Ferry Pay AND AutoPASS for ferry - which one?

Bob Jeffries

It's good to be back ..
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have registered with both Ferry Pay AND AutoPASS for ferry in preparation for a trip to Norway (23rd May to 14th June) - can anyone tell me if I actually need both and if not which one should I cancel.

If I keep both will I get charged twice?

Helpppppp!

I’m going in August so watching this with interest. Does each bike/rider need one of these or can I just get whichever one and pay for both me and my lad?
Anyone with personal experience please?

I only registered with Ferry Pay last year, I have in mind that bikes are excluded from the autofee - front-facing cameras?
The ferry staff photo each vehicle reg plate and upload as and when. By my calculation I was only charged for 12 out of 15 ferries, but its only a miserly fee.
And its not as if my reg is easy to confuse with others.........

I was over there in the middle of last year. Registered with Ferry Pay. Caught 5-6 ferries. Could see them all quite clearly in my account, but I've never had any charges.

I have registered with both Ferry Pay AND AutoPASS for ferry in preparation for a trip to Norway (23rd May to 14th June) - can anyone tell me if I actually need both and if not which one should I cancel.

If I keep both will I get charged twice?

Helpppppp!
The Autopass system is explained in the top lock posting.

As for double charge if registered in both systems:
No, they are coordinated, so no double charge.

Link: https://ferrypay.no/

Last edited:
Just coming to the end of our 3½ weeks tour of Norway. We only registered with ferry pay and its been fine, no problems.

Just a note for future Norwegian tourists:
1. Pre book the dinner buffet on the Emden to Kristiansand ferry and get in there as soon as it opens at 5.30pm. It includes as much as you can drink beer, red and white wine as well as an excellent choice of food. You can stay there until 8.30pm.
2. If you intend to get the ferry down the fjord from Lysebotn you MUST BOOK IT IN ADVANCE. Its a very small ferry and is always full.
3. It is better to pre book the ferry from Bodo to the Loften Islands, there are limited places for "casual" places.
4. DO NOT use ULVIK Camping, its crap.

I'm happy to tell anyone where we stayed and will make a list when we get home.

Just coming to the end of our 3½ weeks tour of Norway. We only registered with ferry pay and its been fine, no problems.

Just a note for future Norwegian tourists:
1. Pre book the dinner buffet on the Emden to Kristiansand ferry and get in there as soon as it opens at 5.30pm. It includes as much as you can drink beer, red and white wine as well as an excellent choice of food. You can stay there until 8.30pm.
2. If you intend to get the ferry down the fjord from Lysebotn you MUST BOOK IT IN ADVANCE. Its a very small ferry and is always full.
3. It is better to pre book the ferry from Bodo to the Loften Islands, there are limited places for "casual" places.
4. DO NOT use ULVIK Camping, its crap.

I'm happy to tell anyone where we stayed and will make a list when we get home.

Good and valid points here.

If I may, I will take the liberty and add some comments to #3, the ferry to/from Lofoten (Bodø-Moskenes).

Booking in advance is indeed tempting, and may calm the nerves.
But keep in mind:
- The booking system register full and block for further booking when only 50% of available capacity is sold.
- The price of the reserved ticket is twice the price of showing up without prior reservation.
- Thus, if you show up without any prior reservation you may use the Ferry pay system,
- A reserved ticket is locked to the specified booking, and is none - refundable.
- It is my impression that most tourists tries to select a ferry where they are able to book ticket in advance, hence, the chances are fairly good that the remaining unbookable capacity of 50% is hardly ever filled up.

I have done the journey to/from Lofoten several times, and I have yet to experience that any bikes have been left behind, And I am a chepskate, so I have never paid the double price for a reserved ticket (besides, the journey has always been 'fully booked').

So what I am trying to say is: If your journey of choice is fully booked. go to the ferry anyway. Show up in advance (for July, make it 1 hour ahead of departure time), you will most likely make it anyway.

You are far more experienced than I. I didn't even know it was cheaper to just turn up and pay.

Having been back for 4 weeks now I think I can safely say that Ferry Pay only charged me for 2 of the 11 ferries we used, at a total cost of £7.20!

Thanks to whoever suggested registering the bikes with ferry pay. My lad and I have just returned from a three week trip around Norway. Ferry pay worked exactly as advertised. I registered both bikes to my account and the fare was taken a couple of days after each ferry trip.
Once again thanks to whoever suggested this.

Back
Top Bottom