Scooter info and tips request.

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a scooter, and I would be grateful for some tips and info.

Looking at the 350 Honda Forza and ADV. Also the BMW range C400. This would be my last bike as I'm getting on a bit. I have a budget of around 6K and no trade in.

I would like some real life feed back on service costs please. Other tips regarding model choice appreciated. As for dealers my nearest is the BMW AD, extensive history of buying too many bikes from them.

Honda is about another 8 miles further. I haven't ridden any scooter yet and I realise that I may not take to them. But the alternative is a sub 200kg motorbike. Something along the lines of a Honda CX500x or a BMWg650gs .

Thanks in anticipation Steve

Ask about servicing costs. I have a Burgman 400 and the servicing and parts costs are eye-watering, considerably more than my TC 1200 GSA and WR250R combined. I absolutely love it but as soon as I finish work it'll be sold.

Looking at the 350 Honda Forza and ADV. Also the BMW range C400. This would be my last bike as I'm getting on a bit. I have a budget of around 6K and no trade in.

I would like some real life feed back on service costs please. Other tips regarding model choice appreciated. As for dealers my nearest is the BMW AD, extensive history of buying too many bikes from them.

Honda is about another 8 miles further. I haven't ridden any scooter yet and I realise that I may not take to them. But the alternative is a sub 200kg motorbike. Something along the lines of a Honda CX500x or a BMWg650gs .

The BMW is expensive for what it is, especially if you get the TFT dash, there’s not much storage under the seat, you can only stash a helmet when the scooter is parked not when you’re moving

The ADV and Forza are the same but different, there’s a fair few posts on here about the technical differences if you have a search but in the end it’s also a question of taste, they’re both great little bikes

Mine has become my go to for daily use

Thanks for those quick replies. I also thought of the Honda NC models with the dct system but that’s pushing the weight a bit beyond my preferred limit. I assume the dct system is cheaper to service than the belt system used on scooters.

The service charges are often forgotten in the whole cost package but it can make a decent dint in your wallet.

Steve

DCT just has an extra little oil filter so not expensive

The belt is scheduled to be changed every 24000 km, not sure how much it costs but looks easy enough to do yourself if so inclined

I tested rode the three bikes on your list. The bMW was "ok" but basically its a Symco with a Bmw badge on and was the most expensive .

The two Hondas are both good. I opted for the ADV. it rode more like a bike than a scooter, wider bars different leg height, twin shocks on the rear. the Forza is prob best to commute with, that was more of a scooter than a bike. I do know there was a huge waiting list for both Hondas, just in October, so not sure how that is doing now at the dealers. I suppose at the end of the day its down to what you are doing with it. On the ADV, I could tour into Europe I bet.

Morning Steve.
How do you get on with the 2 dealers ?
You never know when you may need them to sort something out at short notice. This may be important if it’s your only bike.
I have also been looking at a medium scooter and have found that there is a useful Facebook group for the adv and forza uk owners. This also has bikes for sale, so it may be of interest to you.
I also looked at the BMW but as it’s just a rebadged Kymco I think it’s to expensive.
HOWEVER !!!!! I’m also looking at the Kymco scooters. A little bit cheaper than Japanese bikes and look quite good. I’m taking a demo out in March..

I gave up my Honda SH300 when I stopped commuting.

You need to test ride any scooter over a typical country road that you might take in order to assess its ride quality. The engine in unit with the swing arm means that the unsprung weight is quite high, which can have a detrimental effect on the ride.

You should carefully consider (and test ride) a lowish-mileage Yamaha T-Max. It would be top of my list if I ever gave up my bike.

Thanks for that feed back.

Not a scooter but have you considered a Ktm Duke 390. I bought mine last May, its a hoot to ride. 145kgs wet 46 bhp and a very torquey engine. Non of the storage of a scoot , but 60 kgs lighter than you suggested weight so a doddle to move around the garage

I tried the Forza and ADV 350 and 750 before I ended up buying the C400 (ex BMW UK). In my head and riding them there is a big difference. I found the Forza and ADV and extremely hard ride and seemed to find every crack or split in the road. I found it really uncomfortable and wasn’t a fan of the auto box

Love the C400, plenty quick enough, comfortable on the motorway and great fun. Again for me BMW just do it right.
Fair comment about the lack of storage but I bought a topbox and that’s perfect.

I would say it’s more commuter fun than my GS. Nothing has beaten me from the lights yet :D. One thing I have noticed is being more of a target on a powerful scooter, car drivers anticipate a new rider and slow speeds….

Thanks for that input. I'm presently going through that link that was supplied 11 pages of info. Hopefully will get around to some test rides next week. Our second car has been sold and at a better than anticipated price. So I have the option to increase my budget.

I don't think an Italian scoot is in your sights at the moment, but you seem pretty focused on servicing costs.

I serviced a lady friend's Vespa last year and the parts were hilariously cheap. Seriously, the parts needed (not just service items) were all surprisingly inexpensive. Might be worth looking at their larger models?

Got my first test ride sorted for Monday. It's a BMW. Have contacted the local Honda and Yamaha dealers. No chance of test rides :mad: both say the same. Shortage of scooters.

The Honda dealer has 1 Forza and the Yamaha dealer 2 of the 300 range.

Honda dealer is looking at April/May for the ADV350.

Being rather selfish I would like it sooner rather than later. My cancer won't be going on hold for a few months while I wait for a delivery.

Steve

enjoy the test ride.

Got my first test ride sorted for Monday. It's a BMW. Have contacted the local Honda and Yamaha dealers. No chance of test rides :mad: both say the same. Shortage of scooters.

The Honda dealer has 1 Forza and the Yamaha dealer 2 of the 300 range.

Honda dealer is looking at April/May for the ADV350.

Being rather selfish I would like it sooner rather than later. My cancer won't be going on hold for a few months while I wait for a delivery.

Steve

Tell us how you feel about the weight of the C400. OK , too heavy?

If you fall for the C400, seriously consider buying an ex-BMW staff bike from Park Lane BMW. They are serviced meticulously - staff have to pay for bikes to be returned to showroom condition, so they really look after them.

last time i did a ( 6 years ago ) scooter tmax , 500 twin , it has 3 air filters , big service , and we changed the belt . bill was £600 , belt was £125 ish , took 2 of us to get it on , not a job for a home mechanic . bike was soon sold, as it cost more to run than his vfr800.

go buy a Vespa if you want cheapish running costs , and sell it after 1st big repair bill.( repair not service )

Back
Top Bottom