Ulez success!

GORILA

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Took my 98 R1100GS to SDC performance in Stevenage, Herts. The proprietor Gary, is an ex bike racer. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.
My bike failed the first run but not by much. Gary carried out a de-coke of the engine to bring it within spec and the bike passed the re test.
All in it cost me £325, which though painful was still cheaper than fitting a catalytic converter at Riverbank!

So I would recommend this place as an option for the ulez test.
For people who like me don't want to scrap their old bikes it is worth speaking to Gary. He said that he has several things he can try on bikes to get them through the test and that his aim is to do this as cheaply as possible.
His details are found under www.uleztesting.co.uk.

I have no connection other than a happy customer.

Is that a one time thing?

i.e. once you've registered your bike with TFL and demonstrated that it's ULEZ exempt then you never have to worry about it again - or is it like an MOT where you have to do an annual test to demonstrate that it's still compliant?

Indeed it is a one time test. They run the bike on a rolling road whilst collecting emission data from the exhaust. They simulate a 10 mile run I believe, which includes starting, run up to a variety of speeds, including town centre speeds and stopping. The NOX score is based on the average and is not just a case of sticking a probe in the exhaust.
This will allow you to drive in London, though I don't know if it will be possible to use this test pass in any other towns where emission zones are introduced! I was given nothing in writing. The pass results are recorded on the TFL database by the tester.

@Gorila

If I can share the benefit of my own experience (still ongoing with the less-than-helpful people at TFL)...

Now that you have the certificated 'pass', attach a copy of that to your V5C, then add a covering letter and send to DVLA, Swansea, requesting that they amend your V5C to include the NOx emissions readings....When navigating the TFL process at one point they revealed that this is the pathway by which local authorities cross-reference the licence plate with NOx conformity (e.g Birmingham, etc. now all in on the ULEZ revenue bandwagon).

I sent-off my documents yesterday after a 'phone call with DVLA confirmed that they will make such amendments and re-issue the V5C, with a target of 2 weeks turnaround.

Hope this helps.....

Hi Kitsilano, thank you for your suggestion. Can I ask what do you mean by certificated pass? I wasn't given anything by my tester. My bike is shown as compliant on the tfl website though.

Regards...

Hi Kitsilano, thank you for your suggestion. Can I ask what do you mean by certificated pass? I wasn't given anything by my tester. My bike is shown as compliant on the tfl website though.

Regards...

@ Gorila....Oh, I anticipated that the testing station would have given you some confirmation documentation, that's all...and then that is what you could send to DVLA. Although other ULEZ jurisdictions seem to have already accepted the make/model/year as being compliant (I did a check from a link that I found on the forum), it is TFL who are being dicks......although ironically, as I mentioned, buried in their reply was the suggestion to notify DVLA with the BMW Homologation letter that I had to pay £100 for.

In any event, I think that we will each be better off to have the NOx figures in the actual V5C documentation...

Good Luck!

although ironically, as I mentioned, buried in their reply was the suggestion to notify DVLA with the BMW Homologation letter that I had to pay £100 for.

BMW homologation certificates are now free, they stopped charging for them in 2019.

Thanks Kitsilano, I spoke to someone from the DVLA but I don't think he understood what I was saying to him! He kept telling me I would need to submit information from the manufacturer.
I tried to politely explain that the ulez test determined my vehicle was now ulez compliant, in the absence of information from the manufacturer, but it fell on deaf ears..
The mechanic who carried out the test can't provide any official documentation of the test. He suggested speaking to someone at tfl.
I will leave it now. I feel worn out!!!
At least I can keep driving in my home area.

BMW homologation certificates are now free, they stopped charging for them in 2019.

Steptoe...Yes, true for bikes U.K. registered from new......My bike was a personal import in October 2022......I can assure you that it most definitely costs £100 for the Homologation paperwork these 'born-and-first-registered-in-Germany' puppies....and even then, TFL pushes back because although the document includes the VIN number, TFL wants to see a licence place number on the document - FFS.

Thanks Kitsilano, I spoke to someone from the DVLA but I don't think he understood what I was saying to him! He kept telling me I would need to submit information from the manufacturer.
I tried to politely explain that the ulez test determined my vehicle was now ulez compliant, in the absence of information from the manufacturer, but it fell on deaf ears..
The mechanic who carried out the test can't provide any official documentation of the test. He suggested speaking to someone at tfl.
I will leave it now. I feel worn out!!!
At least I can keep driving in my home area.

@Gorila, I think that you know what you are doing - and I would suggest that you most definitely avoid TFL. As others have said, see what the BMW Homologation Dept. give you and work from there if necessary....at least for now, you are not going to pop-up on TFL's ULEZ radar. (Steptoe is right about the free documentation from BMW if the bike was first registered in the U.K. - mine wasn't.)

Steptoe...Yes, true for bikes U.K. registered from new......My bike was a personal import in October 2022......I can assure you that it most definitely costs £100 for the Homologation paperwork these 'born-and-first-registered-in-Germany' puppies....and even then, TFL pushes back because although the document includes the VIN number, TFL wants to see a licence place number on the document - FFS.

I understand now you’ve made it clear. it just gave the impression that the £100 cost was for everyone applying to bmw for proof of compliance to keep TFL happy :D

Interesting.

Mine was also a German import and I've only just started the process by asking for a Certificate of Conformity from BMW using the email address provided in another thread. Not had any testing done at this stage (might have to re-fit the CAT I suppose as it's got a Y-Piece at the moment)

Will be interesting to see how this all progresses as I don't ride in London often so might bin the whole idea if it's going to cost £100.

Interesting.

Mine was also a German import and I've only just started the process by asking for a Certificate of Conformity from BMW using the email address provided in another thread. Not had any testing done at this stage (might have to re-fit the CAT I suppose as it's got a Y-Piece at the moment)

Will be interesting to see how this all progresses as I don't ride in London often so might bin the whole idea if it's going to cost £100.

@Sparkplug.....It's not just London, I'm afraid.
Feel free to PM me and I can recount my own progress, rather than drag it out here and frustrate our fellow parishoners...

And here it is....The Holy Grail/Golden Fleece of TFL correspondence...But my quest was every bit as challenging as that of Jason & the Argonauts (and I had to be no less bloody-minded in my pushback supported by documentation).

Attachments

• ULEZ Confirmation.jpg
    ULEZ Confirmation.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 215

Not a process for the faint of heart, though! (As mentioned previously I am happy to share via PM, the structure of my correspondence to TFL if this is of help to any members so affected.)

Now, TFL are hooking-up power sources (for cameras) on the pavement for every point of access within the expanded ULEZ area....Black boxes with a 'TFL' logo on them. There's seemingly no stopping the maniacal obsession of His Worship, The Mayor of London regardless of challenges and public push-back.

Really pleased to see you got your result Kitsilano :thumb2

I think I failed at the first hurdle. Was told by BMW that my vehicle is too old to have a certificate of conformity, but I then realised that maybe I asked the wrong department about the wrong thing. I'm guessing the homologation document might be something else entireley. For some reason I got it in my head that it was a CoC that was required. Must pay more attention.

@Sparkplug...

Thanks for the congrats...a small victory.

I received the same initial response from BMW Homologation Dept. I will send you a PM and see if my own experience can be of any help to you. I picked-up bits and pieces from others on the forum and in combination my my natural tendency to irritate bureaucracy, I kept pushing through!

I must just be getting old, I suppose....

Hi was there any particular DVLA address you sent your cert and V5C to? As we have just got back 3 Certs for our 1150 GS's and my 1100S. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom