Recommend me a large hold-all with wheels

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, here’s the situation; I need to be able to get a significant amount of clothing and sundry items around airports while still carrying a rucksack full of electrical toys which makes putting bags over shoulders quite difficult.

Winter trips are obviously the worst ones because of carrying thermals for work and extra overalls in case we get days of continuous rain so I’m going to replace my existing bags with new. For the last 7 or 8 years I’ve used a Berghaus bag that has compartments at either end for dirty clothing and an overall capacity of 70l but no wheels meaning it has to be hung over my shoulder and bounce off my rucksack. That was always ok because I just had a couple of boxes in my truck where I kept my work gear plus a 40l bag to carry it on site. The trouble now is that I’m out of the country a lot more of the time so I’m going to have to take it all on any flights I make.

Excess baggage costs are irrelevant and if I need to take even more then it’s ok, the company will always pay it because they simply don’t care. I reckon I can get away with buying another 70l bag for personal items and a 100l one for work PPE and a small box of what I consider to be essential tools so hit me with recommendations to suit these requirements:

Must be robust overall but it’s very important to have strong wheels.
Preferably at least water resistant but not necessarily totally waterproof.
Preferred if they have dirty/wet compartments to keep clean stuff clean when finishing jobs.
Not hard cases, we’ve got plenty of those already and I prefer holdalls because they normally have shoulder straps and if I have to walk up a few flights of stairs hard cases are shit :D

Cost? I’ll be claiming it back so it has to be deemed to be realistic by my line manager who just happens to be Romanian and judges costs against Romanian salaries but understands that living in Western Europe of the UK ramps prices up. I’ll probably get away with up to £200 per bag.

I've got a large Mountain Equipment one that is very good and solid, wheels seem strong. It's weatherproof in their standard black heavy shiny material. I can try and find a model name.

Edit, guessing it's this one

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/wet-dry-roller-kit-bag-70l

Funnily enough I was looking at those bags earlier, especially because a few places are reducing the price of them at the moment.

I’ve used various bags over the years both for work trips and trips to the mountains and found that the cheap ones have zips that suddenly let go but I’d imagine the ones on a Mountain Equipment bag will be up to their normal standards and not suffer in that way.

I like Alpkit stuff. They do a Voyager which might be worth a look and it's about half the price. Plus their service and after-sales is excellent.

However as it's not your cash I'd probably also go with the Mountain Equipment one, just on reputation.

Klim Kodiak looks good

Expensive but good

Bags specifically designed for bike kit were on the radar as a good way to carry my PPE because of having boots, hard hat, big coat etc along with at least 4 pairs of overalls but the good ones would require me to pay for it myself and the ones I’ve actually looked at that I think I’d get away with back charging generally seemed a bit lightweight.

My main worry is how well they’ll stand up to baggage handlers throwing them about, especially in what I’d describe as 3rd World shit holes and while my original go to bags for that kind of use were TNF Base Camp ones in various sizes their wheeled ones are more than I think I could put in a receipt for. We’re not allowed to part invoice so I can’t spend £250 on something and only try to get back £150-200 or I’d probably do that.

I’m off for a few days so I might go shopping tomorrow, or if not shopping at least viewing :D

Might be worth checking out Burton, the snowboard company? They make, or at least used to make tough wheeled cases. I've got a couple of them. Wheels seem like tough skateboard kit.

Used Dakine stuff for years when skiing. Well made and durable but not cheap
If you pick a size and search the internet you can usually get a bargain either in a sale or in a not as popular colour
Currently got a Dakine split roller which was used last year for USA at 25kgs and Egypt this year 15kgs - 7 flights, still looks like new
With the compartments and straps easy to use half or full
Only downside is its a 2 wheel roller but easy to move around
Lots of permutations in the range

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhOp0ks8sMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8u3GIQuxTA

I have quite a lot of stuff from these guys, hard to beat in terms of quality & value https://www.lomo.co.uk/product-category/dry-bags-boxes/dry-bag-holdalls/

I always used a 40l Lomo bag for my PPE when I was travelling to site in a van and I use a bigger one to keep all my camping gear dry on the bike but they don’t do a bag with wheels and that’s an absolute deal breaker because you can’t always get a trolley at airports and carrying 2 big bags plus a rucksack with electronics in it for half a mile or more isn’t my idea of good fun. A prime example is that it’s approaching a mile from luggage collection to the hire cars at Schiphol and last time I landed there I had to wander around looking for a trolley for about 30 minutes due to 2 big flights arriving shortly before mine. Even at Manchester last Thursday I had to scour the baggage hall to find one but luckily I was only carrying my rucksack at the time.

MX gear bag?
516ed7bec27670050e4d2146d63bcf04fd4a8841_131442546246768944NR1WBAG_cze262017_4_Edit.PNG

https://www.24mx.co.uk/product/24mx-all-in-one-big-wheely-gear-bag_pid-NR1WBAG

I use Dakine roller bags 100l. I can fit in a load of ski kit. might not fit your waterproof requirement. But you could look at Mountain equipment roller bags.

I went for the Mountain Equipment 100l wheeled bags in the end simply because they outwardly appear more robust than similarly priced alternatives, especially when you take into account the discount available.

I do like Mountain Equipment stuff. I have a lot of their base layers, mid layers and down jackets.

Back
Top Bottom