Ottocast?

andysdad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Saw this on Advrider, can be bought for only £102 shipped (plus duty & VAT?) from Aliexpress.

Is it the future? Or too complex for UK roads? I suspect the latter, I don’t listen to music when riding, and certainly would not want email or SMS!

That said, I have used Android Auto in a hire car, and using Waze or Google Maps is a breeze.

Thoughts?

There’s a few threads on ADV Rider if you search for CarPlay on there. There’s also a few YouTube videos if you search motorcycle CarPlay.

Once My Route App Next has CarPlay I’m thinking of getting one. I’m on iOS so Wunderlinq isn’t really looking good enough for me. CarPlay should make the Spotify interface more glove friendly.

There’s a few different sellers under different brand names. The Maxca C5 pro seems the common one as the pro has dual Bluetooth connections for the intercom connection.

Nobody answered my post 2 weeks' ago - boo-hoo.....

========

I have merged you in.

Richard

If these devices become more popular, it might be worth having a sub-section for them. We can bet that there’ll be posts on “Mine won’t sync with my Spotify account” and “It won’t power up in the rain”.

We shall see.

Richard, the “merging” has lost my thread and the links I'd found….:nenau

Richard, the “merging” has lost my thread and the links I'd found….:nenau

The links in what is now the opening post in the thread do work, perfectly.

12091a586779ef026ea59f4fb54608d9.png

2cc6092c7bea83a55f126447e24b8857.png

Your post #5 made me laugh at the time, with its tongue-in-cheek boo-hoo. The entire thread now confirms you as the original finder and linker of this wonder product :D

:beerjug:

PS Of course I might now be running the risk of some bod jumping up to say “I discovered it first, mate” :mad: :D

With the all conquering rise of the phone as a hub for everything, I can sort of see how this device might fit in. Especially for those that want a larger display for all the bells and whistles at their finger tips, without which no ride is ever complete. Motorbikes’ displays are now starting to rival cars, as infotainment centres. People used to be happy with a paper map and a basic Walkman in their tankbag or humming a tune in their head.

PS Yes, I know, I have a TFT screen on my 1600, that is larger than a battleship. But the bloody thing leaks EMF’s, which fecks up my Garmin XT and BMW’s own Connected navigation app, around which the big TFT screen is meant to function. That’s progress Jim, but not as we know it.

With the all conquering rise of the phone as a hub for everything, I can sort of see how this device might fit in. Especially for those that want a larger display for all the bells and whistles at their finger tips, without which no ride is ever complete. Motorbikes’ displays are now starting to rival cars, as infotainment centres.

I’ve been looking at these since December and following the threads on ADV Rider. I’m torn between one of these or Wunderlinq.

There’s pros and cons to both. The CarPlay device will be big icons and useable more easily. It also means the phone can stay in the tank bag or pocket so no camera damage. However, it relies on your chosen nav app supporting CarPlay (I’m waiting on MRA Next support) and has no wonderwheel support. The Wunderlinq seems more trustworthy and eliminates touching the screen, but then uses the phone screen so means mounting it on the bars and thus the risk of camera damage or it coming out of the mount. It’s also not fantastic for iOS and also relies on the app supporting it (MRA said they’re currently working on keyboard control but not specifically Wunderlinq integration)

Some feedback about the two units shown in the thread

The mount setup shown does not work with the GS bars certainly on the Hexhead variant

The Ram type arm is OK but the U mount needs loads of washers to take up the short threading of the bar

The profile of the two bar clamps is not well suited to the GS bars,

and will need your bar wrapping with a good build up of electricians tape, to allow the clamps to lock to the bar

The unit is very similar to one i had some years age, which was a clone of a working android unit,

but was hardware locked so nothing could be updated.

I currently run an 8" tablet, which even when running co-pilot, can look cluttered.

The more you have onscreen at anytime the less maps you can see overall!

This looks like its just updated to a later android version,

However if you look closely at the advert for the Otto unit, its just wallpaper, as in its just words to entice you to buy

1) Spelling mistakes, look for the Momory setting?

2) 5.8G wifi module - yet the unit only shows 4G

3) IP7 rating - the unit is glued together sealed to prevent water ingress for 30 mins at 1' so no replacable battery

4) Wriless headphones, i guess this is another new technology they have invented

5) Bluetooth 5.0 but no profiles mentioned ?

6) Automotive specification chip - What chip & what specification?

7) Free demolition loading - wow, haven't a clue :D

8) Built in speaker (3W) , you can work that one out

And I guess the icing on the cake,

It uses CarPlay which as far as I could see a few minutes ago is not available on the android app store?? , hmm but that's ok,

as Siri will make a call for me to find out why , as she's a totally different OS, as is CarPlay :D

** update**

Just checked, Android auto, is a stand alone program that runs from your car's console / dash

It's supplied to automotive oem,s & audio oems

The car unit does all the work so to speak, with your phone or tablet talking to the master (car) unit

So if this unit has AA, where did they get if from ??

Interesting unit, BUT, its come a bit late to the market. Bikes are now getting CarPlay etc built in. I was looking at a new Forza 350 scooter yesterday that had Hondas take on an app. There's even talk of the next update on the goldwing software having wireless CarPlay.

Price has gone up my linked item, now £113, but useful for older bikes?

Interested to know if anyone tries one.

A

I’ve been looking at these since December and following the threads on ADV Rider. I’m torn between one of these or Wunderlinq.

There’s pros and cons to both. The CarPlay device will be big icons and useable more easily. It also means the phone can stay in the tank bag or pocket so no camera damage. However, it relies on your chosen nav app supporting CarPlay (I’m waiting on MRA Next support) and has no wonderwheel support. The Wunderlinq seems more trustworthy and eliminates touching the screen, but then uses the phone screen so means mounting it on the bars and thus the risk of camera damage or it coming out of the mount. It’s also not fantastic for iOS and also relies on the app supporting it (MRA said they’re currently working on keyboard control but not specifically Wunderlinq integration)

The MyRoute app works brilliantly already on Car Play so can only get better

Interesting unit, BUT, its come a bit late to the market. Bikes are now getting CarPlay etc built in. I was looking at a new Forza 350 scooter yesterday that had Hondas take on an app. There's even talk of the next update on the goldwing software having wireless CarPlay.

But academic as you only need a £5 Bluetooth dongle to make wireless .
Ok, the phone is still plugged in but needs to be anyway for charging purposes

But academic as you only need a £5 Bluetooth dongle to make wireless .
Ok, the phone is still plugged in but needs to be anyway for charging purposes

That true of course. However, I’m looking forward to the upgrade as it’s rumoured to also have a map update on the very poor satnav.

Incidentally, I’ll find out tomorrow if I’ll be getting the scooter.

Just fitted one to the new GSA, had some printed blocks from eBay and bought a box of M3 stainless bolts to fix on to the sat nav bracket where the BMW mount was.
Wired into USB for now.
With packta edge connected to iPhone on phone 1, then bike on bike and CarPlay device on sat nav, and the bike connected to the phone, I can control music via wonderwheel, or car play. Sound is OK for both music and Google maps and now Calimoto is carplay aware.
I’ll give some more feedback when I’ve used the bike a bit more.

Thanks Wobble - be interested in an update.

You mention blocks - are these 3D printed mounting blocks? Got a link?

Back
Top Bottom