Two bloke's,Two T 7s,Overland too Africa..

An update.
I am currently in Gran Canaria Airport,with several hours too kill.before flying into Laayoune too collect my bike too ride home.
I am in not too much hurry and will leave either
Sunday or monday..
A progress on my health,
It's not been a speedy recovery.
I have just started back part time working ( a few hours at a time ).,being a gardener its all back work so am very careful in what I do but needless too say I won't be doing as much as before..
The ride home will be leisurely and have my back brace packed just incase...
Wow just read the full thread. I took the video at the start...you were both so full of excitement and eagerness. Very very sobering thread. regards to you Sir!

Well this is a little bit of good news on a bright and sunny day. Excellent.
Have a good trip home.

Good luck with your return trip.

Don't overdo it. Lots of rest breaks.

Thanks for the offer,but I have no set plan or timing's, It about a 1000mls too Tangier Med before I get the ferry to Spain.
Then up too Santander/Plymouth ferry then an hour or so too home..
No ferry booked yet as I have no idea on how long it will take..

Good to hear that your troubles are now all but behind you.

People knock insurance cover “As it’s a rip-off and never pays, mate”. Once more, your posts show that this is wrong. I cannot even start to think how much your hospital treatment and subsequent medical evacuation flight would have cost without it or even if those that helped you would have been able to arrange it, without an insurer’s help

This thread (coupled to the one which went horribly wrong for someone, who did not have the proper insurance) should be enough to convince anyone that going anywhere (even just to France for the day) without decent insurance is very stupid. You injured yourself in a seemingly freakish way, with possibly very bad consequences. I ruptured my Achilles, simply lifting my bike onto its centre stand, another freakish occurrence, perhaps. All insurance claims are, by their nature and definition, sudden and unforeseen. Insurance does not judge the freakishness of the happening…. It helps and then pays.

Best wishes for a full and complete recovery.

Last edited:
Thank you Richard,
I was off that thinking years ago,but am glad I am now Medevac'ed insured for many years.

I have now changed too Navigator insurance now as Pj Hayman could not offer the same cover as before due too them waiting for the underwriters With new wording policy coming out and they had not seen it yet..
Navigator were very responsive on the phone and no loading on the policy due too a claim..
Still with the same type off cover though..

crumbles,
have you been checked for Osteoporosis?
A Dexascan - bone density scan will quickly find out if you have it.
I broke my back (L5 compression fracture) picking up a Bike - wasn't diagnosed for a year / paying for that now - over ten years later.

Hope this trip is an enjoyable one!
All the best.

just imagine what the cost would have been to get you fit enough to fly back home ,was it a private medical jet or first / business class with accompanying medical staff.
brother in laws partner had a. medical emergency in Nepal and had to helecoptered down from quite high up then flown to better facilities in another country for several weeks then flown home with accompanying medical staff ,think the cost was in the region of £250,000

Rovert 57,
It was a Lear jet,2 pilots,1 Doctor & an Anaethtatist..

Screenshot_20230226_111553_Flightradar24.jpg

20230226_124922.jpg

Too conclude this sorry episode in my life...
It was a chuffing nightmare..!!!
Ryanair from Bristol..too Gran Canaria..1 bloke whinging...why can't my family sit together,Stewardesses reassured the bloke it would be possible later but after takeoff..." Did you book so you can sit together " No...they did later.....

Air marroc too Laayoune ...Jesus what is it with people...plane is likely oven on board...I am in full bike gear,boots aswell as I only have hand luggage booked..another chuffing bloke full on arguing with flight staff..he still went through...any other airline it would have police on board...
Laayoune border control..
Pulled too one side and questioned,,,but all OK allowed in....After some explaining about accident and them looking on computer about my exit..

Nightmare begins...
All OK on the first day, 2nd evening...I get a full on nose bleed for no apparent reason...( can't even remember the last time I had one.)
Blood thinning tablets don't help..
Every day I am in Morroco I get nose bleeds...even upto a point when I was in a hotel and it started at 21.00 hrs.next morning after a very broken sleep its into Marrakesh hospital for them too sort out courtesy off hotel calling an ambulance.....( sorry about the blood stained place but they were OK with it..)
Now have blood clotting gauze for my nose after I was sent too a pharmacy too buy it,and a private clinic for blood test for them too make sure I am OK too travel home...
Into Spain it still continues,then get a break 2 days with no nose bleed..whoop whoop...
Hostel in Bilbao Saturday morning for the boat home,,,just started a yogurt,,,out it comes....in goes the gauze and a retire too the bedroom..for a lay down again..
Onto the Galicia ferry that morning (lovely boat.) And home with no more nose bleeds...
Booked into Hospital EnT department for investigation,being seen within a week..
A few random pictures below....food related and my helpers in Laayoune....whom I can't thank enough...
After nearly 4 months it started immediately..

Last edited:
After reading this thread I’m definitely going to make sure of two things

Always get adequate travel insurance …….and stick to riding in Cheshire 😉

All the best to you Crumbles 👍

What a story! So glad that everything has turned out well .

Thats Netflix film material :unsure:

I basically run 'holiday' insurance 52 wks a year . I broke my neck ,back x3 and sternum 7 years ago. I was due to fly on a pre booked holiday a week after having a halo frame removed.... If I had not had the insurance in place I would have lost the holiday cost as there was absolutely no way I could have taken the holiday let alone fly.
Usual holiday insurance sold by travel companies etc is exactly that - 'cover' only for the holiday period.. You break a limb( or whatever) the day before ... hard luck!!

Hi. hope you don’t mind me asking
Why change from P J Hayman to Navigator ?

Seems Haymen came up trumps when needed

They could not provide adequate cover at the time as they were awaiting too hear the new terms and conditions from their insurance broker ,so they advised me too seek alternative cover.
Very polite and curtious when I spoke to lady..
Navigator was aware off my claim aswell,but were still happy too insure me ..

Yesterday I had a nice deposit into my online bank, for all my expenses whilst in hospital..

I had about a month ago asked what was happening with the claim,nice guy said he would chase it up,not his department but would non the less make people aware of the claim...
I casually asked him ...
Did he know how much my Medevac was...
His reply was, "I can't tell you exactly but it is above 65k"...... :oops:

GOOD INSURANCE IS A MUST....AND MEET YOUR NEEDS...!!

Back
Top Bottom