BMW Engine something missing?

p5taylor

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased my first new BMW R1250 GSA and noticed while cleaning it yesterday that on the lower part of the engine (below cylinder head) on the riders right hand side just before the oil level viewing window, there is a machined face that looks like it should take a gasket with a approx. 20mm hole into the engine and a smaller 6mm taped hole to mount something to it. First shock, horror thought was that it looks like something was missing or has dropped off or wasn't fitted? After a quick google image search of this location it looks like this is normal, how bizarre.

My question is - what is this for, it has got to have some purpose, does anyone know?

I think it`s probably used at the factory to hold the engine in a jig whilst travelling along the production line or for ease of positioning when the engine is married to the chassis.

Here`s the question: what do we think about using this area either side of the engine to affix my Abba Skylift type mounting points on my home-made single post bike lift?
They`ll be holding up the entire weight of the bike.
Safe, or wouldn`t you risk it?

Here`s the question: what do we think about using this area either side of the engine to affix my Abba Skylift type mounting points on my home-made single post bike lift?
They`ll be holding up the entire weight of the bike.
Safe, or wouldn`t you risk it?

It will be perfectly safe for me, without risk, if you were to engage your Skylift and then to report back here after several "up and down" cycles

Don't know but i would tighten that frame bolt ;)

Not my bike, it`s just a pic i got off Google images.

It will be perfectly safe for me, without risk, if you were to engage your Skylift and then to report back here after several "up and down" cycles

I`ve decided to go with the swingarm pivots à la Abba.
Although those engine points would be closer to the C of G and potentially make for a more balanced lift the
stand would have to be situated further out from the bikes centreline because of the cylinders and increase the
bending moment and stresses around the lifting post.
Lifting from the swingarm pivot inevitably puts the C of G well forward (hence the Abba`s `stoppie` position) so i`ll have to
provide support further forward for a horizontal lifting attitude. Probably some kind of platform under the bash plate (if the fixings are up to it...)

from the swingarm pivot inevitably puts the C of G well forward (hence the Abba`s `stoppie` position) so i`ll have to
provide support further forward for a horizontal lifting attitude. Probably some kind of platform under the bash plate (if the fixings are up to it...)

Why don't you just do it the way Abba suggest and use a strap to the back wheel hole, or around the final drive? As shown in an earlier post.
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/472714-ABBA-Skylift-Stand

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 08.59.07.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-26 at 08.59.07.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 214

Back
Top Bottom