Download Google maps and translator to a phone

Bigcats

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You can download google maps areas for routes that have weak or no signal prior to leaving or stop at a Macdonald's type place as they have free wifi. They remain valid for 30 days before needing to be updated (still work after 30 days but considered out of date). Open google maps on your phone, click on your profile icon and then click on 'offline maps' and then 'Select your own map'. You then move the map around and zoom in/out to select the area to download.....you can do multiple areas.

Also you can download languages to google translate to help you during your travels. You don't have to worry about data costs then. As above open google translate, click on your profile icon and hit 'downloaded languages' and select the language you wish to download. Again you can have multiple languages. If you have data when abroad SOME languages allows you the ability to use the camera function within google translate that will translate in realtime text on a sign or on paper (so point it at a sign and it will translate to English for you). However this doesn't work with all languages and requires data!

Thank you for this.

The translate function is really useful when it comes to the German travel magazines I subscribe to.

Thank you for this.

The translate function is really useful when it comes to the German travel magazines I subscribe to.

Thank you for making it a sticky and I'm really glad I can contribute to the website.

Back
Top Bottom