Cleaning the rear shock

Karl P

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What's the technique for this?
Access is really difficult.
Do I need to purchase a special brush, if yes, a link would be great if possible.
Thanks in advance.

What's the technique for this?
Access is really difficult.
Do I need to purchase a special brush, if yes, a link would be great if possible.
Thanks in advance.

I use a wheel brush sometimes, but mostly just make sure I spray lots of cleaner, Sdoc or whatever all round the spring and down into the recesses; let it do is stuff and then wash off with a hose, then like the rest of the bike dry using a blow dryer. Never had an issue with 6 GSes using this method.

I use a microfibre mit with usual car shampoo after I've presoaked it with TFR and then washed that off with auto cleaning nozzle on my jetwash, which gives a nice wide soft spray pattern. The washmit is able to get into tricky areas so is ideal IMO for this

Good diluted car shampoo, with a paintbrush. Then dry. Then a squirt of ACF 365 and a wipe down

You need one of these to clean a GS. Gets into all the places sponges and square mits can't.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230128-180157.jpg
    Screenshot_20230128-180157.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 364
Best thing is use a gloved hand to get in around the coil. Prespray with some tfr, agitate with your gloved hand and then rinse of. Job done.

I think one thing many people fail to do is to just leave the soap on for longer to allow it to break down the muck which makes it extremely easy to spray off. Also spraying on GT85 or ACF50 etc will help after cleaning when you come to cleaning later.

I have been commuting to work during Jan and clearly the bike gets covered in bloody road salt and each weekend I give it a clean.

Thx for replies all. Makes perfect sense, I'll be off to Halfords for one of those gloves to use with Muckoff bike cleaner.

Karl...careful with Muc-off, had some bought years ago always watered it down by 50%, heard some horror stories about it used neat.

TD
:thumb2

I use this

Great for doing spoked wheels as well

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cleaning/sponges-brushes-and-buckets/halfords-barrel-wheel-brush-293822.html?cm_mmc=Google+PLA-_-Motoring%3EMotoring+Products%3ECar+Cleaning%3ESponges,+Brushes+and+Buckets-_-Motoring%3EMotoring+Products%3ECar+Cleaning%3ESponges,+Brushes+&+Buckets-_-293822&istCompanyId=b8708c57-7a02-4cf6-b2c0-dc36b54a327e&istFeedId=62b447cf-331e-4fec-a47a-9985ff72d404&istItemId=ipxwwaiqq&istBid=t&_$ja=tsid:|cid:17326102957|agid:|tid:|crid:|nw:x|rnd:1277612221921710182|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:1006538&gclid=CjwKCAiArNOeBhAHEiwAze_nKOjlfCw9hPZuB7d27Y2Y9FZHL7MLpqPVq-NwINREIgrWOgecmnJl3hoCuzcQAvD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom