1200 RT's . . . . . . What are issues ?

luke scott

Reaction score
Looking at 2006 / 2007 1200RT's in Germany with low Km's. Thinking of using it as a city commuter without panniers (as seen in Paris). There is good value and obviously all €uro so no currency or VAT to be paid on import into Ireland. What are the known issues with the 1200 RT ?

Spend the extra and go for a twin cam !

Issues mostly sorted including the brake units

2006 ~2007 either have the Servo ABS or the later have the ones that the brushes stick in

And FDs that are not as strong as they should be

Looking at 2006 / 2007 1200RT's in Germany with low Km's. Thinking of using it as a city commuter without panniers (as seen in Paris). There is good value and obviously all €uro so no currency or VAT to be paid on import into Ireland. What are the known issues with the 1200 RT ?

The older the bike the more likely the rear ESA adjustment motors will become waterlogged and then fail.

I've been looking for a while and have come to the conclusion that I should go for a late 1150 or a Twin Cam. Anything in between seems too risky unless it's from someone I know or at least a one owner bike with detailed history.

Somebody tell me I'm wrong and that a sub 50k mile '05/'06 1200 at £3-3.5k is worth a shot over an 1150?
They seem very attractive when they include cruise and heated seats.

Basically a lot of them are like a hand grenade with the pin loose!

Ex valves have a habit of letting go!!

The FDs are weak and prone to fail

The propshafts seize up from water ingress

The rear Pivot bearing pins seize in

The Pivot bearings at the Frame seize up

AND The ABS If it is a servo one ??? Its when NOT If they fail, If it's a later evolution ?

It's brushes stuck in the slides BUT you do not lose brake effort if it fails as you do with Servo brakes

So 1150 "For Me" is preferable as a risk to take

i've got a 2007 R1200RT, i've had it since 2016

it's generally been pretty good except I've had three fuel strip failures and now the brushes in the ABS motor have stuck, hence ABS does not work.

35,000 miles on my twin cam 2013 plate.
Servicing and tyres only.

Been a good reliable and comfortable machine for me.

Maybe consider RTP, my 2014 twin cam is up for sale on here. It’s been a very reliable bike with a host of farkles. Narrow panniers handy for lane splitting.

A bit late to the party...

I bought a 2009 at the start of last summer. Within a week I knew id f*cked up and the ESA suspension was bolloxed. T-Tech in London rebuilt both units, fitted new springs and upgraded some of the components. Cost was around £500. The shocks are now superb.

2008/09 have non servo ABS which is a good thing.

Ive got to say the bike is brilliant. Rides very well and sits at any speed I'd want to travel at effortlessly. The only criticism is it feels slower than it is due to the wind protection, but you can drop the electric screen for some wind blast.

Back
Top Bottom