Compatibility of parts

dub 24

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hoping some of you more knowledgeable folks can help me out. I have the opportunity to buy a rear drive , drive shaft from a mate . The bike in question is a 2005 1200gs I have a 2010 twin cam gs . I'm buying these as spares to have and was hoping someone can confirm they will fit my 2010.

Getttting 2nd hand parts here is like trying to source rocking horse sh*t and Motorworks are now out of the question because of VAT Duties etc

Cheers

www.realoem.com

Look up the driveshaft for your bike & the driveshaft for your friends

If the part numbers are the same, happy days

be aware you need to know month of manufacture for your & your mates bike (as well as year)

There are generally 2part revisions every year 04 & 08 if i recall, but parts can be changed at any time, so you need to do your homework

There is at least one difference IIRC, my 2005 needed the bevel box hinging down to drain the oils, my 2009 has a bespoke drain plug.
Functionally it may be not different and in some respects a retrograde step as the original design forced one to split the spline joint, inviting the re-lubing of same.

I believe there is a difference in the number of splines on the driveshaft between early and later models.

Call Motorworks and ask them. Count number of splines on your bike versus mate's bike to determine

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cheers lads for all the input really appreciate it

The drive on the TCs has a different bearing and oil seal set up….doesn’t mean that you can’t use the final drive (other than the spline issue) but the later TC FDs are better so why go backwards.

From 2008 the gearbox output shaft was larger,so the shaft is no good to you.
Although the early 2005 rear drive would physically fit, the abs systems are very different ,with different fittings.
These are not compatible,so the rear drive is of no use to you either.
There are lots of differences but the above is the quick answer.

Oldnfat, mickeyboy thanks for the advice and information

Back
Top Bottom