Small and Light- KTM390 vs BMW 650 single

Greenman14

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m considering downsizing- it’s an age thing and I’m finding my Tiger 800, at probably > 210kg, is a bit of a handful. I know there’s no substitute for a test ride, and I also know I’m a sucker and I usually buy what I test :blast. So, why is a KTM390 with 44bhp described as fast and a BM650 single, with 50BHP, definitely not? anyone got experience of both bikes?

I suspect it's a combination of the KTM weighing 155 kg wet and the notion of it being fast for a 390 single. An F650 GS, on the other hand is 192 kg wet and only has an additional 6 bhp.

They're both probably achieve close to the same top speed of c. 100 mph but the KTM no doubt feels quicker.

If it were me, I'd buy a nice clean G650 X-Country. 150 kg and 53 bhp. In fact I did, although initially, mine was dog slow because it was limited to 25 kW and none of its previous owners appear to have noticed.

We have a G310GS, F650GS Dakar and G650 X-moto. The Dakar is probably not noticeably lighter than the Tiger, the X-moto is but still heavier than the 310, the 310 is smaller in the saddle than the others and requires a lot more input to get it and keep up to speed. It's fast for what it is but it's not fast, the 650's sit comfortably at m-way speeds with some reserve, I've not ridden one but I'd guess the G650 X-Country would be your best compromise as a full size bike.

Bought a 390 Adventure for Denise to replace her F650 GS (twin)
The 390 "feels" a lot lighter than it's weight suggests, but does need to be revved if you want to get anywhere. Quite pleasant on back roads, will do dual carriageways and motorways at 60 - 65. After that gets very buzzy.
Mark

I had an early 390 as a loan bike while my 1190 was being serviced and was decidedly unimpressed. My wife rode one, thought it was great so bought one to use for commuting to work then when she went over to working from home full time she decided it was pointless having it and got rid of it to buy a Triumph 765 Street Triple for riding around on smaller roads.

They’re good if you’ve got a use for it where you’ve mentally defined what you want and expect from a motorbike otherwise I’d put them into the box marked good first bike for a girl :D

Funny, I developed something of an X-Country itch when I saw the Nicholson project version for sale a while ago. Schtum, your looks the real thing though they do seem quite rare; I probably should have bought the Shetland bike sight unseen:blast

Hello Greenman, I did buy "the shetland bike" and it's a cracking little thing. I'd had an X Country before but sold it as I thought I'd carry on with my 1150GS, however a Hernia diagnosis changed my mind! They are few and far between but well worth looking out, peppy and indeed very light. Cheers:beerjug:John B

I and a friend run 390 Dukes. Great bikes that you can ride hard with less risk of being locked up. The Duke 390 comes with lower gearing and we both find this hard work with too many gear changes and revving its nuts off at higher speed. It comes with a 45 on rear but we are both running 42's. 43 would be even better but you can only buy 43 in Alloy which seem to be made of cheese. The 42 is available in steel and alloy. We both run Steel.

The bike is beautifully light, rides like a 125 with 44bhp, and returns amazing mpg even if you ride it hard. I easi;y get 150 miles a tank and if doing longer runs at say mid 70's on motorway you can get up to 200 miles.

Steve my mate, also on here has done some serious miles on his including trips to the Alps, TT etc.

We both run screens to provide a bit of protection.

Hello Greenman, I did buy "the shetland bike" and it's a cracking little thing. I'd had an X Country before but sold it as I thought I'd carry on with my 1150GS, however a Hernia diagnosis changed my mind! They are few and far between but well worth looking out, peppy and indeed very light. Cheers:beerjug:John B

I’m looking, but they do seem quite rare.

I and a friend run 390 Dukes. Great bikes that you can ride hard with less risk of being locked up. The Duke 390 comes with lower gearing and we both find this hard work with too many gear changes and revving its nuts off at higher speed. It comes with a 45 on rear but we are both running 42's. 43 would be even better but you can only buy 43 in Alloy which seem to be made of cheese. The 42 is available in steel and alloy. We both run Steel.

The bike is beautifully light, rides like a 125 with 44bhp, and returns amazing mpg even if you ride it hard. I easi;y get 150 miles a tank and if doing longer runs at say mid 70's on motorway you can get up to 200 miles.

Steve my mate, also on here has done some serious miles on his including trips to the Alps, TT etc.

We both run screens to provide a bit of protection.

As a new 390 Duke owner ( June 22) I wholeheartedly agree with RJ’s comments above. I also have a F700gs twin eg 70 bhp and 200kgs. The duke certainly feels faster………………….but it isnt, its just more frenetic and as RJ says you are shifting all the time whereas the F700 does 20 to 80ish in third with no changes.

The gamechanger for me is the weight. They are so easy to move around the garage or manoeuvre. If you get a test drive make sure the demo bike has 1000 plus miles on as they are quite tight engines from new and loosen up after 1000/1500 miles.

Certainly a hoot to ride and nothing like as serious as a F650 single.

As a new 390 Duke owner ( June 22) I wholeheartedly agree with RJ’s comments above. I also have a F700gs twin eg 70 bhp and 200kgs. The duke certainly feels faster………………….but it isnt, its just more frenetic and as RJ says you are shifting all the time whereas the F700 does 20 to 80ish in third with no changes.

The gamechanger for me is the weight. They are so easy to move around the garage or manoeuvre. If you get a test drive make sure the demo bike has 1000 plus miles on as they are quite tight engines from new and loosen up after 1000/1500 miles.

Certainly a hoot to ride and nothing like as serious as a F650 single.

I love mine.

Back
Top Bottom