Nationwide Flexplus account

Bigcats

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It surprises me that not many people know about this bank account as it gives you a whole heap of extras (£13 a month)

Which includes European breakdown cover for pretty much any vehicle you are in (including motorbikes, vans, campervans, motorhomes). This is with the AA and includes home and unlimited call outs.

Family worldwide travel insurance

Mobile phone insurance (I have claimed on this 3 times now and zero issues)

More info here

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/flexplus/breakdown-cover/

Just bear in mind that the travel insurance only covers you for up to 125cc motorcycles.

Motorcycling (up to 125cc, crash helmet must be worn, and you must have a valid UK licence to ride the vehicle,
no cover under Personal Liability

I have looked at this package and it is good if you have older vehicles as there is no age limit. Also very good if you have teenagers with expensive phones or a large healthy family that make overseas trips.

It is less good if you have pre-existing medical conditions as the additional premium for the travel insurance seems very high to me. I have arranged separate policies for travel and breakdown at an annual cost of under £100 compared to the £220 it would cost me to upgrade the Nationwide package from the base £156. If you have health declarations to make, go to Moneysupermarket and get a comparison as they have a good tool for declaring conditions. Currently, an Axa policy from Tesco is coming out best value at £35. I did the same for breakdown and have a policy from LV Britannia, personal in the UK, 1 named vehicle in Europe for £63. Both annual cover.

As ever, check each policy carefully to ensure it covers your circumstances and ask in this section if unsure.

Just bear in mind that the travel insurance only covers you for up to 125cc motorcycles.

The 125cc is if you hire a bike etc.
If you have a license for bigger bike and protection equipment and started the holidays on the bike you are covered.Each and every year just beforehand we set off.I ring and confirm nothing has changed.

As a heads up the breakdown cover ONLY applies to the account holder while the other stuff covers family at your address. I added SWMBO to my account so she gets the breakdown assistance so if I'm not in the car with her she's still covered.

Whats been taken away.....its covers your bike but not a hire bike

It covers any vehicle you are in

anywhere in Europe at a fraction of the cost

Have a joint account and it covers your other half

I struggled to find breakdown cover for my older bikes when in Europe and came across this account about 8 years ago. No age restriction on a vehicle ( the definition includes motorbikes ).
Thankfully have never had to use it for a bike.
Fast forward to October last year and an Italian Airport staff strike when my wife an I where in Venice.
All booked through a travel agent ( and I have to say they where brilliant " Down travel in Downpatrick" Paul the owner rang me the day he knew about it and arranged all the change of flights and accommodation free for another three days ).
So I remembered my NW account and rang them the next day.
Upon return and due to flight departure delay they gave me £300, no messing about and didn't even ask for confirmation from the travel agent.
It was hard times being stranded in Venice, but we managed :aidan
Flippen brilliant :beerjug:

I struggled to find breakdown cover for my older bikes when in Europe and came across this account about 8 years ago. No age restriction on a vehicle ( the definition includes motorbikes ).
Thankfully have never had to use it for a bike.
Fast forward to October last year and an Italian Airport staff strike when my wife an I where in Venice.
All booked through a travel agent ( and I have to say they where brilliant " Down travel in Downpatrick" Paul the owner rang me the day he knew about it and arranged all the change of flights and accommodation free for another three days ).
So I remembered my NW account and rang them the next day.
Upon return and due to flight departure delay they gave me £300, no messing about and didn't even ask for confirmation from the travel agent.
It was hard times being stranded in Venice, but we managed :aidan
Flippen brilliant :beerjug:

Wish I’d had it when we were stranded in Orlando by the ‘volcanic ash cloud’. That extra 2wks cost me £7500…

Wish I’d had it when we were stranded in Orlando by the ‘volcanic ash cloud’. That extra 2wks cost me £7500…

Jesus!!

I would have bought a tent and slept with all the homeless the US seems to have.

That is a hideous amount of money to drop on you at short notice

I may just open an account just for the breakdown cover. £13 a month is a lot cheaper than the policies I’m paying for now for four vehicles! Shame the maximum is 8 metres for a motorhome abroad though!

Jesus!!

I would have bought a tent and slept with all the homeless the US seems to have.

That is a hideous amount of money to drop on you at short notice

It was, but I’d just been made redundant from 22yrs with Santander and had a chunk in the bank and a policy paying my salary for 12mths so I was ok. I ended up taking 6mths off then going back to work for Santander for another couple of years. At least we had our house to go and stay in, so could forgo the idea of buying a tent.

Had Nationwide Flex plus for 10 years now. Needed it twice once for a breakdown and once when we had to bail out of Egypt sharpish back in 2020 when Covid was just kicking off.
When I rang them, they said they would cover us for up to £1500 each for hotel costs. Given that all flights were off for at least a month, the £3000 would have lasted us about 20 days in the hotel we were in and then still no guarantees of a flight back. In the end we sorted a flight from Cairo and Nationwide refunded all the flight costs within a week.
I added the wife to my account last year so she has the breakdown cover if I am not with her.

I'm just looking at an account, and it says this in Specific Exclusions Section 9

"Motorcycles, mopeds and scooters
Any claim as a result of you using any motorcycle, moped or scooter, if:
• You do not wear a crash helmet.
• You are in control of the vehicle and you do not hold a valid licence to drive that vehicle type in your home area.
• The vehicle is above 125cc and you did not use it to travel from your home area.
• You are not wearing appropriate protective clothing."

I take this to mean, if you rode your above 125cc bike from home, you're golden.

And under Incuded Activities:
"You are covered for Land-based activities:
Motorcycling (up to 125cc, crash helmet must be worn, and you must have a valid UK licence to ride the vehicle, no cover under Personal Liability)

So, stuffed if you take your bike in a van, or hire an above 125cc bike on holiday otherwise all good.

Back
Top Bottom