Returning But Lost

Hookster

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
HD8 . In t'Western Riding of Yorkestersershire
Hi, it’s a good few years since I sold the GS now but I’ve had an 04 R1150R for a while now. I find it cramped and tried to have the seat made higher and comfier. The local upholsterer succeeded in making it softer but this negated the extra height once it has my 17 stone on it. Therefore, I soon get cramps in my old hip joints and rarely use the bike. I understand there is or was a ‘tall’ option seat but I’m a bit lost searching in the for sale ads and/or how to post correctly in the Wanted section.

Not wanting to upset any rules or moderators, any tips/links/advice gratefully received.

All the best. C

Steve

Couldn't an upholsterer put some really firm foam in as a base for say 3 inches, and then standard stuff on top?

have you looked to see if there is a peg lowering kit? Many, like me, with an R1200RS have lowered the pegs to relax the riding position. Have you tried one of those inflatable seat cushions like an Airhawk?

I used one of these on my 1200r until I managed to find a higher sport seat, 25-30 mm thick, my wife has one on the pillion seat, quite comfy apparently.

Al.

Attachments

• 488C1D04-BB8A-4D7F-963C-4476F202FAE6.jpeg
    488C1D04-BB8A-4D7F-963C-4476F202FAE6.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 323
have you looked to see if there is a peg lowering kit? Many, like me, with an R1200RS have lowered the pegs to relax the riding position. Have you tried one of those inflatable seat cushions like an Airhawk?

Does the lowering kit put the pegs at greater risk of grounding? No, I’ve not tried Airhawk, I’ll investigate. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does the lowering kit put the pegs at greater risk of grounding? No, I’ve not tried Airhawk, I’ll investigate. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yes, you can scrape the pegs more easily but not a major problem if you keep the preload on a higher setting

of course the expensive option

trade in for a full height GSA, test riding first obviously

Yeah, well them days are behind me sadly. I ended up here first time around after getting a 1150GS and then a 1200gs, then a Mutlydastard, then a 990SMT, then Guzzi Trevor now so skint the old 1150R is having to do. Someone on here once told me I shouldn't have a bike if I couldn't afford one, which is probably true.

Hi Hookster,
Try Tony Archer car trimmers, Unit 7d, Bradley Mills, Bradley Mills Rd, Huddersfield, HD1 6PQ.

He did a seat on my sisters Triumph street triple, she wanted it lowering and sculpting and also (to be different) he diamond stitched the seat. A really impressive job.
Not sure how to add photos on here from my Mac book, but check him out.

Hi Hookster,
Try Tony Archer car trimmers, Unit 7d, Bradley Mills, Bradley Mills Rd, Huddersfield, HD1 6PQ.

He did a seat on my sisters Triumph street triple, she wanted it lowering and sculpting and also (to be different) he diamond stitched the seat. A really impressive job.

I think he has retired. It was posted on here recently.

Edit: found the link https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...Yorkshire-Tony-archer?highlight=archer+retire

I used one of these on my 1200r until I managed to find a higher sport seat, 25-30 mm thick, my wife has one on the pillion seat, quite comfy apparently.

Al.

They double as a useful camping pillow too!

If you want your seat custom made to suit, try Tracey Dyke, she is based between Stafford and Telford in the wilds, but her work is sought after and she does show winning cars, bikes, trikes camper vans, 3-piece suites etc... she did the seat on my X Challenge, different cover material on the sides to the top too, rough and grippy on top, smooth on the sides to allow freedom of movement when stood. She is absolutely brilliant.

https://www.facebook.com/dykeupholsteryservice/?locale=en_GB

Hi Hookster,

Think I used these guys in the past if they're near the football stadium and cinema? Very busy and popular and don't know wy I didn't think of them first time around! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom