E-SIMS for your travels

I sure this is all very helpful but to me at least it appears to be a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. My phone is an iPhone 8, my provider is O2 it works everywhere I’ve been (admittedly only Europe) the calls work, the messages work, the data works. Just what extra would I get? O2 don’t charge for roaming so no point mucking about getting other local SIM cards.

I sure this is all very helpful but to me at least it appears to be a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist…._

…. And for people who don’t subscribe to O2 or travel outside of Europe, what then?

…. And for people who don’t subscribe to O2 or travel outside of Europe, what then?

Well if it’s me going I’ll probably pay the few quid per day asked by my provider to enable roaming.
That’s bound to be cheaper than spending at least £1000 on a new phone and then whatever it costs to buy a local SIM card.

Why would anyone buy a new phone “At more than a thousand pounds”? Most modern phones (which many people already own) are more than capable of running two sims or an actual sim with a virtual one. Even if they didn’t, my refurbished Samsung S10 (bought only as a navigation device for my 1600) was under a tenth of that price; it’s fully capable of running twin sims. Unfortunately it seems your iPhone 8 is not. But hey, for an O2 user, only in Europe, it’s great :thumb2

:beerjug:

Why would anyone buy a new phone “At more than a thousand pounds”? Most modern phones (which many people already own) are more than capable of running two sims or an actual sim with a virtual one. Even if they didn’t, my refurbished Samsung S10 (bought only as a navigation device for my 1600) was under a tenth of that price; it’s fully capable of running twin sims. Unfortunately it seems your iPhone 8 is not. But hey, for an O2 user, only in Europe, it’s great :thumb2

:beerjug:

Because they can?

The implied suggestion from glenn2926 was that the person would be buying the thousand pound plus phone, as a second phone, then adding the foreign SIM card…. And yes, my two iPhones were indeed expensive, as I don’t doubt was yours. I can add the second sim or an e-sim, because I can. The opening post’s tip is therefore very useful.

Of course, if I owned an iPhone 8 and subscribed to O2, only traveled in Europe and didn’t want to buy any other phone at all, but was happy to pay the top-up roaming charges other carriers might levy, then the opening post would be less than useful. His is indeed a neat workaround, but only on that basis.

I sure this is all very helpful but to me at least it appears to be a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist. My phone is an iPhone 8, my provider is O2 it works everywhere I’ve been (admittedly only Europe) the calls work, the messages work, the data works. Just what extra would I get? O2 don’t charge for roaming so no point mucking about getting other local SIM cards.

Well if it’s me going I’ll probably pay the few quid per day asked by my provider to enable roaming.
That’s bound to be cheaper than spending at least £1000 on a new phone and then whatever it costs to buy a local SIM card.

You don't have to buy a new sim card fella thats the whole point of e-sims...

Maybe as you clearly don't understand the point you should probably just ignore posts that go above your head.

Weird 02 are not the only provider and you haven't been everywhere I have or will.

You sound like my dad who doesn't understand that technology will leave you behind, and maybe thats why he is also frustrated to find out his old phone doesn't do many of the things the newer phones can do.....I have the latest top of the range Samsung phone and didn't pay £1000....maybe because unlike you I know that you can exchange your older phone via Samsung and get a significate discount to take it well under £1000 (I actually got £350 off)

I'm sure there are people out there that still think the internet is useless and we should all still be writing on paper and sending them via Royal Mail because buying a computer is just stupid....but here we are.

Last edited by a moderator:

The problem with that is if you are going to use a lot of data. There is normally a limit of 25gb on a trip, at least there is with Vodafone, that is easily used up if you watch Netflix or similar. In Finland for a couple of weeks in January when it was dark by 3 we watched a few films but bought a local SIM card with unlimited data to do so. It is still in my wife's phone as a second card.

I also use my smartphone as a satnav saving me some £400= for a decent stand alone sat nav, which still can't do what my smart phone can with live traffic information.

I’ve already saved a fair bit using esims.
Vodafone charge £6 per day in a non- roaming free place like Singapore . But I can get a month for $15!
I did 2 trips there that would have cost me 12 days at £6 so £72 but instead cost me about £12.50.

Also been to Buenos Aires and Santiago a few times recently.

$11 per trip instead of £6 per day

Vodafone charge £6 per day in a non- roaming free place like Singapore . But I can get a month for $15!
I did 2 trips there that would have cost me 12 days at £6 so £72 but instead cost me about £12.50.

This is the exact reason why I posted this information....it can save someone lots of money by getting a local sim

That’s why I’ll probably be using one. I doubt if I’ll actually need it but I’d sooner have it paid for and available than give Vodafone another £6/day.

How to order an esim UK

I've looked at the Vodafone and O2 websites but cannot see how to order an Esim they both only appear to offer sims by post, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

I am with O2 and wish i knew about this eSim thing when i went to Turkey.

Think i was charged £6 a day for roaming, which mounted up to well over hundred quid.
an eSim would have been cheaper.

And yes i own a flagship Samsung all singing all dancing with more megapixels than i can shake a stick at.
still got billed though once i was home :D

ah well maybe next time, but im only riding as far as Czech Republic so should be free to roam.
although i do need to up my data anyway.

Back
Top Bottom