Reccommendations for a meandering route back to UK from south coast of France?

freddyfruitbat

Reaction score
I'm exploring the possibility of riding to the south coast of France in April where I'd be based for nearly a week doing some fun rideouts while my other half (flying down) would be otherwise involved. I'd need to get down there PDQ (so, a 2-day autoroute blast) but wold be able to take a bit more time returning home on nicer roads, so have been hunting around without much success (most 'published' routes I can find seem to be fairly circular).

Can anyone point me at any useful online resources, or suggest possible routes? I'd be based a little to the west of Montpellier, and currently am not too fussed about which channel route I'd take (home is NW England). Taking maybe 3-4 days to get home? Overnight ferry maybe?

Any thoughts would be most welcome

I'd be based a little to the west of Montpellier, and currently am not too fussed about which channel route I'd take (home is NW England). Taking maybe 3-4 days to get home? Overnight ferry maybe?

Any thoughts would be most welcome

Ready….Sète….Go

You’ll get hundreds of suggestions.

But here’s just one.

If it was me I’d initially head east and ride through the Gorge du Verdon to pick up the Route Napoleon , then dive off that to Die, over the Col du Rousset, ride the Combe Laval balcony road before heading up to the lake at Nantua then Chalons sur Saône.
After that it would just be a backroad ride to whichever port you chose

acb151679193194bfdf33e17401f1d18.png

9112f82f1cc855dd7da27aef72d2c338.png

the area between Montpelier and Clermont Ferrand is superb. Cevennes, Ardeche, Volcanes, Puy Mary, Tarn Gorge. Been there three times to different bits.

I've stayed in La Bourboule, Meyrueis, Millau and Le Puy en Velay in the past and would stay again. I would not go back to Vichy.

From there, progress north via the Morvan, Champagne & Ardennes if heading to Calais or North Sea ports.

Alternatively, head via Orleans, Tours, Blois etc in the Loire to Caen or Le Havre.

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions - much appreciated. I'm definitely going to do this now - I'm booking my outgoing ferry today (that's the 'cast-in-stone' one to Rotterdam, from where I'll have the 2-day blast south via autoroute) and will then take my time plotting a nice route home, plus some rideouts from where I'll be based, in Montpellier. At this point I think I'm going to return via overnight ferry Caen-Portsmouth - the shortest run home in the UK and in effect combining the crossing with a night's accommodation. But we'll see...

So many options, could head across over Mont Ventoux, around Gorge du verdon, up Route Des Grand Alpes, through the Doubs, into Luxembourg, across the Ardennes.

How long you got?

What do you mean by "Meander"

A quick 5 minute piss about on MRA and I came up with this, lots of nice roads, dodges Motorway almost until Calais.

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="600" height="286" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/route/7096053?lang=en"></iframe>

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions - much appreciated. I'm definitely going to do this now - I'm booking my outgoing ferry today (that's the 'cast-in-stone' one to Rotterdam, from where I'll have the 2-day blast south via autoroute) and will then take my time plotting a nice route home, plus some rideouts from where I'll be based, in Montpellier. At this point I think I'm going to return via overnight ferry Caen-Portsmouth - the shortest run home in the UK and in effect combining the crossing with a night's accommodation. But we'll see...

The routes offered up so far have MOSTLY (not all by any means) assumed a return crossing via Calais.

France is a big country, twice the size of the UK with near enough the same population. Montpellier to Caen is roughly 550 to 600 miles, so there are several meandering routes you could take back to Caen, up to and including via Provence and Annecy if the mood and time allowed it.

Let’s though assume you want to go reasonably northwards. Putting Montpellier and Caen into something as simple as ViaMichelin’s website, will spit out three different ‘non-motorway’ routes. All three are pretty decent. The site has an added advantage that you can zoom in to see the detail, rather like having a paper map in front of you.

7e0dbb341d6b25f3ce0dbabe4ac2e68e.png

56ac040f57ee0ec68eaf38b9fca7fecd.png

0833e1d23f0d357b0a6627f824c3c4b4.png

When zooming in, do take a note of when the motorway (which you are avoiding) does nothing more than track the course of the old D road, as in this example shown immediately above. The French obviously went to the huge expense of building the motorway. The reasons why vary but sometimes as it’s as simple as the old D road it replaced was garbage. It can sometimes make sense to hop on the motorway, at least for a stretch but that is up to you.

Likewise, bods on this forum swear blind that the only way to plot a route is to take the yellow D roads with a green border, as they are scenic. That is true, in as much as a fellow in the Michelin map maker’s office has decided that they are. This is fine but ‘scenic’ might not necessarily make them a “Great biking road, mate” as they’ll be just as ‘scenic’ for Fred and Dorris Bonkers, in their Honda Civic, maundering along. Likewise, look at a map, that ‘scenic’ road might take you through village, after village, after town, after village, after village, all jolly ‘scenic’ but possibly tedious if your real intent is to get to Caen to catch a specific ferry.

In other words, look at maps and decide for yourself if using roads A, B and C is definitely better than using roads, X, Y and Z.

One tip more. Michelin produce an excellent map, designed to answer questions like yours, ie. What is the ‘best’ way to go. It is map number 726. It strips out a lot of unnecessary detail, leaving just the main roads (including the very good BiS ‘tourist’ roads) which helps a lot. Highly recommended.

The routes offered up so far have assumed a return crossing via Calais.

Not all of them. I made the Caen suggestion if going home via Auvergne & Loire, and also options via Calais or North Sea. Post #4

So much choice really, the Morvan is well worth taking in as it is decent roads, mainly flowing and absolutely no traffic, a great way of dodging some N-S motorway boredom.

My route is 3-4 days, probably 4 for anyone not really close to Folkestone / Dover, and I would be tempted to shorten it by a day to have another day down towards the south, possibly a day looping around the Vercors or the area around Gorge du Verdon, or stopping in Castellane and then a day out into some of the best of RDGA, but if you shorten it by 2 days then you looking at 2 days of constant motorway boredom.

More westerly I know a lot less about, but you have the Volcans for a start, but in my experience / limited knowledge there is less in the way of good alternatives to motorways / main roads as you get about half way home, whereas Morvan - Verdun - Ardennes route I posted pretty dodges all motorway / really dull roads until the last 2-3 hours of the run, at which point it becomes very much a case of diminishing returns trying to dodge the motorway.

Also worth noting a lot of the "not so great" French backroads seem bloody marvelous on the way to the Alps / Cevennes / Pyrenees or wherever, but on the way back can seem a bit "Meh" after what you have just been enjoying a day or two earlier, we have found ourselves altering our route towards the end of the last day to pickup the motorway and get home sooner, whereas there is no way we would of done the opposite on the way out (unless it is pissing down)

The Michelin "Green Routes" are indeed not 100% guaranteed to be a great biking road, but probably have a higher overal % chance of being good compared to non green routes, so I do keep an eye out for them, and then check them out a bit closer - does it go through lots if urban areas (not very often TBH) is it twisty (more often than not they are) is it a goat track (occasionally) street view is also quit ehandy for doing a bit of "spot checking" on such things as well.

I have on occasion ridden along Michelin Green routes and failed to find any nice curves or interesting scenery, or at least nothing I found interesting, I have also ridden roads with amazing scenery that Michelin have inexplicably failed to properly highlight.

Not least, the ‘must do’ green lined roads do not by any means cover the whole of France, making it impossible to get from Montpellier to Caen, using them exclusively. By the same token, using every D road over the 550 mile distance, might well take longer than the time the fellow has set aside for his wander back.

Just out of vague interest, I asked Kurviger for its windiest route between Montpellier and Caen. Not surprisingly, the estimated A to be B distance leaps up by well over 100 miles.

f8c719d780fcb6e30b9a5f3cec1e55c2.png

On true, left, right, left, left, right D roads, that 100 miles alone might take half a day….. possibly missing the ferry as a consequence.

The request and all the replies does show how difficult it can be to suggest routes across a big country, when one really has no idea what the fellow really wants. The best advice, as given to my father in 1950’s downtown New York, who asked a policeman for directions: ”Get a map, bum!”. It still holds good today.

Hopefully, the OP will let us know what he decides on and, better still, how he got on.

Hopefully, the OP will let us know what he decides on and, better still, how he got on.
Thanks very much for all the proffered advice; much appreciated. I've used the suggestions to cobble together a proposed 3-day ride up through France to Caen. Slight screw up in that I was too late to book an overnighter as planned as all the small cabins had gone - and I'm too cheap to spring the £400(!) for a bigger cabin, and too old to sleep all night in a chair with a full day's ride next day. So, two days at around 6hrs/230 miles with the third day about half that.

Several people advocated spending time in the Massif Central and heading east a bit, where there definitely are some great roads and scenery; however I'm going to be based down in that area for a few days and will definitely be spending time exploring it on day rideouts.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's what I've come up with. These are basically all keeping off the autoroutes and hopping between the National Parks wherever feasible:

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="600" height="286" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com//embed/route/7169903?lang=en"></iframe>

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="600" height="286" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com//embed/route/7169901?lang=en"></iframe>

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="600" height="286" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/route/7169906?lang=en"></iframe>

As I said, I do now need to be in Caen mid-afternoon on Day 3, but otherwise nothing else is fixed. if anyone who's familiar with the areas/route and can spot any obvious omissions please let me know!

I'm currently away on this jaunt, down near Montpellier, France, having an absolute ball on rideouts. Amazing roads and scenery here.

This is a bit of a longshot but I would greatly appreciate some insight from anyone actually familiar with these roads. Tomorrow I'm off up to Gorge du Tarn, following the D907BIS as has been recommended here. However, I'm torn over the next 2-hour stretch, from Florac-Trois-Rivières to Sommieres: how does the N106 route compare with the D9?
https://goo.gl/maps/JLwmA9W83L4r6Qbw6
https://goo.gl/maps/Sr6uJ3rfimLtrdQ37

I'm sure they'll both be fine but anyone know them? (Need to know today!)

(I've done a lot of prep on MyRouteApp before coming down here, but it's still interesting(?) how sometimes reality doesn't meet expectation... eg today what should have been a nice leisurely single-carriageway road turned out to be 5 km of a totally pot-holed, gravel strewn farm track where I couldn't turn back, and which caused a hell of a lot of sweat and foul language!) Oh and the POI for a scheduled fuel station which was... a lie :censor: Always. Check. Streetview.)

(I've done a lot of prep on MyRouteApp before coming down here, but it's still interesting(?) how sometimes reality doesn't meet expectation... eg today what should have been a nice leisurely single-carriageway road turned out to be 5 km of a totally pot-holed, gravel strewn farm track where I couldn't turn back, and which caused a hell of a lot of sweat and foul language!) Oh and the POI for a scheduled fuel station which was... a lie Always. Check. Streetview.)

Just a few days ago, we were told on this forum to never look at any roads on Google Street View, as it took the ‘adventure’ out of it.

But hey, 5 km out of a holiday of probably over 1,500 km isn’t the end of the world. Can you tell us where the stretch was please, using MyRoute if possible. Thank you.

Nah, go over Mont Aigoual https://goo.gl/maps/VbDyZSZwLGa3dhDv7
If sticking with those other routes, D9 as the N road gets a bit urban half way. N roads generally busier as well.

Thanks so much Wessie! That Mont Aigoual route does look great, but quite a bit longer and unfortunately I was a bit pushed for time to add that in. So, went with your D9 which was an absolute peach. Perfect conditions and don't think I saw another vehicle all afternoon. The Gorges du Tarn was pretty damned excellent too.

Just a few days ago, we were told on this forum to never look at any roads on Google Street View, as it took the ‘adventure’ out of it.
But hey, 5 km out of a holiday of probably over 1,500 km isn’t the end of the world. Can you tell us where the stretch was please, using MyRoute if possible. Thank you.

Hmm, personally I have to disagree with that one, but I guess it depends what sort of ride you're doing and want you want to to get out of it. I'm cool without that sort of 'adventure'! That's maybe more suited to working with paper maps; one issue I think with using electronically plotted routes is that the computer can work out what it thinks is an ideal route between A and B, and it appears to be just that on screen; but when you get wheels on the ground you find that you're actually faced with 10 km of a poxy cart track rather than 9.9 km of flowing B-road. Or something like that! As to where my cock-up happened the other day, I'm unable to pinpoint it now because the Nav had taken me way off piste - I certainly wasn't following the route I'd set up on the laptop the day before, anyway. One thing I've really noticed using the GPS out here in rural France compared with the UK is that there are far more errors in the mapping, especially unrecognised one-way roads. Here's an example from yesterday where it attempted to send me (by no means not the only one)
(check out Streetview!)

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="600" height="286" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com//embed/route/7298893?lang=en"></iframe>

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom