Knockhill Circuit

bristolsaint

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am considering a visit to Knockhill circuit for this year's British Superbikes and have a few of questions. I'm coming back to Scotland at about that time and it's a circuit I've not visited.

What's is it like for spectators?

Where is the best place to spectate from? Are there grandstands, or nicely banked grassy spectator areas?

Is it worth arriving early and do the best places get filled at sparrowfart?

Is it the normal shitey circuit food i.e. overpriced dogburgers?

Thanks, in advance.

In the middle is ok to watch from. And under the grandstand down by the hairpin cos it’ll be pissing down as usual. :D Loads of riders crash there too either splatting into the barriers, getting undercut by other riders or high siding coming onto the start / finish straight. The view from the pit lane when I was doing the timing board for one of our riders was crap! There’s another grandstand on the outside of the chicane that’s ok too. Normally plenty of low sides there. :thumb2
Take some good waterproofs and midge spray if you’re lucky and get some sunshine.
Overpriced food is normally down by the hairpin. It doesn’t normally get rammed but if you camp there don’t think you’ll get any sleep! :D

I can recommend a B&B about 20 mins away if you want. :thumb2

Edit….. forget the B&B, it’s now closed!

Attachments

• 2DA00326-705F-422C-8B5C-7207EBA56ABC.jpg
    2DA00326-705F-422C-8B5C-7207EBA56ABC.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 390
Ah, memories. I used to live in the village of Saline, just over the hill. Used to walk there from time to time.
There was a pub in Saline, but I believe it's closed. They had rooms, and it was often frequented from people going to Knockhill.
As Udders says, it's on a hill (as the name suggests) and can be cold, windy and wet! Have a look at a map and you'll see it's pretty remote. The milkbar at Powmill is nearby and that is often a meeting place for motorcyclists
I've done a few trackdays there a few years ago... Pic of me on the hairpin, back in 2005 IIRC...

Attachments

• K1200RS Knockhill4.jpg
    K1200RS Knockhill4.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 389
I’ve marshalled their a few times, the corners on the down hill drop coming off the start/finnish straight are entertaining and the approach to the last corner before the start/finnish is where a lot of outbraking overtakes are attempted with varying degrees of success!
If you are going for the whole weekend you can get all round he circuit except for the paddock bit, so you could wander round if it’s quieter on the Saturday and pick your spot.
We used a campsite at Dollar if it’s still there as it was quieter than the circuit if you intend to camp.
Al.

P.S. will pm you Thruxton BSB.

Last time I was coming past ( in the car) when a major bike event was kicking out I reckon every Camera Van , Speed trap and Traffic Officer in the Scottish Police Force was plotted up within 20 miles of the Circuit

Look for the sheep on the hill.

If they are down the bottom of the hill it’s raining.

If they are further up it’s going to rain.

I've done a few trackdays there a few years ago... Pic of me on the hairpin, back in 2005 IIRC...

Was that the John Clark Motorrad track day? Yours truly on that day, having been towed round by Iain Duffus before he put his head down and buggered off.

Attachments

• K1200S_2.jpg
    K1200S_2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 336
I’ve had a Knockhill season ticket for many years. Partly to go watch various events on their annual programme and partly to support our only track.

And have enjoyed a few track days, though I’m the slowest pensioner not a knee dragger.

There are no fancy grandstands, except the expensive hospitality at BTTC and BSB rounds.

The track is short and undulating so I like to wander round and watch the races from different angles. You’re very close to the action.

Some folk set up camp on the bankings early and spend the day in one spot.

Take your pick.

Catering prices were climbing through the roof last year so maybe take a picnic.

Don’t be in a hurry to exit at the big meetings.

Attachments

• E3B7DD17-DB7F-4462-8798-506163165F3C.jpg
    E3B7DD17-DB7F-4462-8798-506163165F3C.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 283
  • 68609EC3-02A1-440B-A041-BD8A1FDEF62C.jpg
    68609EC3-02A1-440B-A041-BD8A1FDEF62C.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 284
  • 4B45B60E-3B9C-45BE-A8DA-987EE9DE66B7.jpg
    4B45B60E-3B9C-45BE-A8DA-987EE9DE66B7.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 281
Gives a flavour of the crowd at the hairpin.
Dry weather is a bonus ;)

Attachments

• 327753544_738173050852823_2612974912056490430_n.jpg
    327753544_738173050852823_2612974912056490430_n.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 226
It’s always dry, sunny and warm at Knockhill isn’t it!!!

Jim

Are your meds kicking in, or wearing off?:D

Hope to be there myself this year.
Will bring a selection of clothing.:rob
Can but hope for a dry day.

Pmsl

My Scottish humour kicks in.

Ice been tgere when it’s shorts and t shirt, yes seriously, but more often than not it’s mega layers and waterproofs!

You’d think the owners would’ve planned its location better :beerjug:

Are your meds kicking in, or wearing off?:D

Hope to be there myself this year.
Will bring a selection of clothing.:rob
Can but hope for a dry day.

Take midge spray if it’s not raining or windy. :thumb2

Take midge spray if it’s not raining or windy. :thumb2

I took midge spray to Scotland last year and didn't get bitten once. When I got home I tested positive for Covid. Perhaps the midges knew. Timing issues mean I will miss Knockhill this year. Maybe next year.

I wish BSB organisers could get the series back to some of the smaller circuits such as Mallory Park, Croft and Mondello Park (where we saw Jonathan Rea's first BSB win, 16 years ago).

Back
Top Bottom