Finally!

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today i managed to do what ive been trying for over a year.
I downloaded a gpx file to my Nav6 and followed it for over 300 miles perfectly.

In the past i have been using GPX 1.1
and i dont find they work for me, i end up with a start and an end... nothing in between

GPX 1.0 is limited to 29 waypoints but it does work.

I added the GPX file, turned of recalculate and ticked auto skip waypoints.
off i went.
at one point it did feck up... but i was parked at the back of a car park and it thought i was on the road behind it, when of course i was riding of the front onto a different road.
I pushed the manual clear waypoint button and it quickly adjusted and brought the pink highlighted route to me as i got to the junction in front of said car park.

Hopefully this is good news going forward.

Good news.

What software did yiu use to create the route? MyRoute? BaseCamp? Something else?

GPX 1:1 and GPX 1.0 are versions with Myroute . As the OP says GPX version 1.0 is the best bet for the BMW nav.

I know. Umpteen different softwares can be used to create a route, then moved into MyRoute for onwards transfer into a navigstion device. I was simply trying to make sure what the fellow had used, in the hope of narrowing down the cause if his problem.

I am confused by the reference to there being nothing in between the start and end points and was wondering what software the fellow used to create the 300 mile route originally.

I am not sure what ‘nothing’ really means. I can only guess that by ‘nothing’ he meant that the route was in fact a track, which does indeed have ‘nothing’ (in the sense of shaping, way or via points) in between the start and the end points. This might be the cause of his problem, as version 1.1 exports both a route AND a track. Or did he only see a start point, the end point and a straight line between them?

The limit of the number of waypoints in any one route (‘trip’, to use Garmin’s phraseology) comes from Garmin based devices, not MyRoute.

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=7S1IiE1e7H4Iw1svGjJlb6

It is incredibly rare that any user will need 20 plus way or via points (points they have told their device that they must go through) on any day long route, even one of 300 miles. The only way I can think you’d ever come close was if the route was being used to navigate fully off-road.

I can create - using either MyRoute or BaseCamp - a day long, very accurate 350 miles or longer route with only three waypoints: 1 at the start, which has to be one; one at a midpoint, say for a lunch stop at a restaurant I must use as I am meeting someone there; one at the end, which has to be one, too. All the bits in between, I can use shaping points to guide the route along roads that I want to use. You can use up to 125 shaping points in any one route:

https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=7S1IiE1e7H4Iw1svGjJlb6

Version 1.1 of MyRoute is designed to work with Garmin devices, so it should work best with a Navigator VI.

Here is how to do it:

https://support.myrouteapp.com/supp...-instruction-video-exporting-to-bmw-navigator

This fellow has a whole string of videos on how to use the Navigator VI with MyRoute, which the OP might find useful:

https://www.youtube.com/@simonforder9661/videos

Some might be a little out of date.

But hey, if the OP has found a method that works for him, great. It matters not what version he used or if he did it standing on one leg. It works, which is all that matters.

i used MyRoute App and transferred directly.

I have in the past imported the GPX to basecamp first

Ive tried so my variations of importing, tracks, shaping point, waypoint, routes, auo calc on/off
ive had straight lines, nothing at all, a route that worked just not the one i planned!, and the correct start and destination but nothing in the middle.

so i got in the habit of putting waypoint on ALL roads i really want to ride, so over a full days ride i need more than the 29 limitation, so split the trip into 3 GPX files.
because i found that if i leave a gap between waypoint the nav went another way, so more waypoint forced it to go the way i wanted, this is probably back to when i still had auto correction on?
ive made so many changes ive got lost in it all.

The problem has been that after spending all week planning a perfect ride for the weekend, i set off with direction anxiety lol
i would love to relax and just enjoy my surroundings without worrying im going the wrong way :D

It may be that now i have it working, i can just plant a waypoint at the roman fort (Yesterday on Hardknott pass) and say a cafe?
maybe i dont need that many, another trip is needed to test that theory.... and it would be better and clearer tbh

as you say i have a working method and it has restored confidence in the Nav, that i had previously lost completely.
Hopefully i can make a few tweaks without breaking it, and get the route i want with just a couple of stop off point for photographs, drone footage, cafes, viewpoints etc etc

then i would be in dreamland ;)

I will check the videos and link, cheers.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, your problem with the Navigator VI (or indeed most Garmin devices) was very probably down to some aspect or another of auto-recalculation and / or something to do with the way the route was created.

Now that you have a method that you know works for you, great. But you can now experiment, but only if you want to.

Create two versions of the same route.

One, using the method you know that works, calling it say Version 1.

A second, using a different method. For instance, using more shaping points and less waypoints. In other words, when you get tempted to put in a waypoint, use a shaping point instead. It is easy to chose what sort of point to use in MyRoute. Call it, Version 2. You can also experiment, changing waypoints into shaping points and visa-versa, all from within the Nav VI itself.

Send BOTH routes to your Nav VI.

On the Nav VI chose version 2 and see how you get on, safe in the knowledge that you can always stop the route and load Version 1 if you get stuck.

You don’t have to use long 300 mile days to do this. A simple 30 to 50 mile morning out will do.

Then, when you have learned / seen for yourself what if anything happens, make Version 3 by changing something else.

In short, get to know your very powerful (but sometimes incredibly dumb) Garmin device. Over Covid I had forgotten some things and was having to learn them again, mixed with learning MyRoute and BMW’s Connected app. Most errors these days are down to owners’ own mistakes or misunderstandings, rather than the device itself. Remember, the device will only ever do what it has been told to do. Practice makes perfect, in other words. The super thing is that you can’t break it.

Back
Top Bottom