Vacuum packing bags

Doc, I am away in my motorhome at the moment, which has given me a chance to look at the ‘vacuum’ packing bags I use. To call them ‘vacuum’ is misleading, as you don’t use a vacuum pump to take the air out.

The first thing is that these are the roll type, where you expel the air by rolling and then zipping the bag shut. The maker of the bags referred to them as ‘Compression’ which is more accurate.

The second thing, is not to overstuff the bag, which makes rolling difficult.

I use the bags to store sheets, towels, Duvalay covers, pillow cases, pillows and the like, simply to keep them from getting damp when the motorhome is not in use. That they can (if you want them to) squish down tightly is just a bonus, not least as I am not short of space. In a word, they have proved to be both flexible and excellent.

The bags are Eagle Creek, which are well made and strong. They come in various sizes, which is handy, too. Highly recommended.

How to use the Eagle Creek Compression Sac:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qi0VF9BQ8A4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would not recommend the compression sacs for clothing that will crease easily or for which the creases will not drop out without using an iron. For items that will crease badly, I would use the conventional Eagle Creek bags or similar. That is why the compression sacs are great for storing my washed / folded sheets, towels and pillows in my motorhome.

I cannot recommend the Eagle Creek regular bags too highly. This little video sums them up quite nicely:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-0G60ZoD9rs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not cheap but they really do last. I have had mine for years and used them regularly.

PS It looks like the Eagle Creek Compression Sacs are not currently available. Amazon are showing none but do show what might be decent alternatives.

Back
Top Bottom