Upgrade Lid

Wildfowler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I currently have Nolan N87 lid which I have had since 2018 which is fine bar a few scratches I am looking to get a decent comms kit. The options I have is keep this one and get a Nolan n-COM which would be the cheapest option or upgrade to a new helmet and get a new comms for that. I was looking at a Shoei Neotec 2 with a Sena comms. That is more expensive option but I see good reviews for that and also the Schuberth C5 though the comms option for that is quite expensive. I normally ride all year around but not last couple years and I normally go away couple times a year on 2-3 day tours.

So questions for fellow riders. How often do you change your lid. I know everyone rides differently and in different conditions etc.?

Is the just adding a worth it i.e. £180 compared to £500 + Comms upgrade

Any responses to my post much appreciated.

Foe me a good quality comfortable and well safe helmet is worth the price and I am happy to pay extra for this over cheap helmets

I suppose it is a case of you get what you pay for certainly the top end lids have better padding and usually better quality visors and pillocks etc

As for the coms side that is just a do I need it will I use it nice to have option but the Senna Mesh which I believe is now available as the built in option on Neotec is very good

I have more than one lid on the go at any one time but reckon not to keep the ones I do most miles in more than about five years, or something like 35-40,000 miles. I’ll go through several visors in that time too.

Whatever you go for it is worth checking the Cardo comms systems out as they are rather good.

if you buy the Nolan comms unit, will it fit a newer helmet when you eventually bin the N87? If you have a Nolan shaped head and have been happy with the N87, why change brand when it is time to change?

No idea about Nolan but the new Sena SRL Mesh for the Neotec 2 is outstanding .
Amazing intercom clarity and great sound quality with Harman Kardon speakers.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I decided to go for the ncom, popped to my local bike shop and purchased a B601 and have just installed it on my Nolan lid. I did try on a Shoei neotec but didnt like the fit. Maybe it is because I have never used a flip lid before. I did see on motologends that they will help fit a lid for you so I may take the plunge next year. Safe riding

I currently have Nolan N87 lid which I have had since 2018 which is fine bar a few scratches I am looking to get a decent comms kit. The options I have is keep this one and get a Nolan n-COM which would be the cheapest option or upgrade to a new helmet and get a new comms for that. I was looking at a Shoei Neotec 2 with a Sena comms. That is more expensive option but I see good reviews for that and also the Schuberth C5 though the comms option for that is quite expensive. I normally ride all year around but not last couple years and I normally go away couple times a year on 2-3 day tours.

So questions for fellow riders. How often do you change your lid. I know everyone rides differently and in different conditions etc.?

Is the just adding a worth it i.e. £180 compared to £500 + Comms upgrade

Any responses to my post much appreciated.

The two models you have mentioned whilst suiting the same sort of head shape have slightly different sizing, for me the large in Schuberth was 58/59 which I found uncomfortably tight wheras shoei large is 59/60 and perfect, I also would steer clear of built in headsets and go for either a packtalk which will fit perfectly with the shoei, or the sena equivalent. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom