Front indicator replacement

russm

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi All, cleaning my 2015 TE today and the left hand front indicator just fell off!

Anyway cut to the quick are there any reliable sites where I can pick up a replacement, used is fine just needs to work and preferably genuine?

Cheers

Hi all, got the part from motor works next day. Fab. But it brings another question of course! How many and which of the plastic retaining torx screws do I need to remove in order to get to the plug fitting? I am sure someone knows a short cut so I don't need to strip all the front plastic off......

It is not the changing of the actual indicator that is difficult it is getting to the bloody connector especially on the GSA , still doable ( I did mine in a hotel car park in Austria).

That is why the older led need the protectors fitted

@russm

I have just replaced the front led indicators on my 2014 TE.

Basically all the body work has to come off in order to remove the beak. (That would be the last bit to come off).
The wire from the indicator joins the loom at the junction of the beak and the big side panel.

All very straight forward. The only pain I found was the radiator cover, as there is a plastic grommet clip at the bottom nearest the rear engine side. You have to push the centre pin out, watch where it goes!

Be warned, some of the attachment body screws are longer and have a larger shank. Watch out for the plastic washers.

So, when I started taking all the plastic off to sort out the indicator I couldn't get the filler cap out. It came out a fair bit but I couldn't work out how to get it past the catch release? I didn't want to force it. Any help? Thanks

russm

Very silly question. Did you remove the retaining bolt in the centre by the steering head? Sorry to ask that but it is almost hidden.

I had to lift the centre section up a bit and wiggle it side to side slowly in order to release it. It really was quite stiff.

You could try some WD40 or silicon lubricant around the filler cap and centre panel section. I would prefer silicon spray as I am not sure about WD40 on the plastic retaining seal around the filler cap.

There are a rubber retaining grommets (2?) on each side of the centre panel where it joins the big side panels. These are located between the filler cap and the seat. They pop out when you lift the seat end. Has to be done before you wiggle.!!!

It might be worth taking off the two lower panels that cover the air intakes and radiator surround. Then see if the beak can be removed. This might give you enough room to replace the indicator. Though I doubt it.

Is this why BMW charge so much for repairs, cos it takes a lifetime to remove 32bolts and 10 plastic covers to change an indicator? (It's not 32 bolts I know but it seems like it) I know it's not the correct way but why can't I cut the existing wire and solder/shrink wrap the replacement indicator assembly, then I don't need to remove anything? It also saves a little of my sanity , what's left, and I can more importantly get out on my bike sooner!

Back
Top Bottom