Cymarc engine guard very close fit!

Orbit

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Purchased a Cymarc Engine guard for my 2017 R1200GS LC and fitted as per the instructions. I did have a Chinese rip off fender extender very similar to machine art. This has had to be removed as it snags the guard.

Removing the fender extender leaving the standard mudguard leave a 3mm gap which psychology seems very small!!

Is this right?

Attachments

• PXL_20230202_173845609.jpg
    PXL_20230202_173845609.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 456
  • PXL_20230202_173947673.jpg
    PXL_20230202_173947673.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 455
I have a similar set up using a genuine avanti fender extender. I ground about 2 mm off the tube like spacers to allow the crud catcher closer to but not in contact with the engine and ground about 2mm off the bolt heads. Also dispensed with the washers under the bolt heads as shown in your picture. This results in sufficient clearance and no contact between the bolt heads and fender extender.
Alan R

Put a flanged button head on there bud.

Purchased a Cymarc Engine guard for my 2017 R1200GS LC and fitted as per the instructions. I did have a Chinese rip off fender extender very similar to machine art. This has had to be removed as it snags the guard.

Removing the fender extender leaving the standard mudguard leave a 3mm gap which psychology seems very small!!

Is this right?
I fitted the Machine Art fender extender and the Wunderlich Engine protector EXTREME as it covers more of the engine, it is made of very durable plastic similar to the Machine Art Fender/MudSling material. I don't have any clearance issues and very pleased with the appearance
and performance.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Might be an optical illusion but it looks like you have a bigger spacer on the far side.
Is the mudguard itself mounted correctly? Don’t remember mine kicking out that far at the bottom/rear.

What does this do ?

So why Have none of my bike never had any issues with that ? 90k Miles on my 1150. Was like the factory finish, and 4 X GSA's also like new, current 50K miles. All have had fender extenders.
All I can see adding this extra plate, is creating a void you cant get to that will build up with shite and help to corrode the paint finish ?

Took the bike out today for 120 miles of all types of road and all is well. It maybe close but nothing snags. The mudguard on the 1200gs LC sticks out slightly further than the new 1250 not by much but enough to make it very close

Is there space for a protector, for the protector ?

When it comes to lack of space, keep in mind that there is a bit of distance between the fender and the wheel.

As the fender is made of plastic, a gentle warm-up by a heatgun will make it possible to re-shape the fender slightly in order to increase the spacing between the fender and the engine.

So why Have none of my bike never had any issues with that ? 90k Miles on my 1150. Was like the factory finish, and 4 X GSA's also like new, current 50K miles. All have had fender extenders.
All I can see adding this extra plate, is creating a void you cant get to that will build up with shite and help to corrode the paint finish ?

the f-extender probably helps , as does staying away from grit and stones.

ps , i have spoken to some of your "friends" ,it would seem that you ride like a very scared girl......:aidan

pm me your number, and i'll send a picture of a well used front cover.

Back
Top Bottom