_173031.jpg
    20230129_173031.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 544
More pics

The apartment

Attachments

• 20230129_173044.jpg
    20230129_173044.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 554
  • 20230129_173114.jpg
    20230129_173114.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 552
  • 20230129_173129.jpg
    20230129_173129.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 551
  • 20230129_173141.jpg
    20230129_173141.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 550
Last year, whilst travelling north on the Autostrada from Bari I was in the Audi lane at the (satnav indicated) legal limit.
I was on motorcycle, and overtaking cars on my left hand. A car passed me on my right hand side. He could not wait till I had finished passing the cars on my left and pulled back into the left lane.

Lord Snooty said:
Now here's a bit of a conundrum that hopefully one of the collective can answer; we had driven through a few shorter tunnels and the satnav lost satellite connection yet the Frejus tunnel is 13km long and the GPS connection never dropped; go figure. Do they have some sort of GPS boosters in these tunnels to maintain connectivity?

Based on my experience of driving trucks all over Europe in the 90s most of the longer tunnels do have connectivity for radio etc.
The Gotthard tunnel in Switzerland for example at over 17km long had a radio signal the whole way through so that you could listen to music or traffic news.

Maybe the heavy traffic was skiers heading for the resorts but to be frank the mountains did not look to have a huge amount of snow on them.

Not much snow this winter, this was Mont Blanc in Jan on my way back after xmas:

mtblanc.png

Do they have some sort of GPS boosters in these tunnels to maintain connectivity?

GPS I don't think so, but as Aidan pointed out, longer tunnels have radio and sometimes phone/data signals in them.
Not sure what GPS you are using but it could be a mix of dead reckoning and data signals, maybe.

I'd say your description of Italian driving habits is spot on :D :D :D

Enjoy the trip!!!

Great read so far, nice to get away South during the worst part of a UK winter.....51mpg...wow, presume it is a diesel ?

Back
Top Bottom