Long Distance Tour (GS1250 or an HD Road King)

Strangely, and maybe Toddy's right about advancing years, I used to take the highways and make miles every time, but now the Harley sounds really appealing.

That’s exactly why my GSA went last year, and the Street Bob got traded for my Ultra Limited. So many smiles when I ride now. :D

I loved riding down through France on my Electra Glide it was perfect….. trouble is - when I got to the Pyrenees I wanted my GSA………

Twizzle is almost correct!
I did Spain, Portugal, Spain again across to the Pyrenees to Lourdes. Then across and up through France to Cherbourg on a 96" E-Glide. Mostly single or dual carriageways and back country lanes the GPS sent me down. No problems with the steep inclines albeit some of the sharp bends were a handful.
Sticking to the speed limits and having 6 weeks to do it in helped.

None of the published bike tour flings doing over 2000miles in 2 weeks from hotel to hotel.

I see Indian mentioned a few times; I have an Indian CDH and a GSA; for me, I prefer to use the Indian for long distance solo touring particularly if i know the roads will be good, Ive had it 7 years and have had no issues with it at all, although it is very basic (no Ride Command etc) but has cruise control. It is all day comfortable. I also had the full dress tourer Roadmaster and again had no issues with it and it was a great solo or two up tourer, loss of my job though meant it had to go.

Ref the stupid mudguard thing, they are very practical and keep crap of the bike and rider so they are very functional; however they have stopped using the (valanced Fenders) as they call them on virtually all models now and went to a more conventional style which I think is a shame as it was a unique feature of the range.

The GSA is now reserved for two up touring as my wife prefers it to the Chief, that said I upgraded the Chief suspension last year with the adjustable air shock from a Roadmaster and she is yet to have a long run on it since but its a vast improvement. I ran the Indian alongside a street Bob for 18 months and for me the Indian was the better bike so the HD went.

I find the GSA uncomfortable, after about an hour i'm squirming in the saddle, my knees ache and my shoulders ache. Up and back risers helped the shoulders but no amount of changes (seats etc) on any GS I've owned has cured the arse ache or knee problems. I have none of these issues on the Indian, I can stretch out on it and its all day comfortable despite it having a stock seat.

If it were not for my wife I would not own a GSA, it is her favourite bike and for her the most comfortable and that's the only reason for having it, it is therefore the least used bike I have as two up riding is rare, I mostly ride solo. The GSA is a great performing and handling bike and the obvious choice if the roads are rough or I need to carry a load of luggage, but I just can't get comfortable on it over long distance.

It it were my choice I'd get rid of the GSA and the Chief and replace them with an Indian Pursuit (tourer based on the Challenger platform).

I take Atts point though ref the Puch Maxi; touring on a small bike resets the mind and dare I say is more fun and adventurous, there is no hurry to get anywhere so no need to rush (you can't anyway) you actually take in more of the environment you are traveling through. Of the bikes I have at the moment the most utilised are the small ones, Honda Monkey has done big trips with camping gear etc and is more comfortable than the GSA (and i'm 6' 2") you've just got to give yourself more time.

I see Indian mentioned a few times; I have an Indian CDH and a GSA; for me, I prefer to use the Indian for long distance solo touring particularly if i know the roads will be good, Ive had it 7 years and have had no issues with it at all, although it is very basic (no Ride Command etc) but has cruise control. It is all day comfortable. I also had the full dress tourer Roadmaster and again had no issues with it and it was a great solo or two up tourer, loss of my job though meant it had to go.

Ref the stupid mudguard thing, they are very practical and keep crap of the bike and rider so they are very functional; however they have stopped using the (valanced Fenders) as they call them on virtually all models now and went to a more conventional style which I think is a shame as it was a unique feature of the range.

The GSA is now reserved for two up touring as my wife prefers it to the Chief, that said I upgraded the Chief suspension last year with the adjustable air shock from a Roadmaster and she is yet to have a long run on it since but its a vast improvement. I ran the Indian alongside a street Bob for 18 months and for me the Indian was the better bike so the HD went.

I find the GSA uncomfortable, after about an hour i'm squirming in the saddle, my knees ache and my shoulders ache. Up and back risers helped the shoulders but no amount of changes (seats etc) on any GS I've owned has cured the arse ache or knee problems. I have none of these issues on the Indian, I can stretch out on it and its all day comfortable despite it having a stock seat.

If it were not for my wife I would not own a GSA, it is her favourite bike and for her the most comfortable and that's the only reason for having it, it is therefore the least used bike I have as two up riding is rare, I mostly ride solo. The GSA is a great performing and handling bike and the obvious choice if the roads are rough or I need to carry a load of luggage, but I just can't get comfortable on it over long distance.

It it were my choice I'd get rid of the GSA and the Chief and replace them with an Indian Pursuit (tourer based on the Challenger platform).

I take Atts point though ref the Puch Maxi; touring on a small bike resets the mind and dare I say is more fun and adventurous, there is no hurry to get anywhere so no need to rush (you can't anyway) you actually take in more of the environment you are traveling through. Of the bikes I have at the moment the most utilised are the small ones, Honda Monkey has done big trips with camping gear etc and is more comfortable than the GSA (and i'm 6' 2") you've just got to give yourself more time.

You need a new wife.

Planning a month-long long distance tour of "Outer Europe" ....

As people here seem to know their GSs and their HDs, which would be your preference and why ?

My R1250GS has been a great middle distance tourer but easy to break. The HD Road King seems to be tougher built bike allround and good for long distances day after day.

All views welcome.

:jes:jes:jes

Never had a GS fail, did one trip on my Roadking Special…….well we all know how that went :D

The HD is not better built, however, if you’ve never toured on a Harley, you have to do it.

Whilst my love affair was cut short, the HD was the most memorable of all my tours, just fit Avon Cobra Chromes and you can even enjoy the twisty bits, me and my brother had an absolute blast.

Attachments

• 27267DEE-F5DF-494C-8D8F-02F0CCFF4C8B.jpg
    27267DEE-F5DF-494C-8D8F-02F0CCFF4C8B.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 371910AE-4E60-453B-85A7-239499662E25.jpg
    371910AE-4E60-453B-85A7-239499662E25.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 1A7FDE04-31DF-46E2-BD08-A35A920DAB79.jpg
    1A7FDE04-31DF-46E2-BD08-A35A920DAB79.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 38

Back
Top Bottom