Custom POI loader

Wapping

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there who might know how best to use a POI loader, please?

The question came into me via a PM but I don’t use a POI loader, so can’t help the fellow.

The question was:

I wonder can you help me with this question:

I am using POI loader to transfer waypoints which are in a gpx file into the Custom POI category in my Zumo XT. What I would like to do is to save these custom poi's into a subcategory in the Custom POI category and I cannot figure out how to do this.

I am trying out the POI loader as alternative to simply sending the file to the XT using Garmin Drive to see if the points are easier to find in Custom POI than in Favourites. If I could make a new folder under Favourites in the XT, I might use that to store POI's under different headings - but I can't find out how to do that either!

I have saved the gpx file on my pc in a subfolder of a folder as below:

C:\Users\laure\Google Drive\Maps and Routes\POI Folder\IPR2023\IPR2023a.gpx

I was hoping this would result in the POI's within the GPX file being saved in a new subcategory IPR2023 under the Custom POI category but instead the POI's appear in the Custom POI category without any sub category.

Can you tell me what to do in order to get the POI's from the GPX file into a subcategory in the Custom POI folder in the XT?

Thanks,

Many thanks for any help.

Richard

The name of the GPX file is key.
Make sure this is the name you want to see on the device - eg. Aldi_UK

Remember that POI Loader will process all gpx files within a folder - use unique folder names that fit with your POI sub category on the device.

Run POI Loader.
Select device.
Select install new POI
Select the folder where you gpx file lives
Choose the name for the newly created POI file:

This is the odd bit. That name is NOT displayed on the device, but, it will allow you to have more than one instance of
the POI file on the device under the same name as the GPX file. Still with me?

I give it the same name as the GPX file (Aldi_UK)

Send to device.
Look for your new POI file in the categories -Custom POIs

Just to add.

I remove POI categories from the device using the PC file manager POI-L is a bit all or nothing.

I use SCDB for speed cameras but I only load those countries I want.
So, I have a top level directory of SCDB and sub-directories of Germany, France, Holland etc.
When POI Loader processes the SCDB directory, it recurses into all the sub directories.
This generates a file called Safety.gpi

The files used to create the GPI file are CSV files.
When they are displayed on the XT in the Custom POI's, they take the names of the FOLDERS, so I end up with sub categories of Germany, France, Holland.
So it would seem CSV files are treated differently to GPX files

I just knew it would be tech.

:D

You got me thinking about it some more.

PoiLoader WILL recurse into any and all sub-folders that contains .gpx files so what I said before was tosh. I just tend to select a folder with no sub-folders so there is nothing else for POILoader to see.

If you want to build a repository for POI's, make a top level folder of any name you like, then propagate that with sub-folders that have the names you want displayed on the device.
Load your all gpx/bmp files into the appropriate sub-folders and then run POILoader.

After that run, if you want to add another category, make another sub-folder and select add new category in POILoader.

Back
Top Bottom