Anyone have a lathe or know anyone with a lathe?

K3FatBoy

Reaction score
I'd like to get some little widgets turned up by someone with a lathe - replacement brake caliper dowels.

The stock brake caliper dowels are a really tight fit in the fork lowers, and I crunch them every time I change my wheels.

(because I didn't think about this when putting GALFER 320's on my road wheels - the Galfers come with spacers to move the calipers out 5mm, which is fine. Take out the road wheels, pop out the Galfer caliper spacers, insert stock caliper spacers. But going the other way, getting the stock caliper spacers out is a 'mare)

So, anyone have a small lathe or know anyone with a small lathe who could turn up 4 dowels for me, in exchange for beer tokens, obvs?

Thanks

try paul at cranford eng. in Ashtead .

he's not cheap , you get what you pay for.

he's currently doing some stuff for Aston Martin.

or

mr summers at pcma in hersham

he does stuff for the oil industry.

Chances are the standard dowels you have only need a miniscule amount of material removed from the part that fits into to fork lower, can you not mount the part that fits through the caliper in a drill chuck mount the drill in a vice and remove material using emery paper.

Probably only take less than a minute per dowel and they will be easy to fit and remove

I'd like to get some little widgets turned up by someone with a lathe - replacement brake caliper dowels.

The stock brake caliper dowels are a really tight fit in the fork lowers, and I crunch them every time I change my wheels.

(because I didn't think about this when putting GALFER 320's on my road wheels - the Galfers come with spacers to move the calipers out 5mm, which is fine. Take out the road wheels, pop out the Galfer caliper spacers, insert stock caliper spacers. But going the other way, getting the stock caliper spacers out is a 'mare)

So, anyone have a small lathe or know anyone with a small lathe who could turn up 4 dowels for me, in exchange for beer tokens, obvs?

Thanks

Replying to my own query having found a fix, in case it arises for anyone else - the dowels are rolled-up pieces of strip. The 'join' is obvious. Running a junior hacksaw along the join line is easy - do that and debur, and the ring closes just a little bit. After that, the dowels are a tight sliding fit in the fork lower, removable and replaceable, all good.

Back
Top Bottom