Thunderbox wiring

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got myself a Thunderbox to sort out my growing accessories collection but running into an immediate electronics stumbling block.

My dash cameras and Denali lamps both used a relay and switched live tap to activate them when set up independently and that won’t be needed with the Thunderbox. So my question is how do I bypass these or what should I do? I’m sure it just me being an incompetent fool but I’ll happily admit that and seek the wisdom of the masses.

This issue I have is my bike is a 2012 R1200GS so I only have 1 switch live tap point and I don’t want to run everything off it (USB is there currently). Is there away if bypassing the switch power or can I combine it with the live feed as the Thunderbox will manage that in the future?

Images for reference.

Camera - yellow ACC wire needs a feed.
df77173e17bd68fcaac09a3a4d1ba89b.jpg

Denali’s - white switch power tap - again needs a feed
09aba45428fc3604615593409adc915c.jpg

I know nothing about the lights but I guess you could possibly do it one of several ways. Here’s one:

The white trigger wire of the Thundebox to the bike’s live feed, replacing the USB feed you have there already. This, if nothing else, will maintain your understandable desire for just a single feed from this point. This will negate the Thunderbox relying only on voltage gain / drop to turn itself on and off.

Wire the USB lead into the Thunderbox. Depending how long this lead is, you might need to extend it perhaps. Failing that, Thunderbox offer a very tidy, long lead, USB socket. This will arrive in the post near enough by return or find one on EBay.

On the lights, wire the positive ring connector to the battery.

Wire the light’s negative to the negative of the Thunderbox or to any decent earth that is convenient.

Wire the light’s trigger wire to the positive of the Thunderbox.

My camera is the same as yours.
I wired Red positive direct to the battery.
Black earth to a chassis earth, though could also be battery neg.
Trigger wire to one of the thunderbox output positives.

Cheers both. I think I might run the Denali lights on their old direct connection and then wire my usb direct to the Thunderbox and do the same as Baz for the camera.

Back
Top Bottom