Goldwing 1833 (2018 + yr GL1800) Air filter change !! ??

Cortina

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Was thinking about posting a few lines and photies and "comments" about this process .... but then I ask myself "Would anyone actually be interested " ??

Most of the ones in this country (??) probably have an airbag fitted ... that makes them even more fun than the older model . True story : I changed one in an older 1800 model - in the states a few years back. It was only about 10 or 12 years old .... with a youthful 99,000 miles on it - the filter had NEVER been changed (this is not a 1 hour process !!) , it was dirty , but not desperate .... changed it , made ZERO difference to preformance , running or economy. Hmm ..... newer ones are a different story.

Was thinking about posting a few lines and photies and "comments" about this process .... but then I ask myself "Would anyone actually be interested " ??

Most of the ones in this country (??) probably have an airbag fitted ... that makes them even more fun than the older model . True story : I changed one in an older 1800 model - in the states a few years back. It was only about 10 or 12 years old .... with a youthful 99,000 miles on it - the filter had NEVER been changed (this is not a 1 hour process !!) , it was dirty , but not desperate .... changed it , made ZERO difference to preformance , running or economy. Hmm ..... newer ones are a different story.

Post away mate....I will have to do mine soon. There is a few of us on here with 2018+ Wings now.:thumb2

I made sure mine was changed at the two year service because I don’t want to do it myself.

Changing the air filter certainly seems a complex procedure on the new Wing, as it was on the previous model, particularly those with the airbag. Any idea of dealer pricing guys?

I think Fred Harmon has produced updates for the new model, but by the time you pay him for the videos, buy a workshop manual & the filter, it must pretty much work out the same as paying the dealer in the first place. I guess it depends on how much DIY you plan in the future.

In the past, having experienced a few stunts by dealer techs, I was in the habit of checking filter changes, oil & air, using a paint marker, but the complexity of the Wing makes that difficult, but not impossible I guess.

Changing the air filter certainly seems a complex procedure on the new Wing, as it was on the previous model, particularly those with the airbag. Any idea of dealer pricing guys?

I think Fred Harmon has produced updates for the new model, but by the time you pay him for the videos, buy a workshop manual & the filter, it must pretty much work out the same as paying the dealer in the first place. I guess it depends on how much DIY you plan in the future.

In the past, having experienced a few stunts by dealer techs, I was in the habit of checking filter changes, oil & air, using a paint marker, but the complexity of the Wing makes that difficult, but not impossible I guess.

Fred does not cover the airbag (yet - as of last week) . I did offer him a free trip to Ireland to do it - but he did not take me up on the offer !

I plan on changing mine around 22-25,000 miles which will be a ways off. I believe Fred's maintenance video set for $80 is a pretty good deal especially considering that my dealer charges $105 per hour and I believe they figure almost 5 hours to change the filter.

I plan on changing mine around 22-25,000 miles which will be a ways off. I believe Fred's maintenance video set for $80 is a pretty good deal especially considering that my dealer charges $105 per hour and I believe they figure almost 5 hours to change the filter.
Aye, Freds videos are very good and well worth the cost. Almost too detailed at times and his delivery isn't exactly pulse quickening, but overall really good.

Thanks boxer, I'm going to buy them just haven't got around to it. I guess waiting until I actually need to do something LOL.

Thanks boxer, I'm going to buy them just haven't got around to it. I guess waiting until I actually need to do something LOL.

If anyone can do the air bag model in 5 hours first time round , they are doing very well ! My fig was probably closer to 8 , but I did not time it - 2 days part time , slow work .... feeling my way in the dark slightly !
All in all - very doable DIY , you just need to take your time and be well organised (Cornflake boxes with lots of holes in them for me - 1 per "main bit" removed.) There is a Cuiseman video on youtube , for installing something like a homelink kit - this gets you most of the way (+ some items removed that can leave ! ... use brain and common sense) - inc main shelter removal , but it's NOT the same for an airbag model !

No the 5 hours was "shop time" for a mechanic, heck it'll probably take me 2 days. Maybe longer if I need to order parts that I break or loose!

How can you know for sure that it was actually done?

I ask the dealer to return to me all the old parts replaced. True, they could be old ones from another bike but in reality it’s unlikely that the dealer would fuck about like that.

On my new wing I’ve got 3 years “free” servicing as part of the Honda 3-3-3 offer. I’d not be keen on working on one of these new wings myself.

On my new wing I’ve got 3 years “free” servicing as part of the Honda 3-3-3 offer. I’d not be keen on working on one of these new wings myself.

Which one have you got ?

2023 Goldwing DCT Tour in all black. Delivered yesterday. Had the 2021 Goldwing DCT Tour Airbag model in white with black engine and exhaust.

Nice. I’ve only seen one white one, it was outside the dealer in Hull. I bet it takes some keeping clean.

Nice. I’ve only seen one white one, it was outside the dealer in Hull. I bet it takes some keeping clean.

The white one - not so much as you think although as the owner, want to keep it Zanussi fresh.

Black is harder to keep clean if I’m honest. The only reason I went for the all black model is that I don’t like chrome and this years model had only one model with the black exhaust and engine and that was the black bodied version.

Back
Top Bottom