Hurricane at the IWM, Duxford

Talking of fuel starvation in a negative G situation; similar happened with the more modern Bulldog trainer in the late '90s. We fitted an inverted oil system so that the engine did not seize with negative G around that time, I was part of the Bulldog engineering authority, it did not quite work as expected. I popped over to Cambridge airport and went up as an observer to watch the oil pressure disappear when putting the nose down as if there was a very large problem. Had me a bit worried.

In a not completely unrelated comment, I now have my father’s Aero Engineer’s Manual, from his time at De Havilland’s Technical School, dated October 1945.

I’ll take some pictures of some of the pages. It’s a wonderfully simple little book, dealing with lots of very technical issues in a very clear way; a perfect grounding in the basics. Published in 1942.

Hurricane over spitfire

Being an aeromodeller, one would assume that I would have at least one spitfire in my collection, but no, not one, but the Hurricane, I have at least four examples of.
For me it was the greater of the two for the reasons that above have mentioned-more kills, repairable, could take more damage and still fly etc. and most importantly was the more instrumental in the battle of britain.
However, my favourite and I think the most elegant was the TA152 (high altitude version of the Dora, butcher bird focke Wolf), trouble is with that high aspect wing ratio, a sod to model and fly as they tip stall easily-another reason why the Hurricane is favourite.
Quite apart from liking the underdog element.

Being an aeromodeller, one would assume that I would have at least one spitfire in my collection, but no, not one, but the Hurricane, I have at least four examples of.
For me it was the greater of the two for the reasons that above have mentioned-more kills, repairable, could take more damage and still fly etc. and most importantly was the more instrumental in the battle of britain.
However, my favourite and I think the most elegant was the TA152 (high altitude version of the Dora, butcher bird focke Wolf), trouble is with that high aspect wing ratio, a sod to model and fly as they tip stall easily-another reason why the Hurricane is favourite.
Quite apart from liking the underdog element.

Something to make your day then ... :D

If memory serves, I think the bi-plane is a Hawker Fury.

Indeed it is.

That was Britain’s fighter before the Hurricane morphed from it. They needed a biplane as the engines of the time were not powerful enough, the second wing being needed to provide additional lift. Roll’s delivery of the Merlin engine gave them the power, enabling Sidney Camm to take the Fury, take away the wing and the rest is history.

The Fury was, for its day, an excellent aeroplane but the age of tge biplane was over.

….. Not unrelated - I learned recently that Hurricanes and Spitfires had a vulnerability in dogfights because whilst the German fighters could dip their noses and arc forwards into a very steep dive, the British planes could not follow because the negative gravity created by such a manoeuvre starved their engines of fuel, risking stalling. To get around this, they developed the distinctive up-and-over roll as they broke formation, because the roll created the Gs needed for the fuelling to work even whilst the plane was rapidly descending.

That half roll and pull through manoeuvre had another benefit as it allowed an aircraft to enter a dive more quickly rather than bunt slowly over the top

In fact Captain Speaking in his Airbus or Boeing still does this (or should do) in the simulator every so often when he/she/it practices an emergency descent due to something going wrong. This allows the houses to get bigger much more quickly and them/those home in time for tea

With a brimming cup of steaming coffee by the left elbow it is not something to be practised on just any Benidorm or Brisbane jolly …

Back
Top Bottom