Std to low

pitrat101

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Do you have to replace the forks to lower the bike? Or just drop them in yokes and replace rear shock and stands with low version?

I'm on the look for a new bike, just interested in how hard to convert as I'm vertically challenged !!

I have a low XR - forks are different on the factory bike but some have lowered a standard bike use "soupy's lowering link" and dropping the yoke.

What age bike you looking for? I have been considering selling my XR as I have another bike, R1200RS and no longer do enough riding to justify keeping both. The Xr is great, toured Spain on it last September, but I love the boxer & shaft drive more.

My bike is a 2016 gen 1 bike, white, about 24,000 miles and always serviced by a BMW dealer.

Not 100% sure if gunna stay with BMW, like the look of the XR but got to shift my Twin Cam 1st to free up funds, it's only done 120mile in a year, just can't take to it.

Not 100% sure if gunna stay with BMW, like the look of the XR but got to shift my Twin Cam 1st to free up funds, it's only done 120mile in a year, just can't take to it.

apart from the wide bars and upright position, the XR is a very different animal - I'm in no hurry, the XR is insured until June and MOT'd until September so I have plenty of time to decide before it costs me money to keep legal.

Go for a test ride when it warms up, but have in mind, the Gen1 is more fun than the toned down Gen2.

Won't be a Gen 2, I don't like the sweeping plastic look nor the tft screen.

Won't be a Gen 2, I don't like the sweeping plastic look nor the tft screen.

Hah! We are alike in that matter then. I like the clocks on the Gen1. The white dial rev counter is lovely on Gen1.

Does the S1000XR come as non ESA? J hate electronics on suspension, much prefer manual adustments.

Does the S1000XR come as non ESA? J hate electronics on suspension, much prefer manual adustments.

You can find non-ESA bikes but they are few and far between. IIRC, the non-ESA bikes have black forks.

Not sure if you are still going the XR route but if you are I have just fitted soupys links and pushed the forks up through the yoke on my (new to me) XR, I can now flat foot easily. Loving the the XR.

Back
Top Bottom