New Himalayan owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hoping to pick up a Himalayan next week and will post pics when I get it, a 2021 E5 model.
I have been reading lots of articles and also looked at the Hitchcock site and have a couple of questions, probably many more will follow :aidan
Is there a service manual for the Himalayan and also is the diagnostic scanner for the bike from Hitchcock worth it? Just asking as coming from BMW where I have used my GS911 on a regular basis.
Also is there any advice for a new Himalayan owner apart from looking at all the farkles available :hippy
Paul

There’s a lot of stuff that’s just superfluous, except possibly the luggage.

Welcome to the Himmie ownership experience.

Great bike, love mine as a second bike and would not swap it for anything. I would advise you change the two relays under the rider seat which if problematic cause poor starting, irratic running and premature stalling as per the many youtube videos on the subject. Cost under £10 and worth the investment. There will be some owners who say they have never seen a problem but from my experience and that of several folk I know, it is not worth taking the risk if reliability is paramount.
Some bikes seem to have steering head bearing and swing arm bearings that have too little grease when new, so check that out too. There was also a recall on the brake calipers to change the ones branded as BYBRE due to corrosion of the pistons. Not sure if many E5 bikes are affected.

Enjoy.

Great bike, love mine as a second bike and would not swap it for anything. I would advise you change the two relays under the rider seat which if problematic cause poor starting, irratic running and premature stalling as per the many youtube videos on the subject. Cost under £10 and worth the investment. There will be some owners who say they have never seen a problem but from my experience and that of several folk I know, it is not worth taking the risk if reliability is paramount.

I thought the relay issue was only the E5 model?

With regards advice, just ride it and accept it for what it is, not what it's not. I managed 9000 miles last year, mostly around Europe, just enjoy it :D

My E4 model suffered the Relay issue, the official Enfield "fix" according to my tosser of a dealer is to clean the excess white grease from the terminals and swap them over, doh. Altnough this does seem to solve the problem, I was not confident this solution would last long term. When I asked about changing the relays they said that if I insisted they would trawl ebay to see what they could find. Double doh ! Eventually I got a pair of Tyco electronics relays for under £10, no further issues.

My advice is to just ride the thing don't fret about it and, enjoy the bike for what it is and don't worry about what it isn't. Both of these things i have done and over 4 years and 10k miles later
(would have been a lot more but Covid got in the way plus, i do have another bike) still love the bike.

Had mine over 4 years and for a while i had the stalling issue which, once i became accustomed to when it was likely to manifest itself i just took little steps to prevent it.
After a couple of thousand miles it stopped doing it and i haven't experienced it for years now and, might i add, it still has the original relays, I had though, replaced the
plug with an Iridium one otherwise the bike is as it left the factory apart from the plug and the steering head bearings that failed big time in short order; i replaced them
with high quality ones packing them with waterproof grease of the type that's used on yachts. Other than that i fitted heated grips, sat nav holder, usb charger, heated
jacket controller all controlled through a voltage controlled relay set up and, a heel guard over the foot brake master cylinder to prevent my heel displacing the rubber
boot all the time.

As for the diagnostics, i have a cheapo ebay ELM 327 obd interface bluetooth thingy that plugs into a KTM adapter lead which plugs into the OBD port on the Himmy which
along with the Car Scanner app on my 'phone amongst other things enables me to see and clear fault codes.

A tip for you. If not already been done, remove the speedo cable from the rubber grommet and let it run free in the clip thing otherwise, due to the constant bending as the forks do their work, it will break.

Enjoy :thumb2

I am with the advice given above.

I have the 2022 Fi version of the bike. Beyond adding a side stand foot enlarger thing, a flying lead to the battery, to allow my Optimate to connect to it, and the heel guard mentioned above (a tip I picked up within a day from these pages, having dislodged the rubber cap) I have added nothing. The only thing I do have to add is the mount for a Garmin XT.

When the time comes, I will probably replace the chain and sprockets with something a bit better from Japan.

At only 26 bhp, you don’t want to be adding ‘bling’ weight, nor do you need to. I see no point in big bore kits, ‘hot cams’, fancy air filters, different screens, LED lights, fancy footrests, RE embossed oil filler caps. Indeed, if anything I’d be taking weight off (it is though not a heavy motorcycle) not adding to it.

If though you plan in getting into serious off-road use, maybe think about swapping out the handle bars, as the OEM ones will bend in a decent tumble. Similarly, there is a host of websites and forum / blog pages where bods have blinged and altered their bikes to the ‘nth degree. If that’s your thing, go for it. One life…. Live it, as they say on the stickers.

PS I have added my old Touratech tankbag. It near enough fits. I had already converted the bag to accept a power feed, so I might add a power lead, when I connect the XT mount and cradle.

PPS For added warmth on cold days, I use a heated Keis waistcoat but this runs from its own battery, rather than taxing the bike’s not overly powerful alternator.

I am with the advice given above.

PPS For added warmth on cold days, I use a heated Keis waistcoat but this runs from its own battery, rather than taxing the bike’s not overly powerful alternator.

That's interesting, I run my Kris waistcoat from the battery. I'd not looked at the output, is it not up to running the waistcoat? I've also fitted heated grips - a necessity as meds mean I get cold wings and toes!

I must confess that I hadn’t got around to adding up the draw of the bike’s standard equipment parts (lights, horn, standard electrics etc etc) to see what headroom there might be, once the Oxford grips I have fitted are on.

Based on the posts above, I might just plug the waistcoat or my Rapid Fire heated jacket liner in and see what happens ie. see if the alternator light comes on.

I have tested the output using my multi meter and, with heated jacket on medium, heated grips also on medium at idle the alternator handled the load well maintaining over 13 volts which is adequate. Reving the engine a little resulted in 14.3 volts which is all you need. So, no need to fret about what you run on the bike. I have run for hours with heated grips and jacket on and not once run out of leccy.

From memory my Rapid Fire liner is capable of running at 60 or 100 watts, with just a switching between wires to make the change.

Call it 12 volts minimum supply / 14.3 volts maximum, that is either:

A. 5 amps or 4.2 amps draw

B. 8.3 amps or 7 amps draw

Anyway, enough of taking the poor fellow’s post and thread off topic….. He wants to know about ‘Must do’ bling!

I can't help wondering if the OP "Hoff", found any of the above responses to his post/question of any value :nenau

With any luck we have saved him some money.

I think we played it wrong. We should have told him about every ‘Must do’ / ‘Must have’ bit of bling and not let it rest until he’d bought the lot.

I have been reading all the posts even the ones about heated vests:bow
Many thanks for all the advice it will certainly be useful and probably saved me a few quid.
Not picking up the bike just yet been a slight hold up in selling my F650GS single. Will certainly be back with pictures when I have resolved the hold up.
Cheers
Paul

I have been reading all the posts even the ones about heated vests:bow
Many thanks for all the advice it will certainly be useful and probably saved me a few quid.
Not picking up the bike just yet been a slight hold up in selling my F650GS single. Will certainly be back with pictures when I have resolved the hold up.
Cheers
Paul

Ah, there you are :D

We look forward to seeing the pictures of your new steed :thumb2

Keep us posted :thumb2 :beerjug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom