Google My Maps

Wapping

Reaction score
Whilst it’s not strictly speaking a GPS topic, I am slowly learning how Google’s My Maps works.

For most of my life I have been a big fan of Garmin’s BaseCamp and MapSource products, only recently converting to MyRoute’s very good Cloud based app. Similarly, other than using it for the very basics, I had never really done much with Google.

Through starting to use MyRoute’s ability to share / embed GPX routes via the forum, it took me on to investigating what Google’s My Maps could do, too. For free software, it really is pretty powerful. I am slowly discovering how layers work, though they are limited in their use on my iPad.

Here’s a sample with two separate routes, put into My Map, one route on each layer:

ea9fb80fe5ceafd4b1bf527fab4cb1b0.png

You can turn each layer on and off, very easily, displaying either one route, the other or both at once.

ba6196e0eeb13dd3b70a5ff7ee406b02.jpg

373c28183e2c026253a0056fc9b46b6c.jpg

That it’s then possible to zoom the map in to pick up details of hotels or other points of interest, is handy too. I guess you can then add a point of interest into a third layer, too?

6ec01a55710ad125f56f59f47e6bc6f6.jpg

For sharing ideas and information with friends or with the forum, I think it’s a useful application to get the hang of.

Where it would also be good, would be to use it for creating a complete holiday, with one day’s route per layer. Something like this:

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1kSLCxQ-Q9IerApO0nc2lHMi78yVsrDI&ehbc=2E312F" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

Cheers for that. What is the app actually called?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230205_123136_Google Play Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20230205_123136_Google Play Store.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 86
Can you add any more ?
You usually flood the thread with information. Pictures and diagrams !
I have a Google account.
I use chrome, maps, drive, translate, Gmail, etc ect
Where are "my maps"?
TIA

I am currently freezing in my garage and trying to watch the rugby, whilst fiddling with my motorcycle.

Found it.
On Android -
View your My Maps using Google Maps
You can view your My Maps using Google Maps. To make and edit your own custom maps to share online, use My Maps.

Android ComputeriPhone & iPad
Find your My Map
If you've created a My Map, you can view it in the Google Maps app on your phone or tablet.

Sign in and open the Google Maps app Maps.
Tap Saved Save place. At the bottom, tap Maps.
Learn how to navigate to places on your custom maps.

Create and edit a My Map
To create and edit custom maps, open My Maps in your web browser.

Close or remove a custom map
To close or remove a custom map from appearing in Google Maps:

Tap a place, line or region from the My Map.
At the bottom, tap the My Maps icon My Maps.
Tap View Map Legend.
Tap Close Close.
If you have problems creating or editing your My Maps, visit the My Maps help centre.

I will now have a good play.

Thanks for your Help narrrrttttt. Owe you a nice coffee the day we meet up matey:thumb

Back
Top Bottom