Two bloke's,Two T 7s,Overland too Africa..

That is absolutely unbelievable , I'm really sorry ..can't even imagine how pissed off you must feel...and doing something so simple !!!
Have you had back issues previously ?

Good to hear that people are looking after you and I do hope that you get your bike and belongings home safely...and does your mate now ride home or carry on ?

With regards to insurance I agree, take the best you can afford, I've been using Battleface for a while now..not cheap !

Heal quickly :beerjug:

Speedy recovery and hope you get home soon.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you both get back quickly and safely, take care, speedy recovery.

Barry G

Well that is pretty bad news all round.

I was full of expectation, as I expect you were as well, when you started posting about the trip.

Just get home safely.

Tell us more about the insurance provider when you can.

Crap end to what was shaping up to be a fantastic trip. Hope you manage to get both you and the bike home without too much difficulty. Your trip will still be there when you have healed and got fit again.

An update from my RD&E Hospital Devon...

From the start there was allot off miss communication which materialised later in the week ending in a cancelled flight home at 04.30 hrs on Saturday morning on due date departure..( 05.00 was the cut off time.)... Maroc Customs block it...because of the Bike...
Because off where I was ( unable too walk ) and phone signal my daughter Jo & her partner Phil dealt with all off it..( in Uk )..which was easier as a focal point and some who could remember stuff..
But a message onto a Facebook group dealing with North and West Africa overlanding group,( I am a member) for help was a turning point..
( Ringing the British Embassy a waste off time,after 16.30 they go home weekend,don't even bother)

Customs was a big stumbling block..you imported it so you take it out with you.....!!! Accident not our problem.....
Insurance company we now belive had not a clue but kept reassuring us all OK.. it was not..

In steps the overlanding group..!
After 3 steps off people saying this person's name passing me onto another down the line I finally reach Yazid Sedki El Idrissi a Laayoune bike rider and part off the biking group in the town who knows allot of people.( his wife happens to work in customs too !!! )

So the Saturday 25th was a lot off organising day between him,daughter, insurance company,Medical team Customs,police.i was unaware at the time as most off it was kept from me...
Paper work was sorted money paid,cash too the hospital.bike transport from police pound cash again.
Bike and luggage now at the hospital,Saturday late afternoon,Yazid took some photos and all appears OK...even my Montana 700i still there...

Sunday.
Planes on its way from Munich...Flightrader24 shows it has left and arrival time..
Morphine administered and onto the plane in an air bag type stretcher..did I want more...!!! Er no...
Off we go then 4 1/2 ltr into Exeter airport,Blue light into hospital.now on another hospital bed........
Scans and more scans taken but no results yet...as off Monday 27th...

On a side note I casually ask the crew are you home tonight..No..
We are off to the canarys Monday for a pick-up too go to Norway......!!!
Two crew...one Anaesthetist and a Doctor.. both retired but doing two week rotation as and when required...citation type jet..

Hoo and Yazid has a friend who now has the bike in a locked garage for my collection when I return...I have been granted till the 27th August too remove from the country...
It has been a very very emotional time for all concerned,..( it still is )...........SO I SAY AGIAN..GET THE BLOODY INSURANCE SORTED OUT....
Mike...
An update..
Just been informed,although my back has a fracture it appears stable and after a week in hospital for observations I can go home for the weekend...
I thank the Good old NHS for there work and care for me.....

Last edited:
Good news that you're back in Devon, for you and your family.

Well played the Moroccan chap, his wife and your family.
You're home-ish now and hopefully on the road to recovery which is fantastic news.
Try to keep your spirits up and keep us updated when you feel well enough.

Take care. :thumb2

Good to hear your back. Get well soon!
If nothing else, you now have an excuse to go back to get the bike. That is, providing, of course, your family will let you go!! :blast:pullface:augie:bluesn2s

Glad you're back and in safe hands. Hard to sort anything from a hospital bed!

What happened to the lad you were travelling with? Did he carry on?

So sorry to hear the trip ended that way.

Hopefully you will be able to carry on where you left off but if not and you are struggling to repatriate the bike you might find someone on here is willing to fly out and ride it back for you.

I am at home now and recuperating.
Many thanks for the get well message's.

Just too reiterate again ...make sure your
HEALTH INSURANCE IS ADEQUATE..
Last photo is of L2R
sister of Nadjlae
Nadjlae my Nurse who looked after my well being,speaking very good English.
Yazid,a M/cycle club rider,who was a saviour,in knowing people too get things up and running,liaising with Jo my daughter,medical team,customs and police,and storage off the bike

20230225_144336.jpg

If you ever get too Laayoune seek this person out on F/book.

Screenshot_20230225_220004_Facebook.jpg

Glad to hear the progress. Just two questions, what insurance did you have and what happened to your mate?

Insurance...Pj Hayman...Mult trip Premier Plus
Mate...he turned right and I turned left too continue....
Or he went up the country and I went downwards...

An update.
I am currently in Gran Canaria Airport,with several hours too kill.before flying into Laayoune too collect my bike too ride home.
I am in not too much hurry and will leave either
Sunday or monday..
A progress on my health,
It's not been a speedy recovery.
I have just started back part time working ( a few hours at a time ).,being a gardener its all back work so am very careful in what I do but needless too say I won't be doing as much as before..
The ride home will be leisurely and have my back brace packed just incase...

Back
Top Bottom