R100R classic fork springs

Wierpig

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Its a 1995 bike and the fork springs were ready for replacement.Ordered the YSS springs and removed the old ones.The new ones are 460mm free length and the ones that came out 400mm. Anyone have any exprience of these (showa) forks as I cant seem to ascertain the correct length.To my knowlege, they are the original springs.

Its a 1995 bike and the fork springs were ready for replacement.Ordered the YSS springs and removed the old ones.The new ones are 460mm free length and the ones that came out 400mm. Anyone have any exprience of these (showa) forks as I cant seem to ascertain the correct length.To my knowlege, they are the original springs.

Look at the parts fiche: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...995-2473-BMW-R_100_R_Mystik_94&diagId=31_0333

Original appears to have a spacer. Ask Motorworks the length of the original part: 31422312706

Good luck with your search.

The YSS springs require a smaller spacer but they provided no details or stated that it was required.Went for Wilbers springs, which, at 560mm, dont need any spacer.

The difference between the original ones that came out and the Wilbers ones is quite a lot but I have seen spacers that long before. It’s obviously not as simple as measuring the unloaded length as spring rate will vary between different manufacturers. I’d start long with my spacers and button it all up and then see what it feels like. ‘Seat of the pants suspension dyno testing’ if you like. Cutting down your spacers a bit at a time is a bit of a pain but worth it in the end. Setting rear end sag is a lot easier.

Back
Top Bottom