Which RE when you're 6' 4"?

I had just written out a fuller set of thoughts….. and my phone stopped! Bugger!! It will have to now wait.

I really enjoyed riding the bike. It’s not perfect but here goes:

For its power it goes well. Before though we get into that, I must say that the bike handles really well, quite ‘sharp’ even, responding excellently to even a little bit of input through the bars. In short, the chassis is excellent. From 0 to say 40 mph (a useful measure in London) is accelerates well from the lights and when dealing with large busy roundabouts. It then pulls well enough to 70 mph and cruises at a very easy 60 mph at only a bit above 4,500 rpm. Similarly, acceleration in the important band of 30 to say 75 mph is brisk enough. I rode for two junctions of a quite busy but flowing easily M25 and could deal with all vehicles easily, never finding myself boxed in, unable to overtake. I had the bike up to an indicated 90 mph on some open country roads in Essex, where it was was perfectly stable.

You can take both hands of the bars at most speeds, with no wobbles or shakes.

The clutch engages and disengages smoothly, with plenty of feel at the lever. The gear changes are all smooth, with no false neutrals. Neutral is easy to find, the green neutral light being easy to see but not obtrusive.

I didn’t look to see how adjustable the suspension might be. That being said, I like bikes on the harder side of soft; the bike was firm enough, with little to no dive and no unpleasant bouncing up a stretch of road that leads to Newmarket, which is deceptively bouncy on some bikes.

The bike didn’t have a fly screen, though wind blast was not a problem. You sit quite tall on the bike. I am six foot, I could feel the wind hitting my upper thighs and chest but it was by no means unpleasant, nor was there any buffeting. With the exception of the foot pegs (see above and below) the riding position was definitely satisfactory for a day’s ride. I did not feel uncomfortable at the end.

It is a relaxing bike to ride, much better than the same frame / engined GT version, with its lower bars, which got uncomfortable by mid-afternoon. Similarly, it was much nicer that the smaller engined Scram which I didn’t like one quarter as much as the Himalayan, which shares the same smaller engine.

The riding position makes shoulder check ‘life savers’ easy, whilst the mirrors give a pretty good view and don’t seem to vibrate too much.

The single front disc does its job; the bike is certainly not under braked. Similarly, the rear brake (unusually for the 21st century) actually does something.

The CEAT tyres were fine. It was a cold but dry day, but they didn’t feel at all ‘wooden’. I don’t doubt that there are ‘better’ tyres out there but the CEAT’s did their job.

The bike is quiet, at least from the rider’s position. I quite like this aspect of modern motorcycles, having got very bored with the unnecessary row that is coming from many bikes with silly aftermarket cans.

I came back in the (near enough) light, so had no need to check the headlight.

I forgot to ‘beep’ the horn. I guess it works.

The side stand leans the bike over quite a long way. The centre stand (I guess it is standard and not an optional extra) is very good.

I would compare the bike with the Honda 400-4 I owned in the late 70’s and, in a way, compare it favourably with the excellent F800R I owned, though that was more ‘buzzy’ and the suspension did require swapping for Nitron units front and back. To this comparison, I’d also add the excellent Honda 500. All four bikes are medium sized (small, even), light, not hugely powerful but good to ride.

Not so good points….

All of these I can live with but are worth commenting on perhaps:

1. The footrests are quite wide. Before I got used to them, particularly on the off-side, I was getting my leg in the way of the peg. Similarly, I found that (when my foot was on the ground) the inside of my right knee was coming into contact with the clutch actuator (as above) and the bulge in the casing.

2. Whilst I like the simplicity of the twin clocks and the simple key, it is perhaps odd that the outer ring of mph numbers is duller than the brighter inner kph numbers. I would have thought it would be the other way around, as it is on my Himalayan.

3. There is no easy way to mount a GPS or a phone. Of course this encourages the rider to go back to using a tank bag with handwritten instructions, which sort of suits the style of the bike quite well. What though I think might be good would be to mount a simple small round GPS unit (rather like the one on the 2022 Himalayan) between the top of the clocks, rather like 50’s and 60’s bikes of a similar style had a volt or ammeter mounted there. I don’t think it would look out of place.

4. This one is simply cosmetic. I don’t particularly like the cheap, chrome effect, square indicators. I would swap them for some better styled round ones.

5. The switch gear works but it feels fragile. I would be happy to pay £50 more on the list price for some modern switch gear.

6. I would like a clock. There might be one in the little subtle LCD screen, I must confess I didn’t look.

7. I am no great fan of the totally removable fuel cap. Put a hinge in it, Gupta, please.

It’s a ‘cheap’ bike. Easy to work on. Fun to ride, without all the bells and whistles. Bling parts, if that’s your thing, are cheap too.

Marks out of 10? A very solid eight. I would have given it nine, if they shave a bit off the foot pegs and give it a clock. 10 if they just fix (which is easy) it’s very few shortcomings left.

PS I purposely didn’t watch or read any reviews before I went out, not helped that most of them fall into the “High guys….” ‘Biker meet up’ camp and are best avoided. I do though like these fellows’ reviews, so I’ll give it a watch now:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TM0QgKcdDKA" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/APaIy08kXhE" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very good review Wapping, in agreement with much of what you say.
The footpeg positions get picked up regularly, I was banging my shins off them to begin with when paddling the bike around, they seem to be in the natural position where my feet should be on the ground. I was going to buy a repositioning kit but to be honest I got used to them quickly and now I don't notice this at all.

You can buy the RE Tripper nav with bracket that fits neatly above clocks as per Himmy from a guy called the Caffeine Racer .... pic and links below.

I bought a neat little clock that perfectly fits into the stem nut, pic on my bike below.

Like you, I found the stock bike entirely adequate in every department, mine came with Pirelli tyres though.

Earliest mods I did were to buy the free flow air filter and non restricted intake cover, also fitted RE approved Scorpion Red Power cans...... just these mods made a great difference in power delivery....also sounds delicious without just being a noise.

Others for me later were: YSS rear shocks, up and back risers, sump guard, bar end mirrors, fly screen etc. Not an expensive bike to improve to suit your own needs.

Stem nut clock for RE Twins:

Time 4 Bikes British Made Royal Enfield Interceptor & Continental GT Stem Nut Cover with Clock (Black Face) https://amzn.eu/d/cjRG35e

Caffeine Racer for Tripper Nav for RE Twins:

https://www.thecaffeineracer.uk/

Pics of my bike with clock fitted and screenshot of Caffeine Racer Tripper on an Interceptor....

d3cd7c88550ae5022c6da653d4bd29b4.jpg
7e02b5fbcc88bb3c59a5d2c6d8d80f62.jpg

Jazbee, thanks for the reply, appreciated. Interesting (and pleasing) that your ownership ‘experience’ and findings, matched up with my own thoughts after a day out. I guess we can’t both be wrong.

Thanks in particular for the news on the bling items, not least as they address what I think were some small shortcomings (dropping two marks out of 10) on the bike. The basic Tripper navigation piece looks just like I imagined something would. I agree that, by the end of my full day on the bike, I had got used to the odd foot peg position / length.

I can’t say that I like the cast wheel version of the bike as much as the spokes, nor the colour schemes. But that being said, they maybe look better in the flesh, perhaps? I do like the Baker Express colour scheme, like yours or the red/black tank version.

I see that they have tarted up the switch gear on the new ‘cast wheel’ bikes. I wonder if the pieces can be retro-fitted to the older bikes, even if it meant moving the bars across if the bars are pre-drilled with mounting holes, perhaps?

I priced up the Enfield Continental versus the near enough equivalent Triumph bikes, which are about £3,000 more. Even the more modern looking ‘retro’ 650 bike from Kawasaki (which I guess is some sort of equivalent) is £2,000 more. They are no doubt both very good bikes but the 21st century Enfield bikes are not bad or dreadful bikes either. Two to three grand is a not inconsiderable amount of cash to lob out on a bike that probably won’t be ridden every day.

I can see the bike fitting in between my Himalayan (the best pottering around / light off-road bike I have found and great for towing behind my motorhome) and my 1600 continent crusher. For simple weekends away, days out or ‘old style’ map in the tank bag navigation holidays, the Continental would fill the gap.

Another little plus point is our friend Raju Lax can supply any new tank in any colour scheme for just around £240 (chrome styles a little more) so if you get bored, you can change the look of the bike and swap about. I got the custom Baker Express side panels, but I also still have the stock black ones that go with any tank design.

I can have the tank off in 10 mins, 2 bolts, 2 elec connectors and 1 fuel - all quick connectors, no screws or fiddling, and the emperor has new clothes.

I had read that, like the Himalayan, the tanks are easy to remove and replace. I am having mine off later, to install some power connections to the front, using the highly rated Thunderbox, rather than a Fuseblock as there is not a whole lot of room under the Himalayan seat. That being said, I have seen a video where a bod exploits a potential space to the rear narrow edge of the battery.

Welcome.

I have now ridden four of the Royal Enfield range, two I did like, being the Himalayan and the Continental. Two I didn’t like, but for different reasons, being the Scram and the the GT. Very different bikes of course, which do get reviewed favourably elsewhere. It just goes to show the value in taking a loan bike out for a full day (not 20 minutes) and making your own mind up.

Along similar lines, the water cooled engine, 1200 or 1250, is horrible in the GS (I really didn’t like the bike at all) but, great in the RT. The old, non-WC engine on the other hand was great in the 1200 in both the GS and GSA variants. Horses for courses.

Which RE when you're 6' 4&quot;?

Welcome.

I have now ridden four of the Royal Enfield range, two I did like, being the Himalayan and the Continental. Two I didn’t like, but for different reasons, being the Scram and the the GT. Very different bikes of course. which do get reviewed favourably elsewhere. It just goes to show the value in taking a loan bike out for a full day (not 20 minutes) and making your own mind up.

Along similar lines, the water cooled engine, 1200 or 1250, in the GS is horrible but, great in the RT. The old, non-WC engine on the other hand was great in the 1200 in both the GS and GSA variants. Horses for courses.

Try the Super Meteor 650 next !
Gets 5 star reviews . Same motor as Intercontinental but more relaxed riding position . Quite possibly the perfect Sunday morning breakfast bimble bike !

0bf4bb07eb7f8db5230d9b8cfb5cf95d.jpg

You chaps are mixing up your Continental GTs, Intercontinentals and your Interceptors

We are indeed.

The one I like is definitely the Interceptor, in the Express colours.

Try the Super Meteor 650 next !
Gets 5 star reviews . Same motor as Intercontinental but more relaxed riding position . Quite possibly the perfect Sunday morning breakfast bimble bike !

0bf4bb07eb7f8db5230d9b8cfb5cf95d.jpg

I saw one of those in a dealership. They look better in the flesh than they do in the pictures. That being said, I am not quite in my dotage yet.

This is the conti GT I really liked it

As did I, until I spent a full day on it around the back roads of Essex, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire. There was something about the riding position that grated by mid-afternoon. But hey, it would be a dull world if we all liked (or disliked) the same thing.

As did I, until I spent a full day on it around the back roads of Essex, Suffolk and Cambridgeshire. There was something about the riding position that grated by mid-afternoon. But hey, it would be a dull world if we all liked (or disliked) the same thing.

I only rode it for a couple of hours it was great for hooning around North Wales roads, the chassis on that bike was brilliant, but If I was putting my money on the line it would be the interceptor

I only rode it for a couple of hours it was great for hooning around North Wales roads, the chassis on that bike was brilliant, but If I was putting my money on the line it would be the interceptor

I agree with you, absolutely.

We are indeed.

The one I like is definitely the Interceptor, in the Express colours.

There's a very low miles (10?) Baker Express Inty with some nice farkles for sale on the Faceache RE Conti/Inti buy and sell group. Will post a link if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom