Which RE when you're 6' 4"?

(RIP) spike418

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Always had a hankering for a RE just not sure which model and I prefer the sit upright position of ADVs. So although I'm 6' 4" I have relatively short legs 33" and the one time I had a go on a Himmie was a mates and he's similar size to me. It may have been the way he set it up but I felt bunched up.

Speed is not an issue in the Lake District unless you quite enjoy spending all day extricating yourself from the rear of the tractor/tourist/tanker stopped in the middle of the road, round every blind bend! At the moment any longer trips could be served by my 1100 or outfit if I can persuade wife and dog back into the chair :aidan

Initially I fancied a Bullet 500 classic, that was replaced as top desire by a 1960 built (year of my birth) 700 Constellation which had been converted to electric start and appears to have been looked after. As I'd be buying out of an inheritance from my mum, she being a fan of Brit bikes, I thought it was appropriate, unfortunately after being continually listed on Ebay for months it sold about a fortnight before the cash came through!

Then I saw the Scram 411, watched a load of reviews and thought yeah that's the one for me, see how fickle I can be. But then the idea of a Himalayan bit me again and the lust was rising. So I check the website of the nearest dealer to look into test rides of the Classic, Scram and a Himmie, until I came across the the 650 Super Meteor................

Never before have I been tempted by a cruiser but this was winking at me and flexing her curves (short break whilst I grab tissues :D).

I know in the end it's gonna be down to me and what I think after test rides. But can anyone raise plus and negative factors for REs and my height?

All thoughtful, helpful, irrelevant and scurrilous posts welcomed :beerjug:

I am 6ft and the Scram, Himi ,Continental and Interceptor fitted me fine, I would imagine any would cater for a 6ft 4 frame

these are our reviews, Stewart in the Videos is 6ft 1

Having ridden the Scram, the Himalayan and the 650 Continental GT, all for full days each, I could only recommend that you ride as many Royal Enfield models as you can. They are, all three, very different from each other and you are you not us.

By way of example, I would have bought the Scram had I lived in the twisties and wanted to ride around for an hour on the occasional Sunday, with the throttle wound around to 11. But I don’t, so I bought the Himalayan. They both share the same weedy engine but are very different to ride, the Himalayan being the much more relaxing of the two, the rider being happy to just set the throttle at 2/3rds and cruise along at 60 mph.

The GT I just didn’t like for all day use. I am though borrowing an Interceptor 650 for a full day next Friday, just to see what it is like.

Had the seat on my Himmie padded to make it thicker, meaning the legroom is much better for my 6Ft 2" frame.
The relatively low standard seat caused an uncomfortable bend at the knees.

Had the seat on my Himmie padded to make it thicker, meaning the legroom is much better for my 6Ft 2" frame.
The relatively low standard seat caused an uncomfortable bend at the knees.

^This. You've the option of recovering your seat +height you want from someone like SAS Autotrim or buy comfy high seat like Seat Concepts. I'm 'just' 6', but felt happier on a 2" higher Seat Concepts seat... YMMV

I took an Interceptor out for a test ride over a week ago.
It seemed a comfy fit in the showroom but spending an hour on it proved different. It felt cramped, so a higher seat could work or finding someway of lower the footpegs would be advantageous.
I'm 6'1" with an inside leg of 32", athletic build, like dining out and going for walks.

I took an Interceptor out for a test ride over a week ago.
It seemed a comfy fit in the showroom but spending an hour on it proved different. It felt cramped, so a higher seat could work or finding someway of lower the footpegs would be advantageous.
I'm 6'1" with an inside leg of 32", athletic build, like dining out and going for walks.

Interested! Athletic build is rare on GSer, do you have a friend you could bring along?

Interested! Athletic build is rare on GSer, do you have a friend you could bring along?

I could bring Al. Not only is he of athletic build but has the added advantage of being a RE Interceptor owner. You need to speak with him.
Oh, and his interests are health foods and triathlons.:D

I could bring Al. Not only is he of athletic build but has the added advantage of being a RE Interceptor owner. You need to speak with him.
Oh, and his interests are health foods and triathlons.:D

Come on Stu, you have to keep it plausible................

Sounds like a WLTM from the personal columns for RE owners, riders, interested parties or those just looking for company, LOL.

6'-1" my Interceptor is fine for me, got 2 seats GT touring one with a cowl and a custom one I had made from my standard seat, 20mm higher and gel pads so use that for longer rides but it's actually OK on standard seat really. The Conti GT might be a squeeze with rear sets and drop bars

Hitchcock's have a footpeg lowering kit if needed, I have 20mm up and back bar extenders from them which work good, I was thinking of fitting Triumph TR6 bars but would have meant longer cables.

Pic is standard GT touring seat and cowl....
85956f3e7732662e703a6a26c8fd982b.jpg

For someone who used to tour on an HP4, an SP1 and an HP2 Sport, I found the GT uncomfortable for a full day’s riding. I have a full day’s test ride on Friday on an Interceptor, just to give it a go.

For someone who used to tour on an HP4, an SP1 and an HP2 Sport, I found the GT uncomfortable for a full day’s riding. I have a full day’s test ride on Friday on an Interceptor, just to give it a go.
Be interesting to see how you go with it Wapping, I liked it completely stock from the off but thought straight away, I can probably improve this for me, for not a lot of money

Be interesting to see how you go with it Wapping, I liked it completely stock from the off but thought straight away, I can probably improve this for me, for not a lot of money

One hour down and I’m quite enjoying it. The only fault so far is that I find that the inside of my right knee hits the clutch actuator, when I put my leg down at the lights.

Back
Top Bottom