Which maps are likely to be more up to date?

paul08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am an MRA Gold member. I have noticed that recently most routes that I download from the web and install on my MRA Routes Page seem to be in Open Street Maps, whereas the default always used to be Here.

Which of the map options are likely to be more up to date?

And, given that the MRA advice always used to be to use Here maps, are there any issues with using OSM to create routes and then downloading a gpx file to a Garmin satnav?

Once MRA have sorted out the “Next” offering, I am likely to default to navigating using the MRA app on my phone and CarPlay when possible.

I guess Google maps.

Just check the route by displaying it on your GPS device, comparing it with the route you created in MyRoute. It’s best practice to do that, no matter what software or app was used to create the route originally.

PS We are often assured in this forum that maps do not need to be updated, as “Roads never change”.

Certainly for POI, Google is the most up to date. Businesses can update their own details e.g. if a hotel changes name, closes down or changes their seasonal opening etc.

I rely on Google maps & Streetview to find homes of clients. Google seems to have some street details before they are built e.g. the old RAF Quedgely base near Gloucester, which continues to be developed. They seem to have details from Royal Mail who presumably allocate new postcodes from planning data.

Back
Top Bottom